Spoilers Thor: Ragnarok Grading and Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Grendelsbayne, Nov 2, 2017.

?

How would you grade Thor: Ragnarok

1. A+

16 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. A

39 vote(s)
    42.9%
  3. A-

12 vote(s)
    13.2%
  4. B+

8 vote(s)
    8.8%
  5. B

5 vote(s)
    5.5%
  6. B-

3 vote(s)
    3.3%
  7. C+

3 vote(s)
    3.3%
  8. C

3 vote(s)
    3.3%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  11. D

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is it going to get darker than Asgard being destroyed, including the on screen deaths of Thor's best friends? Cuz that was in a comedy...

2. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

For both being very comedic, the death counts in Guardians Part Two and Ragnarok are pretty high.

3. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sure, but that movie was a comedy the moment they hired the director, if not before. The Russo's past Marvel movies show that their trend will be much lighter with the laughs, though there will surely still be some to had. It will trend more Winter Soldier than Guardians.

Grendelsbayne likes this.
  4. galad2003

galad2003 Commander Red Shirt

Yes. Deadpool is why all these comic book movies are incorporating more humor into them so pointing to Fox to make serious comic movies is just wrong.

5. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Well, I would think Guardians of the Galaxy should get more credit on that count, but Deadpool certainly did contribute.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  6. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

So with the mid credits scene and the Avengers trailer from yesterday it seems like all the surviving Asgardians will be killed by whoever is in that ship and we can probably guess who it is. That would make Ragnarok seem like a waste of time as a movie but even more so make the comedy aspects of it especially near the end seem very out of place.

7. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

I think

Thor will try to fight Thanos, get beaten and tossed into space. Then Loki will give him the Tesseract in exchange for their lives but he takes them all hostage anyways.

8. galad2003

galad2003 Commander Red Shirt

Keep in mind in the comic Thanos used the Infinity stones to wipe out half the universe to impress Death, so killing a few Asgardians is no big deal. When everything is said and done and Thanos is defeated it is easy enough for everyone to be brought back to life and things set right by whoever controls the Infinity stones. That will have to be done anyway. So all the Asgardians (or anyone else) dead really means nothing. I suspect a lot of heroes will "die" during these two movies.

9. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

I really hope the Time Stone is sparingly used - as Mordo said in Doctor Strange, there are consequences.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I hope they don't destroy the ship, I'd hate to see the hopeful ending of Ragnarok completely undone. There are still ways things could play out without killing all of the people on the ship except Thor, Loki and Banner.

11. LJones41

LJones41 Commodore Commodore

If "Deadpool" is the reason why too much humor was used in "Thor: Ragnarok", then I have another reason to despise that movie. What's next for Marvel? More jokes and a shitty narrative? Well . . . there is "Black Panther". But I hope that Kevin Feige doesn't resort to excessive humor and weak writing to maintain the MCU.

12. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I guess you've never heard of Guardians of the Galaxy. ;)

Star Wolf likes this.
  13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I'd say the Guardians movies were a much, much bigger influence on Ragnarok than Deadpool was.

crookeddy likes this.
  14. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

I think it was discussed in the Empire podcast a few weeks ago, (but it can be found in this article) but Taika Waititi did say that the ship in the mid-credit scene is infact Thanos' ship.

15. LJones41

LJones41 Commodore Commodore

That does not make me happy.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed "Guardians of the Galaxy" very much. It's one of my few favorite MCU films. But it had a narrative that worked very well with its humor. I cannot say the same about "Thor: Ragnarok". Which is why the film was such a disappointment to me.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

17. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

19. fonzob1

fonzob1 Captain Captain

Really enjoyed this movie. Disney has done a fantastic job with the Marvel EU.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

The official name is the Marvel Cinematic Universe, or MCU.