TOS fans age range survery

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Commander Kielbasa, Aug 13, 2017.

?

What is your age range?

1. Under 18

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 18-24

3 vote(s)
    3.7%
  3. 25-29

3 vote(s)
    3.7%
  4. 30-34

8 vote(s)
    9.8%
  5. 35-39

7 vote(s)
    8.5%
  6. 40-45

14 vote(s)
    17.1%
  7. 46-50

14 vote(s)
    17.1%
  8. 51-55

14 vote(s)
    17.1%
  9. 56-60

15 vote(s)
    18.3%
  10. 60+

4 vote(s)
    4.9%
  1. Poltargyst

Poltargyst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Your parents really liked that one,huh?

2. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

For me it would likely be somewhere in the vicinity of "The Lights of Zetar" and "Requiem for Methuselah".

3. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

I was born early in 1980 and my dad raised me on a steady diet of Star Trek and Perry Mason (I still enjoy watching both shows and comparing the guest stars.)

I recall being 7 when TNG first aired and being pretty excited. I stayed with it through it's whole first run but DS9 lost me after about a year. I tried again with Voyager and Enterprise and those shows didn't last long for me either.

To this day I still think of TOS first. And as much a fan of TNG as I am, I must admit that a friend kept praising DS9 so I watched it all the way through and I think I might like it just a bit more than TNG. I'm having a similar experience with Voyager right now, only about half of year 7 left to see on my Netflix binge. That show took longer to get good than DS9 did, but by now, I'm really enjoying it. I never could get all the way through Enterprise.

But that said, any time I want to do something creative with Star Trek (fan art, model building, table-top role-playing games) I always open up the TOS tap. Something about the imagery and the spirit of that show. Not to mention that TOS started out strong and got a little harder to watch as it drew on, while the other shows started out weak and had to grow into themselves.

--Alex

C57D and Kor like this.
  4. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If it was a TV show, I guarantee it wasn't that one. I don't think my dad has seen an episode of Star Trek to this day.

5. Spock's Barber

Spock's Barber Commodore Commodore

I'm older than Miri but younger than Flint. :whistle:

Greg Cox, Herbert, Kor and 1 other person like this.
  6. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I'm 38 and now twice as old as when I first registered here. You have no idea how bizarre that is.

Of course, someone is probably bound to say, "Twice nothing is still nothing."

7. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

I will be 59 next Tuesday. I think I was 42 when I joined the BBS.

Greg Cox likes this.
  8. Herbert

Herbert Commodore Commodore

49. I remember watching in syndication in the 70s.

9. ChasFink

ChasFink Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

59 and just joined up here. If anyone wants to ask about what it was like when Trek was young, please do.

Commander Kielbasa likes this.
  10. C57D

C57D Guest

Welcome to (going by this poll so far!) old grognards central.
    And a informative and (mostly) friendly forum.
    I am just three years behind you at 56, and been on this forum for a few years now. Its certainly been an interesting ride!

Commander Kielbasa likes this.
  11. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

There's a "slingshot maneuver" joke here somewhere. ;)

Trekfan12, Albertese and J.T.B. like this.
  12. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

45, going on 46 in October.

I was on the front side of 30 when I joined. :eek:

13. Commander Kielbasa

Commander Kielbasa Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

If it counts for anything, I envy the people who got the chance to see Trek when it first aired. Must've been a better time when liking Trek was more of a special club than anything else.

C57D and Trekfan12 like this.
  14. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I suspect that the majority are in the 35+ age range as for many in that bracket they'll remember a time when there was no other Star Trek show but Star Trek (and a few movies)

C57D likes this.
  15. Poltargyst

Yep. Lived and died Star Trek back then. It's all there was. Heck, I remember when there was no STAR WARS.

C57D likes this.
  16. T'Bonz

I didn't really get to see it first run (perhaps an ep or 2) because my parents didn't like it. :rolleyes: They did however watch every other cheesy sci-fi show of the time, including Lost in Space. :confused:

17. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm 55, and by age 11 when TAS came along (1973), I was already a dyed in the wool fan of The Original Series. Deep-dyed. Star Trek was the biggest thing in my life.

The biggest differences back then:
    - There was no home video yet. The only recording I could do was to hold a microphone up to the TV and get the sound on audio tape. I also used my parents' camera on a tripod to take still photos of the TV, with the 11-footer, the bridge, and props as my primary targets. Then I had to drop the film off at the store, wait two weeks for it to be developed, and make a second trip to pick up the prints and negatives. It was a different century.

- There was a much smaller population of fans, and no Internet to connect us. I had no sense of "community" at all until Starlog magazine came along in 1976.

- With only 79 episodes and TAS to worry about, I had (seemingly) absolute mastery of the ST universe. It was a kind of trivia expertise that's impossible now that there are 800 hours of programming and uncounted novels out there.

- You could own "everything there is" back then, every book at least, because there was so little to buy. I took pride in my complete ST collection and haunted a bookstore within bicycle distance of our house to catch the new titles.

It must have been 1981, well into the TMP era at Pocket Books, before I gave up on the idea of owning every book. The novels started proliferating and some weren't very good. I distinctly recall the moment-- I was on a city bus going home from my summer job-- when I gave up on the idea of being a Star Trek completist (although the word completist wasn't in circulation yet; like "TOS" it was a thing of the future). Post-TMP publishing had both expanded the show into a franchise too big to own, and changed the whole esthetic into something I barely recognized (pastel footed-pajama uniforms, Sulu as the lead in some books, etc.).

It was a turning point I'll never forget. Star Trek was something I would no longer have complete mastery of. And this was before TWOK even came along, let alone TNG.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    C57D and Trekfan12 like this.
  18. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Depends. You have to remember that Star Trek ran endlessly in syndication, back when there were only four or five TV channels, tops, so it wasn't just a cult thing. It was on every weekday after school, along with Gilligan's Island, Wild Wild West, F Troop, etc. You didn't have to be part of a special club to watch Star Trek reruns or know who Mister Spock was.

I honestly didn't discover "organized" SF fandom--with clubs and conventions and all that--until I went to college in the eighties. Before that, I just watched STAR TREK on tv like everyone else.

19. T'Bonz

I was lucky; some of my friends in Jr. High also liked Trek. I didn't connect with fandom until the early 80s when I went to my first convention in Miami. Before that, it was books (some rather awful) and Starlog, which I devoured.

Greg Cox likes this.
  20. Poltargyst

I recorded The Doomsday Machine like that.