Thread for people that have actually seen Clone wars

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by biotech, Aug 15, 2008.

1. biotech

biotech Vice Admiral Admiral

You just said you read the book, not saw the film.

Now I dont think its nitpicking to say, you didnt see the film.

2. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, but I also didn't slag off the film, just the book. I don't think it's sufficiently different to warrant its own thread, and I thought I'd made it clear that I was talking about the book rather than the film proper.

3. kalysto

kalysto Captain Captain

I wrote my long-winded thoughts in one of the other threads, but suffice to say, I went in with very low expectations and came out pleasantly surprised.

The parts so many people seem to have gone berserk over (Ziro, Ahsoka, Baby Hutt etc) were not as bad as made out. I really loved Anakin throughout this (only he repeated 'Snips' way too many times) and Captain Rex. The animation wasn't really my style, but perhaps it will look better on the small screen which it was made for.

4. Captain Euphoria

Captain Euphoria Commander Red Shirt

I guess to reiterate, I thought it was fun and a fun experience at the movies with my son. I honestly have very few complaints but maybe I'm just TOO forgiving!

5. kalysto

kalysto Captain Captain

^ I can totally understand this. I took my 7 year old son to see it and he laughed at the stupid droids, so who am I to complain they sucked? We both found stuff to amuse us, and that's all that counts, imo. :)

6. biotech

biotech Vice Admiral Admiral

The highlight of the film to me, is the one where Anakin realises he cant save his men and carry out his primary mission.

His reaction to that, and Rex's reaction when he heard lifted that section of the film into a more mature area than the rest.

7. Guartho

Guartho Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hey man! Don't spoil it! JEEZ!?

;)

8. moon

moon Ensign Newbie

Saw it over the weekend and enjoyed it very much. :techman:

I thought the first battle sequence was slow, jarring to watch actually, but once you get past that it was funny and enjoyable.

9. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Was that me? I was just commenting on what I saw as a grossly inaccurate comment on the animation, for which enough promotional material exists to be able to comment on. That I wound up making a negative comment about the film as a whole during the conversation was... inadvertant. Still, sorry.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

10. ElScoob

ElScoob Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I enjoyed it, on the whole. I didn't go in with high expectations; I sort of reminded myself, 'This isn't a real Star Wars film. It's a few episodes of a TV series stitched together.' On that level, I found it amusing and a decent way to while away an hour and a half or so.

I didn't hate Ahsoka as much as I expected to (though the term 'Skyguy' was a little irritating, as was 'Snips' in return).

The concept of Anakin taking on a Padawan learner was interesting and was handled fairly well. After some initial Skywalker whining, he took to it in a surprisingly mature fashion. Of course, we have to expect that this relationship will end badly; Ahsoka may or may not be doomed outright, but clearly by the time the events of RotS come around she'll be gone one way or another. Presumably whatever maturity and growth Anakin experiences as a mentor will be offset by his inability to let go of his apprentice when her inevitable fate comes around...

Capote the Hutt was amusing in a creepy sort of way. Didn't put me off; I thought he made for a fun bad guy.

The character voices that were recast from previous animation and video games (Anakin and Palpatine/Sidious, along with the clones--and I think Ventress and Padme as well) were pretty good--improvements on the earlier versions all around, I think. Hearing Sam Jackson and Christopher Lee was a treat, too (as was hearing Anthony Daniels, though him voicing Threepio in spin-off media is hardly a novelty at this point). I think getting Temuera Morrison for the clones would have really added to the experience, though.

So I dug it, basically. Nothing to write home about, but a fun way to waste a little time.

11. boushh

boushh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really loved Anakin also. He did a bit of whining at the beginning, which was OK because it seems to be a Skywalker trait. ;) I really liked him as the movie progressed though and I actually think the animated character is an improvement over Hayden Christensen. He has his look and his expressions, but the person who voiced him did a much better job than Hayden did, IMHO.

Yes, this was great, as was Yoda's comment about Anakin having to learn to let go of his Padawan when the time comes, or something to that effect.
    There really were a few moments where there is a great feeling foreboding.

12. suarezguy

suarezguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Rex was pretty good, but Anakin was too weakly developed, the banter between him and Ahsoka unending and bad. The battles, particularly the opening one, didn't feel very authentic.

13. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Just saw it this morning myself. Jesus there are about 50 threads on this here, I guess I'll just post in this one.
    Yeah it was basically what I was expecting having seen and enjoyed the Clone Wars animated series from a few years back. All I was really wanting was some great battle and fight scenes, and I got it ta very much.

I thought the subplot of the purple Hutt guy was fairly dull, my mind started wandering during those scenes. And it also ended pretty abruptly, like "here's your son back Jabba, the end!"
    I guess I forgot about the TV show thats gonna follow it, and was expecting Ahsoka Tano to be killed off or something and Asajj Ventress to be dealt with etc...
    Oh, and it would have been cool to see General Grievous, but I suppose he'll be in the TV show at some point.

Btw, didn't Anakin kill Ventress at the end of the fist Clone Wars DVD/series? At least that was sorta the impression when he knocked her off that ledge and she plunged a looooooooong way down. Didn't explain how she survived is all

14. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I saw it yesterday and I thought it was great. Sure, there were a couple "silly" elements I didn't care for, like the droids' inept communications with each other (they can't communicate by radio or something? they get numbers wrong?) and Truman Capote the Hutt. But overall it was jam packed with great Jedi action, which is all I was looking for. Asoka was an interesting new character, though I did cringe at "Skyguy". And the Hutt baby wasn't half as horrible as I was afraid it was going to be; it didn't fart, didn't poop, and only burped once :p

Of course, I actually LIKED the Prequels. Call me crazy. Can't wait for the TV show :D

15. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sorry to Hijack, but:

You've probably never seen Tales of the Roughnecks: Starship Troppers? That was done back in 1998, and from what I've seen of Clone Wars (only the previews and what's on Youtube); it's weekly CGI outdid what I've seen for CW. I'll take a look when they start broadcasting in on the CN before I make any final conclusions; but from what I've seen CW is hardly pushing the boiundries of weekly TV series animated CGI.

16. Ceridwen

Ceridwen Commodore Commodore

The stuff from Roughnecks is really impressive, especially given that it's ten years old.

A few points though. There's almost no texturing on the character models in Roughnecks, everything is flat and shiny with the same surface, just different colors. Motion and expression is rather stilted, as well. This shouldn't be taken as a knock against the series, though; again, it's ten years old, and light-years ahead of Reboot from just four years earlier.

They're also going for very different styles. Roughnecks is trying for a realistic bent, Clone Wars is extremely stylized. The entire project looks like a three-dimensional oil painting, something that YouTube videos and thirty-second tv spots can't really convey.

17. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I thought the CGI looked great in the movie; you could actually see the "paint-strokes" on the "wooden models". I didn't think the figures were stiff at all, and the lightsaber fights were gorgeous.

If I had one complaint it was that the Star Destroyers looked more like lego models of them than the Destroyers from the movie.

18. Barbados Slim

Barbados Slim Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I saw it opening day with my 10-year-old son and it was fun. I came for the action and was satisfied. After about 10 minutes I got used to the Gerry Anderson puppets style animation. My only complaint was Asohka talked like annoying teen from a 2008 Disney Channel show. She was basically a 40 year old's idea of what teens-with-attitude should sound like. Would've been more interesting if she were a badass and cool instead of snarky because that got annoying.

That said, my DVR will make room for the series in October.

19. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

I saw it a few days ago. To be honest, I kinda thought it dragged. I wouldn't say there was anything particularly bad about it. It was aimed at kids, and obviously so, which doesn't mean it was bad. But all in all I'd say it was a fairly average film.

20. chardman

chardman Vice Admiral In Memoriam

Thus far, a dozen or more people have said "The original Star Wars movies were made for kids!"

Sure, maybe for "kids" who were nostalgic for the movie serials of the 30s, 40s, and 50s. (Or who saw them recycled on Saturday mornings throughout the early 1960s). For "kids" who longed for the good ol' days before they were born, where there were good guys who were truly good, bad guys who were truly bad, and anti-heroes had yet to become a Hollywood staple.

Face it, there's a reason that the re-release poster for "Hope" was designed to look like an old Saturday matinee poster, and why the poster for "Empire" is almost an image-by-image recreation of the poster for "Gone with the Wind". It was to appeal to an audience that grew up in an era when Hollywood made epics and heroic kitsch, and longed for a reminder of those simpler times.

The original "Wars" weren't made for kids at all, but for general audiences. If there was, within those general audiences, a specific target age group that Lucas was aiming for, it was his own age-group of 30-somethings. The very same group that he'd targeted with American Graffiti.