To remember Rene Auberjonois - Odo's best moments in literature

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by DS9forever, Dec 9, 2019.

1. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

Very sad to hear that Rene Auberjonois has passed. I thought literature fans would like to share their favourite Odo moments in literature or even about Auberjonois himself.

I remember Auberjonois narrated a lot of audio books, I particularly remember the Eugenics Wars audiobook being expertly narrated.

2. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

Fallen Heroes. Great Odo vs Quark scenes....

The Worlds of DS9 - Dominion

Turtletrekker and DS9forever like this.
  3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Was there ever an audiobook version of I, The Constable?

I would have loved to hear Rene narrate that, in the classic 40's film noir style...

T'Ressa Dax and DS9forever like this.
  4. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Three:

"Fallen Heroes" by Dafydd ab Hugh, read by Rene Auberjonois, 1994, 120 min.

"Warped" by K.W. Jeter, read by Rene Auberjonois, 1995, 120 min. Abridged by George Truett.

"The Eugenics Wars: The Rise and Fall of Khan Noonien Singh, Volume 2" by Greg Cox, read by Rene Auberjonois, 2002, 180 min. Abridged by George Truett. (Anthony Stewart Head did Volume 1.)

Sadly, no.

DS9forever, Greg Cox and Kilana2 like this.
  5. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

I think my Favorite Odo book is “The Heart of the Warrior” (aka “The Trojan Starship”).

6. marlboro

marlboro Guest

Damn. This sucks. My dad and I are currently watching the entire series. It's the first time he's ever watched it. He emailed me today with the bad news.

Fallen Heroes has a lot of good Odo and Quark scenes.

"Foundlings" by Jeffrey Lang from Prophecy and Change is good, too.

DS9forever and Kilana2 like this.
  7. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There are some great Odo moments in Rules of Accusation.

8. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

I remember thinking The Siege had a good take on Odo; at the time I read it, I wrote, "my favorite bit about Odo actually comes from O'Brien's perspective, where he reflects that Odo has a similar naïveté about human(oid) nature to Data, but where Data is curious about what he doesn't understand, Odo is just offended." Given how early in the process Siege was written, I think it shows how quickly and well Auberjonois established the character.

In addition to the Odo/Quark scenes in Fallen Heroes (ab Hugh paired them off long before the show finally did), the climax where he journeys into the still-hot fusion core is gripping.

Odo flying through the Bajoran wormhole himself, with the Dax symbiont ensconced inside him, in Time's Enemy was badass.

9. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

I remember reading that Peter David once had Auberjonois autograph a plush toy of the crab from the Disney Little Mermaid film. Auberjonois voiced the French chef who really liked serving fish.

Danja likes this.
  10. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Not really, because Peter only had scripts to go on. He might have known that Auberjonois was cast, but hadn't seen any of his performance when he wrote The Siege.

11. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh yeah, good point.

12. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

According to “Voyages Of Imagination”, Peter David was commissioned during the second week of January 1993 (10-16) to write the novel, with a May release date already. And while VOI says that he was working from the series Bible and first five scripts, in the 2 weeks he wrote the novel, he may’ve seen “Emissary” or bits of it as “Emissary”’s release date was January 3, 1993. So David’s 2 weeks would’ve been (I don’t think he would’ve gotten it the order on a Sunday) from January 11 to 24. January 93 ended on a Sunday, so he could’ve finished, at the latest, on January 31, depending when he got his approval between the 11 & the 15.

DS9forever and TheAlmanac like this.
  13. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Odo's entrance in Unity was classic.

Kilana2 likes this.