THOLIAN WEB tribute...

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Chris PikE, May 20, 2020.

1. Chris PikE

Chris PikE Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

1/350 Enterprise The Tholian Web... A SPFX tribute to one of my favorite episodes of the Original Star Trek's third season episodes. It features my 1/350(33") Enterprise build. The model was painted ,weathered and lit to reflect the original filming miniature as close as possible in this scale. Special attention was given to the engine/fan blade effect. It's very subtle but proved to be a challenge to get correct.

[​IMG]

SCE2Aux, Henoch, Cyfa and 3 others like this.
  2. Atolm

Atolm Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Damn...that is good

Chris PikE likes this.
  3. Tallguy

Tallguy Commodore Commodore

So cool.

Chris PikE likes this.
  4. Maurice

Maurice Fact Trekker Premium Member

Nice.

If you want to know the trick for making an authentic looking Tholian web I know it. I recreated it in The Tressaurian intersection for the web/grid around the BFD (Big F***ing Device).

5. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Go on....

--Alex

6. Maurice

It's a slot-gag, sort of like the moire on Spock's station, where two different pieces of artwork, each with with black and translucent patterns, are laid on top of each other and one or both are moved so that the area where light or and underlying color shows through changes constantly. In this instance the stationary part is the web lines, and the interference art something like a whole bunch of S-shaped squiggles.

You can see it in a number of shots at the end of "The Tressaurian Intersection". The following link starts just before we first see this web (link), and then there's a long shot where you can see the web starting at 44:36. A similar technique is used to make the white sparkles at 45:40, but in that instance I was running two sets of S squiggles art against each other instead of the web pattern.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  7. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hey, I see my childhood buddy Kyle Clark is listed as "Additional Miniature, Miniature Photography" at the 51 minute, 15 second mark. He was the person who "introduced" me to Star Trek in August 1972 right after my father an I moved into a new apartment complex.

8. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

That's really cool to know. I guess that was a common gag. I recall seeing it a lot in various Filmation cartoons.

--Alex

9. Chris PikE

Chris PikE Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

And not the Tholian Web

10. scifieric

scifieric Commander Red Shirt

Ah, sweet! The "And not the Tholian Web" warp engines are FANTASTIC!

11. Maurice

I found two pieces of the Slot Gag artwork used on those Exeter shots. Here they are.
    TTI slot gag Triangles.jpg TTI slot gag squiggles.jpg

Albertese likes this.