Toho is making their own Godzilla movies again!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Kai "the spy", Dec 8, 2014.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

That would be awesome. I wonder if he would be just another Kaiju or if he would get some kind of unique origin?

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I doubt that anyone involved would settle for Godzilla being just another kaiju. They'd probably have to move legal and contractual mountains to make this happen, so if it happened, it would be treated as something special in-story as well as out.

3. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Legendary does seem to have the American movies to Godzilla so I don't think it's a rights issue. But I do think it'll be Del Toro's own version and that alone would be cool to see. Of course if they found a way to put Gamera in the movie it'd only make the movie that more incredible.

4. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i've been wanting to see a Godzilla VS Gamera film since i was a kid.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've just watched the first two movies in the 1990s Gamera trilogy for the first time in the last month or two, and I would love to see a crossover with Godzilla.

6. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

7. Christopher

Well, at this point there have been four different movies named simply Godzilla (alternately transliterated as Gojira) -- the '54 original, the '84 revival (generally called The Return of Godzilla in English), and the two American films. And there have been three films whose Japanese title is Gojira tai Mechagojira (designated in English as Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla, Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II, and Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla). So who knows? They could just call this one Gojira again.

8. Kai "the spy"

So soon after the Legendary movie, I'd doubt that.

9. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, the scene where they had the Japanese Godzilla take out the U.S. Godzilla (IE the giant lizard from the 1998 U.S. version with Matthew Broderick) was hilarious (IMO). Honestly though, except for the first two black and white Godzilla films (when he was initially named Gojira); the film series in general has never taken itself very seriously. Still, I hope this new series of japanese Godzilla films (and it will be a series of films, like the other Japanese Godzilla revivals) will make their way into the Western market in some form.:)

10. Christopher

First off, "Gojira" and "Godzilla" are just different transliterations of the same Japanese syllables. In the '50s, the preferred romanization scheme rendered them as go-dzi-la, and a second L was added for aesthetics or clarity (and probably because the name was partially derived from "gorilla"). In the more modern romanization scheme, those same three syllables are rendered as go-ji-ra. But they're both pronounced exactly the same in Japanese, about halfway between the two spellings with the syllables stressed about equally. (Although when characters in the Japanese films speak English, or when signs and graphics are printed in English, they almost always use the spelling "Godzilla" and the American pronunciation of the name.)

Second, most of the movies from the past three decades have taken Godzilla seriously. The '54 original was the most serious and thought-provoking, a powerful allegory about the ethics and consequences of weapons of mass destruction; the '55 sequel, by contrast, was just a rather dull disaster movie with no deeper message. The later movies in the '60s and '70s became more aimed at children and increasingly goofy for the most part. But the 1984 reboot was very serious, an allegory on the nuclear brinksmanship of the superpowers and the frustration of other nations like Japan who were caught in the middle. The remaining films of the '80s and '90s -- the Heisei era -- were mostly fairly serious, with the exception of the abysmal Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla, which was rather a throwback to the '70s. The Millennium-era films that began in 1999 tended to be pretty serious and dark. The namesake film Godzilla 2000: Millennium had a very nihilistic ending. Two films later, the movie nicknamed GMK was a dark and biting allegory on modern Japanese culture's whitewashing of the crimes of Imperial Japan before and during WWII, with Godzilla representing the souls of the Imperial war machine's victims come back to inflict vengeance on Japan. It was also, in parallel, a satire of the way Godzilla himself had come to be seen as cuddly and harmless, and a return of the character to his most malevolent form. The whole Millennium series was pretty serious in tone except for Final Wars, which was full-on gonzo crazy and campy.

I definitely agree with this.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Me too. I'm a huge Godzilla fan, and I'd be really disappointed if we didn't get it. I'm pretty sure it'll come here in some form, even if it's just on Netflix or Amazon Prime or something that. Are there any Godzilla movies that haven't been released outside of Japan?

12. Christopher

They've all had videotape or DVD releases, but I think it's been quite a while since a Toho Godzilla movie had a wide theatrical release in the US.

13. Kai "the spy"

Well, the 70s Ultraman knock-off "Ryúsei Ningen Zone" (aka "Zone Fighter") hasn't been released outside Asia, as far as I know. It was canon (as far as one can speak of such a thing in this case) of the Showa series, and Godzilla, King Ghidora and Gigan all guest-starred on the show.

"Godzilla 2000" (with the "Millennium" dropped from the title), as far as I know.

For Germany, the last theatrical release of a Toho Godzilla was "Godzilla vs. King Ghidora".

14. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

While the 1985 New World version of the '84 movie has come out on tape, the original has yet to released here in the States.

15. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Now there's talk of a remake of King Kong VS Godzilla from Warner/Legendary and a possible massive Kong/Godizilla/Pacific Rim crossover movie. Time will tell but it seems like we'll be getting more Godzilla movies than Star Wars movies inthe next few years.

16. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Toho wanted to do Godzilla VS King Kong back in the 90s but Turner wanted too much money to use Kong.

17. Christopher

More recent than I thought.

18. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Saw Godzilla 2K in the theater. I was thrilled I found a girl who was actually geeky enough to be excited about seeing Godzilla but turned out didn't care too much for me. Don't know if that's more of a :lol: or a :(.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't think it's going to be a remake of King Kong vs Godzilla, just a new Kong/Godzilla crossover. Nothing I saw called it a remake.

20. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

I'd say we're getting both.