Spoilers TNG: Before Dishonor by Peter David Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Defcon, Aug 31, 2014.

?

Rate Before Dishonor

1. Outstanding

7 vote(s)
    9.7%
  2. Above Average

14 vote(s)
    19.4%
  3. Average

13 vote(s)
    18.1%
  4. Below Average

16 vote(s)
    22.2%
  5. Poor

22 vote(s)
    30.6%
  1. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

It does go into more detail of why she rebelled in Greater than the Sum. I just don’t think that because she served with Picard before doesn’t necessarily mean devoted loyalty to him.

2. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

Just started reading Before dishonour yesterday, so far so hilarious, it reminds me of a Carry On movie or the Benny Hill version of a Star Trek show minus the scantily clad ladies (my fellow Brits will understand). Its already canon that Starfleet is run by idiots, too many human admirals who are absolutely, down right stupid. I liked Jellico in the TNG show but in this book he comes across as a patronising, racist, pompous ass in regards to Seven. Maybe he redeems himself later on. The new characters, well what can I say they are only following orders but after what happened in Resistance where Picard turned to be correct you would think they learned their lesson. T'Lana is so dogmatic, how the hell can she counsel anyone, Leybenzon too trigger happy and down right scary (being willing to torture a fellow officer????). and Kadahata, well I did not see that coming from her. Picard should have busted them down to Cadet status.
    I guess when it comes to the Borg, humans act stupidly, here's looking at you oh so righteous Admiral Janeway.

P.S I am on chapter 37, I believe Mr Peter David was as high as a kite, drunk or in a taking the piss mood, when wrote this book, if so I salute him!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
  3. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Admiral Rex likes this.
  4. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I listened to your Podcast and I agree with you Kertrats the book Before Dishonor that it was a confusing messy story. I didn't like how Picard was written so goofy and offbeat and totally off the wall in this novel. I didn't care for this book at all when I read it years ago.Like you said I can see why Peter David didn't enjoy writing this book and the editors kept asking him change the story with Janeway and the borg story line constantly.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    Admiral Rex and Kertrats47 like this.
  5. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Of all the Post Nemesis novels there are, (other than Destiny,) I have reread this the most. Three times in the 12 years since it got published. It's a fun romp and an easy read.

Smiley and Admiral Rex like this.
  6. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've also just posted my review of Before Dishonor. If you listened to the Literary Treks episode from a few days ago, you already know how I feel about this novel. Not... the greatest.

Reanok and Admiral Rex like this.
  7. 100Pic

100Pic Lieutenant Red Shirt

Jarvisimo likes this.