TLJ Actor Kelly Marie Tran (Rose Tico) Deletes Instagram After Abuse

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Kane_Steel, Jun 5, 2018.

1. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The criticism of the character or her performance is completely separate from treating the performer as a person, as you noted. But, you're not alone in complaints about Rose as a character. I will be curious to see how it all unfolds, but I like the character. Everyone has their preferences.

Just be nice to them ;)

Campe and Turtletrekker like this.
  2. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Honestly, of the Poe, Finn and Rose trio, Rose was the only one to show even a little common sense. Not much, but some.;)

3. fireproof78

We all handle stress differently ;)

4. Nveid Jo'rek

Nveid Jo'rek Lieutenant Red Shirt

You are right, the criticism of her character or her performance is completely separate from treating the performer as a person. She's just another flawed human, just like me and just like you. As a human whose feet are resting in a country where you're supposed to be given inalienable rights, she also has a right to live her life without fear of attacks and free from harm. I need to stop myself before I tangentize into a political debate about my own country (U.S.A.); I've just been so weary of hearing about the consequences of living in the United States as a minority (I'm Mexican-American btw) for the past 4 years.

In all fairness, I've only watched The Last Jedi just once. Despite the fact that I've bought the DVD, I've yet to rip the disc and save the movie as an .avi file to watch the movie a few more times to get a better grasp of Rose's character. I've only been judging her by 1st impression, and it's not fair to her character that I see her as such.

fireproof78 likes this.
  5. Alejandro

Alejandro Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Sick people.
    And I like her character by the way.

6. c0rnedfr0g

c0rnedfr0g Commodore Commodore

Did she actually come out and say this is why she left Twitter??

7. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes

8. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I liked Kelly's performance overall but they gave her two of the worst lines ive ever seen.

9. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Im not white or male but the character I relate to most in TLJ is Poe Dameron not Rey, not Holdo, not Rose, not even Finn

And I relate to Dameron because he's the only one with common sense.

People relate to GOOD CHARACTERS, not characters who may be played by actors who are "like them" thats a common misconception.

10. Turtletrekker

:lol::guffaw::rommie:

Poe Dameron, while a sensible and capable enough fellow in the first movie, was an insubordinate idiot in The Last Jedi whose stupidity got the entire Resistance killed.

USS Firefly likes this.
  11. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

That wasn’t what was happening. Leia was likely grooming Poe to be in the leadership in the Resistance, if you notice in the movie that most of the current are fairly older and Poe is clearly the one she’s most invested in. But Poe needs to realize the difference between winning a battle and winning the war. Yes, taking down that ship was an achievement, but they lost all their bombers. Now they’ve lost one of their few resources and lives that could’ve fought in the future. Poe’s entire arc is realizing this. He isn’t exactly wrong, but he’s just thinking short term when he should be concerned with the long term survival of the Resistance. That’s why he’s the one to realize that Luke is really just a distraction to keep the First Order from wiping them out. Poe isn’t suddenly an idiot, he’s a brass, headstrong pilot who becomes a leader.

12. Turtletrekker

If Poe had just obeyed orders, then Finn and Rose never would have met DJ and then there could have been no way that DJ could have betrayed them to the First Order, and the plan to escape to Crait would have went unhindered.

It's not that he disobeyed orders and got his fellow resistance members killed once, it's that he didn't learn his lesson and did it again and got the rest of his fellow resistance members killed.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  13. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

They made a reasonable, if risky, plan to save the fleet. If Finn and Rose had been able to contact the splicer they were sent to find, than they might just have pulled off disabling the means the First Order was tracking their fleet, and thus jumped to hyperspace, saving not only the remains of the Resistance, but also a valuable starship asset. Poe was not invested in the "abandon ship" plan as he thought their escape craft were be too vulnerable (he was right on that count), plus if the First Order spotted them (even just visually) they was not escape from that planet had the Millennium Falcon not arrived. No one answered their distress call. Even if the First Order never noticed the Resistance escape craft (which even with a sensor mask, seems highly dubious given they were not cloaked), they would be stuck on a planet with no means of escape, and no one interested in coming for them (save again for Rey and Chewbacca).

jaime likes this.
  14. fireproof78

In the ten minutes or so that they had in sending the distress call? O_o

15. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought they had been sending it since the whole time they were pootling along.

16. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Resistance couldn't wait around very long, what with the First Order landing walkers, coming into the mine after them, and shit.

fireproof78 likes this.
  17. fireproof78

I don't believe so but I might be wrong and need to rewatch it. I thought part of the landing on Crait was to send a message to their allies to rally them.

18. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

It was only a couple of minutes, a half hour tops, apparently space is incredibly small in the Star Wars universe

19. fireproof78

Yes, it is.

20. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

If a fast ship can be across the Galaxy already in maybe an hour, space isn't all that big to this civilization. Meaning basically anyone who wants to , can be there in half and hour from any nearby sector, and even up to halfway across the galaxy. The slowest point for them will be getting and preparing their ships to take off, and getting into space enough to jump to hyperspace.