Things you notice in movies you haven't watched in a while

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turd Ferguson, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Last night I was watching Tim Burton's Batman. Now, I haven't watched this movie in years. I'm talking middle school. And I'm 31. So I bought the Blu-Ray and stuck it in, and something immediately caught my attention.

Growing up, I thought it was weird that the Joker wore make-up, then covered that make-up with more make-up to look like he wasn't wearing make-up. Well, watching the movie last night, I realized it was because the chemicals bleached his skin white and dyed his hair green.

Are there any things you've noticed watching a movie you haven't seen in years?

2. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

Watched Airplane! and realized just how dated the hair/clothes really was. I mean, it was depressing! And then it hit me, as the main character walked through the airport- I remember Krishnas and what-not hanging around but I haven't seen anything like that in years....

It no longer represents reality, where once it did, albeit in an absurd fashion.

3. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Yeah, I don't recall ever seeing Krishnas at the airport, even though I'd see them there all the time on TV. What the hell were those guys and where did they go?

4. Avalon

Avalon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's not exactly what you're asking for, but I've watched CONSTANTINE a bunch of times and never knew there was a scene after the credits (which is important as it addresses the status of one of the characters). I only found out yesterday because it was mentioned on TV Tropes.

5. BoxWhatBox

BoxWhatBox Commander Red Shirt

Air Plane, Batman, Batman (60s), Stripes, Ghost Busters, Hunt for Red October

6. Orcus

Orcus Captain Captain

Yep - what about them? :wtf:

7. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

The Hare Krishnas are a Hindu offshoot that started in the U.S. in the mid-1960s. They frequently showed up in movies as an emblem of hippie culture. The image of yellow-robed, dancing, chanting Krishnas soliciting donations at airports became a cliché, although I’ve never personally witnessed this activity either. But then, I don't travel by plane that often.

8. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

I saw a Hare Krishna collecting at an airport once, about 12 years ago at (I think) Phildelphia International. But he wasn't chanting or dancing, and he did have an ID badge with his charity collection licence (which you never see on TV)

But that's the only time I've ever seen one.

9. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For the most part, they got normal, I think. There are still hundreds of thousands of of Gaudiya Vaishnavas in North Am, as far as I know, and ISKCON (International Society for Krishna Consciousness) is still around, albeit in weakened form after a child molestation rap financially ruined it (see, it's not just Catholics).

Of course, there are millions of similar worshippers in India, many of whom are total dicks who don't recognize ISKCON members because of their race.

10. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I imagine they got displaced out of airports for security concerns (or because airport officials were able to use security concerns to rid themselves of what most people would consider an irritant). In Montréal, however, I have, in the last few years, seen them hanging around metro stations, usually a pair of missionaries on the platform, but once a whole drum circle dancing outside one of the major stations (technically a public park).

Not really marketing-savvy, I think; their reach is limited if they insist on personal proselytizing. What they should do is take their 'Hare Krishna' song and auto-tune it; since it's the same words repeated ad nauseum, it's a guaranteed pop hit.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

11. Itisnotlogical

Itisnotlogical Commodore Commodore

I watched the Star Wars prequels after about 5 years of going without.

I noticed how bad the acting was and how much more money must have gone in to special effects...

12. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, funny how no one has done something like that before.

:shifty:

13. MetroKid

MetroKid Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

In Ghostbusters right after they catch the ghost in the hotel ballroom Venkman gives the prices to the concierge, what always confused me as a kid is why Venkman was looking at Egon the whole time. I finally noticed that Egon is scratching his nose with the number of fingers for the thousands they will charge.:lol:

14. Python Trek

Python Trek Commodore Commodore

West Consin, People's Republic of America
    You mean like the prequels?

15. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

This isn't supposed to be some subtle detail that's hard to pick up on. We're supposed to be aware of this as soon as The Joker transforms from his original lowly mobster self. Although they deviated from it in "The Dark Knight", as far as I know the chemically altered skin and hair has traditionally been a major trait of The Joker's character.

I think the fact that you're only realizing it now just goes to show how poorly that movie's storytelling was at times. Nolan's movies may be too convoluted for their own good, but at least they explain a lot of character traits and plot points with more clarity than the old Batman movies.

16. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

As I mention in my other tread, I've been watching T&T2 recently. I'm amazed it only occurred to me last night the reason that Sarah Connor has acquired a dog at the end of The Terminator. :rolleyes: Sometimes, I worry about myself!

17. Mistral

George Harrison did. :)

18. Mistral

Oddly enough, the dog is useless unless another Terminator came for her as it would be dead by Judgment Day in all likelihood.

19. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

I thought that *was* the reason she'd got a dog...

20. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What’s worse was seeing the re-done Star Wars (sorry, some call it Episode 4, but it’s “Star Wars” to me) and realizing that I could identify most of the additions in the Mos Eisley scenes. This rock, that rock, that creature, etc. I hadn’t seen the film in years, so seeing all that seemed ... kinda depressing that I knew the film that well.