Tokyo Olympics 2020 - Taking place in 2021

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Kilana2, Jul 9, 2021.

1. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

From what I read, Simone Biles' pulling out wasn't strictly a matter of anxiety or mental health. It was because her mental health was impacting her physical ability to do the incredibly dangerous things she had to do.

She didn't think "I'm feeling too much pressure to emotionally handle being in the spotlight". She thought "My body isn't moving exactly the way I expect it to and there's a small chance I'll break my neck."

2. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Yup, pretty much.

Unfortunately, that kind of nuance is lost on her critics.

Jack Wolfe likes this.
  3. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Iā€™m been getting Japanese tutoring from a Japanese woman living in Australia. She has a really negative opinion of the Olympics even happening.

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  4. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

The Delta variant continues to rear its ugly head.

5. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

Swimmer Michael Andrew declines Covid-vaccine and masks...... WTF :eek:

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like horses, so I decided to watch the dressage, but it's way to technical for me. I don't really know what they're supposed to be doing or how it's supposed looking, so I ended up giving up after a couple riders. I do like the cross country and show jumping.
    I'm surprised the indoor volleyball is still on group play, it seems like most of the other sports are on at least at the semi finals by now.

XCV330 likes this.
  7. XCV330

XCV330 ā˜… Premium Member

I haven't watched much till now, been to busy, but got Peacock for a month to view it. Watched synchronized diving, that is always amazing how two people can match these amazing amazing efforts in the grip of gravity so well.

Kilana2 likes this.
  8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it is pretty impressive.

I felt so sorry for the poor Canadian diver who slipped sideways of the diving board and ended in kind of a back flop into the water.

9. Gryffindorian

These athletes deal with so much pressure and set very high expectations on themselves. This is further demonstrated by Schweitzel, part of the U.S. women's team competing in the 4 x 100 relay medley tonight. Beaten by hundredths of a second by the Australian team, Team USA came in second place. A silver medal isn't bad for anyone competing in the Olympics, but Schweitzel was completely devastated. It's like anything less than a gold medal is not good enough. I suppose some of that is ego.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
  10. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

But Bobby Finke outraced World Champion Wellbrock in the 1500 freestyle to get the gold medal. Witch Romanchuk getting silver and Wellbrock bronze. Wellbrock did a 14.36 this year - wich would have earned him gold. But today he couldn't swim it. And Romanchuk and Finke had the greater speed on the last 50 meters.

On the other hand: 13 years of `hurt' = no German swimming medals - have come to an end. Two bronze medals after two Olympics in a row without medal is good. But only long distances. Germany had great relay teams - but this was more than 15 years ago. Corona did its best to keep people from swimming at all.....

11. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

Really good day for Australia, which naturally I'm pretty happy about. Particularly stoked for our swimmers, especially Cate Campbell after her unreal anchor leg for the medley relay team. She copped a lot of absolute crap post-Rio from our media and armchair experts after her so-called "failure" in the 100m free final, so to come back from that and have success here is just brilliant. Great stuff and if that's her last competitive swim it was a damned good one.

Things will probably tail off for Australia from now on but it's been a good games for us so far. :mallory:

PlainSimpleJoel likes this.
  12. DarrenTR1970

DarrenTR1970 Commodore Commodore

I've been watching these games intermittently over the past week and if it's one thing I've noticed is that we've been in a pandemic for almost two years now and people still aren't wearing their masks correctly. It should go above the nose.

Gryffindorian likes this.
  13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Watching the cross country eventing, and there was a pretty nasty wipeout from a Thai rider. He go thrown and then kicked at least three or four times as his horse went over him. My mom said it looked like was unconscious as they cut away.

14. XCV330

XCV330 ā˜… Premium Member

After trying to use Peacock now for two weeks, I don't think I'll say negative things about Paramount Plus anymore.

Peacock works on Roku, but not on Linux. And when it works, it doesn't have everything. Much is on the other website, which you can't use unless you have cable. So why pay for peacock? They didn't even show the opening ceremonies, though they dumped it on days later in a 4 hour blob that crashes if you try to fast forward. Enjoyed two old British commentators handling the skateboarding events. I felt they'd been pulled over from equestrian. I've never heard someone say "Goofy foot" with such solemnity and disinterest. NBC hired Tony Hawk and flew him there and didn't let him handle the mic?

Mostly they throw some of the more obscure sports on Peacock and occasionally remind you they have Office reruns. The coverage might be better on nbcolympics.com. The two hours I was granted to use it seemed OK, apart from constant lagging, despite having gigabit fiber, here.

I'm about done with this Olympics.

15. Gryffindorian

Can't believe the swimming competitions have ended. Congratulations to all the medalists this year. Gymnastics has a few more events to go, including Simone Biles on the balance beam.

Kilana2 likes this.
  16. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I decided to watch the sports climbing instead of other sports tonight. Quite interesting. Worth checking out.

17. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Peacock's Olympics coverage has been a disaster. You go and try to find more obscure events and instead of full replays you only find massively edited highlights, the titles of which spoil the outcome. The only place to find full replays of any event (and without spoilers) is NBCOlympics.com which, as XCV330 mentioned, only works if you can sign in through a cable provider. (I'm fortunate enough to have one and am currently watching the USA vs. Japan baseball knockout round.) Everything that's on the website should have been on Peacock.

18. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

The crappy coverage aside, this is one of my biggest pet peeves. If I had a cable provider, why am I trying to watch content online? Drives me fucking insane.

Gryffindorian and Skywalker like this.
  19. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

The Olympics is the only time I watch events I have no interest in...skateboarding, speed climbing, equestrian events.
    However I wish the BBC would stop changing channels!

Another thing, the Olympics exposes the class (and racial) divisions of society but I guess its a matter of exposure as well as money to be part of equestrian, fencing and sailing. I know keeping a horse is very expensive and most ethnic minorities do not live in 'horsey' areas. However look at the changes with golf, tennis and gymnastics over the decades!

20. Coops

Coops Captain Captain

Question - What month is Christmas in?
    AnswerI[​IMG]#DadJoke