TNG new line of Reaction figures

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by SAndrews10, Apr 13, 2021.

1. SAndrews10

SAndrews10 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Has anyone seen the new line of toys coming out? Odd choices for the first 7 action figures. They characters figures look bloated and scary and some of the cover art aren’t even real pictures. Hit up Star Trek.com to check out

2. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

The cover art for these appears to be illustrations made to resemble paintings. None of them are actual photos.

Here's the link for those who want to see: https://www.startrek.com/gallery/next-generation-reaction-figures-beam-onto-the-enterprise

And it's a "feature" of the whole ReAction brand that the figures look kind of fake. They're supposed to be reminiscent of action figures from the late '70s or early '80s, with simpler sculpts and less articulation. Check out the ones they did for Back to the Future, Alien, Rocky, RoboCop, etc.

Kor

3. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

Hmmm...

Worf looks like Cmdr Kruge from TSFS, only severely underweight... oh well, that makes the ST3TSFS line already partially complete...

Data looks like Howdy Doody's grumpy cousin...

Picard has zygotes looking at his figure in awe...

Guinan isn't too bad... well, the hat's too small but if that's the only thing I could find... apart from how easily her action figure can do sit-ups or other bendy poses... and, of course, the gloves and footwear are the envy of James Bond during any given spy mission, and that's not said in a bad way because - as with using a giant gun for defense - she would have been wonderful if in an espionage-themed episode...

Not sure which one is best-articulated of the remaining figures: The Borg, aka "looks like my ex so they really got the disturbing horror motif done real well, now if only he had a collectible booze bottle to complement it but it's running through all those refrigerator pipes so it's still passable"...

...or Wesley - aka "We got this one the best but he's really Simon Tarsis" and is so forgettable that nobody spells his name right either.

Now comes the packaging... the less said about poor ol' Worf is that much the better... Wesley too. Picard and Guinan got the best treatment with the packaging artwork.

publiusr likes this.
  4. SAndrews10

SAndrews10 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thank you Kor for the link. I thought I had pasted it at the end of my post

5. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

People apparently buy FunkoPop freak monsters like crazy, so a lot of them don't care about exaggerated looks XD

They remind me of the early TNG Galoob figures

6. Richard S. Ta

Richard S. Ta Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Some cynicism in here. I think it's clear they are modelled after 'classic' 80s action figures. They look exactly what they are supposed to look like. I think they are rather sweet.

The only fault is the borg doesn't look like the one on the packaging. It looks quite a lot like Hugh in fact...

7. Crewman6

Crewman6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Was just coming here to discuss this line.

You have to approach this in the spirit in which they were intended - as deliberately "simple"-looking figures to deliberately evoke the look of classic 70s-80s action figures.

So, yes, for better or for worse, the sculpting quality isn't particularly high.

That said, Super7's recent waves have been a massive improvement over when this line originally launched.

They just did a new Back to the Future wave which is head and shoulders better than their initial release.

The TOS wave is arguably the worst-looking batch in the entire Reaction line. Thankfully, the TNG figures are of the newer, superior variety (they were going to do TNG figures a while ago, but they were cancelled. Whew.)

Do I wish these were super-articulated with amazing sculpts like the Star Wars Vintage Collection? Of course.

But I'll take what I can get, especially since we haven't had TNG figures at this scale since the all-too-brief Galoob line from over 30 years ago.

BTW, a second wave has been promised for fall, which will undoubtedly include Riker and hopefully figures like, Crusher, Troi and Q.

(Frankly, the best looking figure in the bunch here is Guinan and I'm delighted they made her.)

McCoy's Disco Collar likes this.
  8. Crewman6

The card art is ATROCIOUS.

It's clearly a Season 1 pic of Picard with a S3 uniform BADLY shopped onto him. (and the image is mirrored!)

Worf's pic is from the later seasons (maybe even DS9) despite him sporting a Season 3-4 haircut. The Borg is clearly a Voyager Borg, not a TNG borg.

And even looking beyond those "mistakes", they just look really, really ugly and awful. Good thing I'm an opener!

jackoverfull likes this.
  9. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wh- why are these retro-action figures "Age 14+"? Because of the choking hazard? Are thirteen-year-olds choking on toys these days?

I went to their site, and it's not just TNG, but even their Peanuts characters and classic comic Archie line all have 14+ warnings. No FAQ, no explanation. They just really don't want kids playing with their "toys" (AKA Adult Collectable. Not a toy.)

10. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Probably means they don't have to meet various guidelines required to classify them as child-safe.

I think these are quite cute, and it's great to see Star Trek toys of any kind, but they do seem very expensive for what they are.

11. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

As someone mentioned above, they are very reminiscent of the early Galoob TNG figures (which I really liked; I had less love for the Playmates figs). The only issue I see is that several characters have heads that look too large for their bodies (Data in particular.)

12. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

Nailed it!

Ryan Thomas Riddle likes this.
  13. JoseNoodles

JoseNoodles Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Data looks freaky, his eyes don't seem to have pupils. I like how they seem to be aping the Kenner logo on the packaging, and Enterprise-D image reminds of the Playmates packaging. I think I would prefer re-releases of the Playmates toys, however.

14. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Looks great and better than a lot of the Reaction figures in the past. Interesting.

15. Crewman6

These are "Retro-style" figures that are made intentionally "bad" to evoke the look of old school figures from 70s-80s.

Yeah. Despite the "Retro-look", the most recent Reaction figures look much better than the original waves did back when the line was a partnership between two different toy companies, Funko and Super7. Now that it's just Super7, the figures have improved in quality.

Therin of Andor and Indysolo like this.
  16. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

Nah, just having fun. Sardonic is worst-case scenario, and even then.

Which often sell for cheap out-of-package, and generally at decent prices despite being new-in-package at any number of locations, suggesting rarity isn't a factor. This time, a little cynicism is arguably not misplaced. Why go out of the way to make something "retro"? The original units look just fine. Better, in some ways. IMHO, but sculpture is still a form of art and some will find something of greater interest with the "retro" releases so I'm not going to argue too much. Of course, all one needs is software to take a 2D image and make a 3D composite to be printed on a 3D printer with a modeler and - voila - a computer can make a very precise copy of their own four-and-a-half incher. Of course, having a five-and-a-half is more fun... But there are reasons why the original, authentic releases still have value, or even accrued it over decades while being sealed in a package. ($10/new-in-box figure isn't that much more compared to MSRP from 30 years ago... or even less. Depends on the price in 1992, but if it cost $5.99 back then, then with inflation it would cost $11.41 today unless numerous other factors are involved (especially popularity)...) Or perhaps not as much given relative quantity, Part of the original experience...

And, yes, show me some photos of the original releases and I'll happily make equally silly observations of those as well. They're just action figures, not idols.

17. Crewman6

Here's a comparison pic that shows how Reaction figures have improved over the past few years. The figure on the left is from the Funko era, the figure on the right was just released recently. The TOS line sadly comes from the crappier era, while the TNG line will have the improved-but-still-not-great aesthetics.

[​IMG]

Trek Survivor likes this.
  18. ThankQ

ThankQ Fleet Admiral Admiral

Worf looks like the Christopher Lloyd klingon.

19. Crewman6

[​IMG]

"My name is Guinan. I tend bar, and I listen."

20. Crewman6