THOR: Grading, Discussion, Review **SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Apr 17, 2011.

?

What grade do you give THOR?

Poll closed Nov 3, 2011.
  1. A+

25 vote(s)
    12.2%
  2. A

48 vote(s)
    23.4%
  3. A-

49 vote(s)
    23.9%
  4. B+

33 vote(s)
    16.1%
  5. B

24 vote(s)
    11.7%
  6. B-

9 vote(s)
    4.4%
  7. C+

5 vote(s)
    2.4%
  8. C

6 vote(s)
    2.9%
  9. C-

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

3 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

He is, indeed.

Parenthetically, he was an sf fan and active in fandom as a youngster; I suspect that if he's particularly frustrated by the nonsensical noisemaking occasioned by his giving Thor a fair and good humored review it's partly because he understands the mentality of the self-professed aficionado too well. :lol:

Of course not. It's folks who think that such trivia bears on the quality of a story who are "fucking idiots." It was enough, for me, that Thor's explanation to Jane occasioned using the myth of the "world tree" in a charmingly allegorical fashion. That was visually clever - "neato," as you say.

2. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Really? You needed a basic term from middle school spelled out for you?
    Your either over thinking it or being antagonistic for the sake of it, can't decide which yet.

3. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Well either way, it's pretty obvious Asgard and Jotunheim aren't the same planet, whether in the same universe or in parallel dimensions. The specifics don't matter, but missing something that obvious is strange for somebody as smart as Ebert.

4. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I dunno sounds like a legitimate question to me.:confused:

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Indeed, even the link which Captain Craig uses provides three separate, overlapping but extremely general definitions for the term - and other dictionaries include other variant descriptions as well.

Is it really? Because certainly Antarctica and Los Angeles don't exist on the same planet or in the same realm - right?

It doesn't appear that Ebert is really confused by much of this - one point he's making is that a lot of nonsense and poobah is thrown at the viewer of this movie as if it's somehow significant to understanding the story, when at most it cloaks the generally underthought nature of the proceedings. But the screenwriters are pretty much stuck with the backstory and patchwork, trivial mythology of the comics - no one in management would have approved throwing out or ignoring it any more than the writers of the Harry Potter movies would be permitted to whip that stuff into proper screen narrative for fear of offending the deep-dyed fandom.

6. Thestral

Except we see multiple establishing shots of both Asgard and Jotunheim from space (Jotunheim is dark and... bluey, Asgard isn't), and we see Bifrost coming from outer space down onto Jotunheim. There's a legitimate point to be made about single-environment planets, but they're clearly different.

See, I don't get the complaint about it being underthought. It wasn't trying to be Shakespeare, it was a reasonably straightforward tale that was well-executed.

7. Captain Craig

Sounds to me like overthinking?
    Imagery shows Asgard is one place, it shows Jotunheim as another separate planet (or sphere, for the realm definition provided, but they are both kingdoms as well). Thor's sketching to Jane shows them as clearly not being the "same planet" in this case.

How that is complicated to reconcile just baffles me? :confused:
    I hope there are no complicated historical moments to reconcile or accept as fictional liberties in Captain America cause based on just understanding what and where a "realm" is in THOR has me concerned. Same for X-Men:FC and god WB better keep the space stuff simple in Green Lantern.

8. Admiral Buzzkill

It could have tried harder to be a movie.

9. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Aren't you spending an awful lot of time talking about a 'piece of fluff'?

10. Thestral

<shrug> To each their own I guess.

11. Captain Craig

THOR 2 rumors have begun.

The source is ComicBookMovie.com so that means keep the salt handy. Honestly, don't fans of Thor expect Amora The Enchantress to show up eventually in any long term THOR saga? So, it's not like Marvel doesn't know this, maybe some minutia of truth to it.

Amora the Enchantress
    Skurge The Executioner

12. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Enchantress would be great.

They could pretty much just make this:

In her first appearance, she attempted to eliminate Thor's love interest in order to have the thunder god for herself. From her first appearance, she was assisted by a powerful minion — Skurge, the Executioner. The Executioner loved the Enchantress, but she merely kept stringing him along with her feminine wiles, using him as her muscle. She aided Loki by attempting to seduce Thor in his Don Blake identity, and by sending the Executioner to kill Jane Foster, but despite exiling her to another dimension Thor was able to bring her back.[1]

13. nickyboy

nickyboy Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Great movie, awesome effects and score - ANOTHER!

14. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Enchantress would be a logical choice but isn't she almost like a female Loki? Someone to trick Thor. I'd love to see who they cast though. Probably another actress that people think is hot but really isn't.

I'd love a Beta Ray Bill appearance myself.

15. coolghoul

coolghoul Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would have called Roger awesome, if with that followup, he had asked the suntimes not to put up so many Conan comic-book covers throughout the article. I mean his whole point is that the movie shouldn't have to borrow from the comic-source and then he puts up so many comic covers to sell his article!! How can that be cool!?!

(And I really didn't have a problem with him hating the movie or his review. Hey - not everybody is going to find the movie likeable. And some of his views I agree with to a much smaller degree of vehemence).

Also - is he deliberately making soooo many assumptions and saying that the comic-source material must be referred to for the stuff that he couldn't figure out in the movie (Asgard is a planet) to prove a point - that the movie actually took significant departures from "standard" comic-book Thor history? (Cos last I checked Asgard is NOT a planet in Marvel but that's the implication in the movie).

Also - I am not sure that Asgard is a planet in the movie either. The panning shot actually goes to the bottom of Asgard and then moves up to the surface.

16. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

If they go for the Enchantress, I say cast Alice Eve. She looks enough like Amora she could pull it off.

The Executioner, maybe the guy who plays the Hound in Game of Thrones.

17. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

They'll probably use Loki again for Thor 2 if it happens, and there will also be another villain like how Superman II used both Lex and Zod. Loki is Thor's most popular villain and it would be a mistake not to bring him back.

18. Thestral

Well Loki and Amora team up pretty naturally anyway, so that could work just fine with the Executioner just being muscle. Throw in Amora's wanting Thor for herself and maybe Odin not really approving of his son getting too friendly with a mortal woman, and you've got a fairly decent beginning. Throw in Sif pining for Thor if you want to make it really turgid. ;)

19. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm actually a little surprised that they didn't play up the Sif/Thor relationship a little more in "Thor". There was a bit of it in the movie but not much. I assume that it was excluded due to time constraints. I did like the scene at the end of the movie where Sif shares a scene with Frigga...I got the sense that Frigga gets that Sif has feelings for Thor that he doesn't share for her yet.

20. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

sif/thor relationship does'nt heat up for a while he still has the hot for earth girls.
    I know he's getting it on with sif in his new comic. that was one of the best casting jobs on a superheroe movie in a while saw a second time yesterday in 3d imax it was worth 16 bucks for a day time movie.