TOS "Clipper Ship"

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Klaus, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

Well ring-shaped is part of the plan lol...

2. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

What about if the ring was bent? V-shaped from the side, going "back" from the saucer.

3. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What if the part of the ring that runs from the nacelles to the saucer wasn't there and instead you had forward-swept, Kelvin-esque pylons up to the deflector pods?
    Sort of a constellation with curves...

4. Klaus

Those are all excellent suggestions, but the actual ring is such a part of it that I don't really want to cut it up. Part of my motivation for the style was heretical -- thinking that while beautiful, the classic Connie nacelle struts just don't look very practical. I know the structural integrity fields do the support work, but it seems to me you'd want a stronger connection for emergency situations. What I'm trying to do will be less fluid but perhaps more practical-looking, I hope.

I'm going to try a double-sweptback ring as a compromise, let's see what it looks like.

5. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

Mwah, I like the second version of the ring, don't change it too much else nothing will be left of your original concept.

6. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

That error in the mesh interests me more than anything. It gives the appearance of warped planes in a ship that took too much heat. That might actually be useful...

7. Klaus

Well here's a swept-back try...

[​IMG]

8. YARN

YARN Fleet Captain

That's more like it. Nacelles are further aft and the angled ring gives it a sense of direction.

Do you have more angles on this one?

Also, I think the beefier ring design is a good idea.

Moreover, if this had been on the screen during TOS, I think it could have fit the overall aesthetic of Trek at that time.

9. YARN

YARN Fleet Captain

Hmmm, this one might be the best one of the bunch...

10. reanimatedfish

reanimatedfish Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Alright, that's looking very nice, the only thing I have to add, a this point, is that you may want to flip the lower nacelles vertically to add some vertical symmetry. Otherwise this is extremely promising.

11. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looks very good IMHO :) :techman:

12. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Except for the fact that the rings would have been thin and delicate, like the pylons and neck on the Enterprise.

13. MadMan1701A

MadMan1701A Commodore Premium Member

Hmm, neat idea. :)

I think I like the earlier version, though. the newer ring seems to have TOO much detail, kind of out of place for TOS, you know?

Still awesome, though. :)

14. Klaus

ty! I think I'm going to go for something in-between for the next version, not as plain as the initial one but not as detailed as the 2nd... I want it stronger but perhaps not that strong.

15. Klaus

How about this? Definitely more TOS-like...

[​IMG]

16. KNH

KNH Commander Red Shirt

The only issue I now see is the same thing that sparked a lot of discussion when we saw the Oberth class - are those pods top and bottom inhabited/manned, and if yes, how do you get there?

On first glance, yes, the ring structure seems thick enough to house a turbolift or three (judging from the relative size of the lift housing behind the bridge), but I can't help getting the image that you enter the lift standing from the saucer but end up in lying position upon arriving in those pods. Which, mind you, is a very entertaining image :lol:

17. Ar-Pharazon

^ Not too different than the Gateway Arch really, and that's 20th century tech.

If the ring is thick enough, a turbolift could keep it's orientation somehow.

18. Klaus

I had thought of that... it made me think of the rotating elevator cars in the Gateway Arch in St. Louis lol. I think there's room if you wanted them manned...

19. Ar-Pharazon

If you think about it, when a turbolift is going sideways, it's in an odd shaped tube, so diagonal or arched shouldn't be a problem.

20. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^Sure you thought that through? It's the transition that's the problem. Going through an arc the turbolift either has to follow the curve of the tube and end up on it's side or it has to be a shape that is neutral to the shape of the shaft as it changes in cross-section. Like a sphere.