THOR: THE DARK WORLD - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Agent Richard07, Nov 7, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

4.5%
  2. A

28.2%
  3. A-

21.8%
  4. B+

20.0%
  5. B

10.9%
  6. B-

8.2%
  7. C+

6.4%
  8. C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Well I gave it an "A", the movie IMO was better than the first Thor movie and Iron Man 3, I liked how it was combination of Star Wars and Lord Of The Rings. It'd be a shame if this is the end of Hopkins as Odin but I guess time will tell. Eric's naked romp at Stonehedge was a bit much though.

2. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Don't believe this has been mentioned yet, and I'm surprised. In the mid-credits scene, the center piece of the Collector's show room was the Adam Warlock cocoon:

http://www.supermegamonkey.net/chronocomic/entries/marvel_premiere_1.shtml

Warlock is a one of a kind being who is probably best known as the person who usually defeats Thanos.

I'm also fascinated by this Infinity stone idea. I agree that the tesseract probably is the space gem; and that brings an interesting thought to all those people who were disintegrated by it's energy in World War II (is it possible they were just teleported?).

As for the aether:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aether_(classical_element)

I think it would most closely match to the power gem idea. But the way that Malkeith used it to darken the universe could also be interpreted as time manipulation or possibly even reality.

3. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

^I completely missed the cocoon.

4. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Feige has revealed the Aether to be the space gem.

5. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I didn't even recognize that it was a cocoon.

Source?

ETA: I think the quote was taken a bit out of context. The quote that google says showed up four days ago is incomplete. A more complete one was posted today:

I can see the confusion because an earlier quote said:

6. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

^^^It was on comingsoon's site.

7. Alidar Jarok

I edited my post. It was a badly garbled quote. The Tesseract is the Space Stone. The Aether's status has not been revealed.

8. Alidar Jarok

I found this interesting theory from a year ago. It misses on a few things (thinking the Mandarin has one of the gems). It's most interesting because it happened at a time when everyone assumed the Tesseract was the Cosmic Cube (while acknowledging that it didn't really behave like one). It emphasized the portal-creation aspect of the Tesseract fit well with it being the Space Gem. While I don't think it necessarily has to mirror the comics exactly, that's a good support for it always being thought of as the Space Gem (although I also get the impression that this was a concept created more at the time of Avengers and might not have been created until Thor 2).

Anyway, it's an interesting aside. If I were the author, I would be gloating.

9. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

10. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Missed the cocoon until just now...

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was wondering if that (the cocoon) was anything significant when I saw the movie this morning.
    As for the movie itself, I really enjoyed it. A solid A for me.
    A few random thoughts:
    I loved that they went for even more of a sci-fi/fantasy vibe this time.
    Frigga was awesome, I'm sad they killed her off. I was disappointed that we didn't get to see more of her in the first movie, so I liked see her play a bigger role here.
    I do wish we could have gotten more with Sif and the Warriors Three, but what we did get was great, so I'm not to sad. I do wonder if Jaime Alexander's injury effected how big of a role she played. It seemed like they were setting up more of a love triangle, but it was dropped once Jane showed up.
    As a big IT Crowd fan, I was thrilled to see Chris O'Dowd.
    Loki was great of course.
    I do agree with a lot of the reviews saying that Malekith was kind of a disappointment. He was just kind of there.
    I got a kick out of the both post-credits scenes. I was already familiar with the Infinity Gauntlet due to some earlier internet research before the movies started, so that got me pretty excited. I wonder if they'll tie all of that up in with GoTG or if they'll do a big IG story for Avengers 3. I'm thinking it's probably the later, but obviously that could change after we actually get to see Guardians.

12. ChowdaHead

ChowdaHead Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

its stated in avengers that the staff is powered by the tesseract. so its powers come from the space gem. but dammit, thank you for the bit on the cocoon. I had heard there was another cameo in this scene but man I surely missed this one. it has been rumored that warlock will appear in guardians so fingers crossed. I mean how else are would they plan on taking down thanos, especially thanos with the infinity gauntlet? Adam Warlock or bust!

13. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I don't know if anyone here has read the prequel comic to TDW but I guess in it Thor and Heimdall rebuilt the Bifrost using the Tesseract.

14. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why stones instead of gems?

15. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Which is just down the river...

[​IMG]

16. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If I remember correctly, Valhalla is the feasting hall of the dead chosen by Odin and his Valkyries. In this role, Olin was analogous to Mercury, or Hermes, the Psychopomp. This is why our Wednesday (from Woden's Day, in Anglo-Saxon (speaking loosely) instead of Old Norse, in Spanish is "miercoles," accent over the first "e," from Mercury.

On the other hand, Alfheim and Vanaheim are pretty consistently in the list of the Nine Worlds, along with Asgard, Midgard, Muspelheim, Svartalfheim, Jotunheim. Then the lists get shaky with Niflheim and Hel maybe separate, maybe the same. And, yes, so far as I know "Hel" is cognate with "Hell." And sometimes someplace called "Nidavellir" is thrown in as the home of the dwarves. But some think Svartal in Svartalf, which means black or dark elf is just another name for dwarf!

The interconnection of the Nine Worlds by Yggdrasil made it into the movie. The roots of the World Tree are gnawed by the serpent Nidhogg, which would be a natural for Thor 3.

But what I want to see is Ratatosk, the World Tree Squirrel!:scream:

17. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

*Cue Wagner's Die Valkure*

18. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

I thought it was very enjoyable. As a fan of Kirby's techno-mythology, I loved seeing more Asgard and the nine realms. Couldn't get enough of that, the Dark World looked cool. Fight scenes were cool, but after Man Of Steel, every fight scene feels small.

Also, there was a bit too much comedy for me. Too often it undercut the seriousness of the movie and threat, making the movie a borderline comedy. I thought the first phase movies had just the right type and amount of humor. Here it had the feel of "hey, remember that thing audiences liked in the first movie? Yeah, let's do a shit ton more of it!" It started out fine, but after awhile it got annoying.

Otherwise, I enjoyed seeing Thor's world expanded and would love to see some of Thor's cosmic epics brought to the screen.

While I've been more of a DC guy for the last two decades (stopped reading Marvel around 91-92), Marvel's "cosmic" stuff is way beyond anything DC has been able to do in any way, shape, or form. Skrulls, Recorders, Watchers, Galactus, Shaper Of Worlds, Thanos and the Titans, Celestials, Collector, Gardener, Stranger, etc.

And Starlin's run on Adam Warlock (where he turns Adam Warlock into an Elric character, complete with soul sucker and doomed fate) is one of my all time favorite runs ever. I saw the cocoon and thought "Warlock?" I don't know if he's in the current incarnation of Guardians Of The Galaxy, since I'm not familiar with that team. I'm more familiar with the Vance Astro group from the future who fights the Badoon.

19. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

People liked the "comedy" of the first movie? I thought is pretty widely seen as one of the "worst" parts of the movie. Hell, to paraphrase Kevin Murphy from the "Rifftrax" of the movie when Thor is hit, again, by Jane's van and seemingly knocked out (for the third time in the movie): "Again?! At this point why don't they just put a pair of sunglasses on him and carry him around like in Weekend at Bernie's?"

20. Alidar Jarok

I personally think the humor worked much better this time around. Much of the humor in the first movie was fish out of water humor, which I'm not a fan of (also hit-by-car humor apparently). This one was much more diverse and interesting. I had no problem with the humor, it made it feel like a nice romp. My only complaint in the humor department is I found the Warriors Three more interesting in the first movie.