BLSSDWLF's TOS Enterprise WIP

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by blssdwlf, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That guy in the window has caused problems before, because it looks odd and seems really out of place. Who knows - perhaps he's a big headed alien, scrabbling around on his knees looking for a contact lense?

Using the docking port as an aid to scaling is a good approach - it's one thing we saw really clearly (interior wise) after all, when Scotty and Kirk boarded the inspection pod. Logically, the docking port would have to be at least that high.

[​IMG]

It's surprising how much evidence there is for this larger design, I always assumed that the prop builders for TMP worked from the officially published scales, set up from day one! Maybe things didn't look quite right (asthetically) at that scale?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  2. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  3. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Probert, Probert, PROBERT!"

Expect an answer in the coming days. This spell (almost) always works.

4. blssdwlf

Thanks USS Mariner :)

Some more speculative comparison shots and a side view of the cargo bay/shuttle area. I used the orthographic shot of the Director's Cut Enterprise from Doug Drexler's site for scaling and lining up purposes.

A side effect of the flight deck being lower, I had to push down the hangar deck below it as well to maintain the same height (12') but that also meant that the hangar deck level is lower when it meets up with the cargo bay sliding door lock section. Argh!

[​IMG]

5. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

That just looks so wrong...

6. blssdwlf

If the cargo bay would just fit in a 305m hull ;)

Added a few more items like the shuttle elevators, the floating platform that supports the elevators and checked if shuttles could fit in the hangar deck.

[​IMG]

7. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One of my biggest objections to scaling up the TOS Enterprise was that the dimensions for the TMP ship were more or less fixed and accurate. So much for that.

How does a 355m ship fit the bridge?

8. blssdwlf

@Tallguy - I haven't had a chance to try the bridges of the TMP Enterprise out yet but will take a look and see how they fit. Interestingly, I haven't found any reason to upscale the TOS Enterprise. 289m for the TOS Enterprise seems to fit pretty much everything except for the long corridor to the engine room in "The Ultimate Computer" (won't fit in the engineering hull) but I don't have a problem rationalizing they went to the impulse engine room in the primary hull :D

9. blssdwlf

Took a shot at modeling out a portion of the refit-E's vertical rooms of the vertical shaft. This is a close match @ 30mm. Not surprisingly, it seems too tall for the 305m refit-E and barely fits a scaled up 355m one. In anycase, seems bizarre for something that tall to be only held at three points, the top and bottom and a lead to the horizontal shaft...

[​IMG]

10. Tallguy

Perhaps by the 23rd century it won't seen bizarre at all.

11. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Having the refit essentially built over the top of the TOS Enterprise, with the decks being reworked later on from within could allow a double hull design if done differently.

Wasn't there some line in a novel somewhere about crewmen who wanted privacy getting between hulls or something? Of course, the refit has no thermocoat--depending on who you talk to.

12. Tallguy

It sounds like you're combining Uhura climbing around between hulls in Blish's adaptaion of The Naked Time and Roddenberry's description of the privacy chambers (forget what they were called) from the novel of TMP which were described as being bits of unintentionally left over space.

13. blssdwlf

@Tallguy - Yeah, "bizarre" was too strong a word. More "interesting" :) That gives the three points what I assume to be the bottom (reactor), top (???) and horizontal shart (warp nacelles). One or more of those points is probably where the energizers and such tap in.

@publiusr - It looks weird, but I'm starting to get use to the idea of a slightly larger refit-E.

14. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But it feeeels so goood. :techman:

I wonder if the 355m ship would actually hold the rec deck in it's proper location?

15. Probert

Probert Starfleet Design Red Shirt

A VERY interesting visit to reality-ville. When under the constraints of a production that had already scheduled it's opening date before the film was finished, it was harder to check relative scales & shapes than I would have liked. But I must say that my Officer's Lounge and saucer-rim Rec Deck would have been a better fit than Michelson's. Ya win some and lose some... hoping the results are better than average.

The Enterprise (refit) I put together was indeed called out at 1,000 feet even (305m) but, as I've stated often, once a design leaves my desk, there is very little I can do to insure it makes it to camera as designed. As for the deck-level discrepancy between the Engineering docking port and Landing Bay level,... there is a ramp leading down from one to the other within that transition corridor.

Keep up the good work,
    Andrew-

16. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm just wondering when this thread shifted from the TOS ship to the TMP one...

17. blssdwlf

@CRA - It's going to be a blending of a sorts as I'm looking at the refit-Enterprise's internals for ideas on how the TOS Enterprise internals would look (but aren't seen on screen).

18. blssdwlf

Thank you Andrew for your insight :D ! I've been going over the artwork on your site and that is an amazing amount of detail and thought that went into the ship. Wow :) :) I too wish they went with your Officer's Lounge and Rec Deck.

I'll add the ramp and give it a go with it :)

Cheers,
    Peter

19. blssdwlf

Added the ramp and was able to lower the other decks down to the flight deck :) The drop would be less on the 305m version (this is the 355m version).

[​IMG]

20. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's a very steep ramp! Perhaps stairs would be better (at least on a 355m ship)