Things that frustrate us all

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by rhubarbodendron, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Commander Troi

Commander Troi Geek Grrl Moderator

I thnk so. A lot of people on our cruise were sick.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yikes, but at least you're starting to feel better.

Avro Arrow and Commander Troi like this.
  3. bdub76

bdub76 Captain Captain

I once did a Disney Christmas cruise in December, and I caught the flu by the end of it. This is only September. It's shocking that stuff is already causing problems. The stigma of going to work sick isn't as strong as it was a year or two ago.

Commander Troi likes this.
  4. SithHappens

SithHappens Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You'd think. I think it's people who feel cyclists shouldn't use the same paths as them

I did once get a mouthful off an older guy, for whatever reason him and his wife either couldn't hear the bells or chose not too. We had slowly approached them, rung the bell a couple of times then I had no option but to say excuse me and he proceeded to turn around and hurl abuse at me about giving way to walkers etc and about bikes being dangerous. I actually said we are going fast and have been patient and his wife said oh we are talking we never hear bells.

He did get a piece of my mind which I thought I did very well without using any swear words which I could easily have done

5. wayoung

wayoung Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have a new medication for my terrible, chronic, debilitating cough. I just did the final ramp to ongoing dosage last night and this morning. It's non-narcotic but I am wooooooooooooozzzzzzzyyyyyyyy as fuck.

I saw it described online as feeling the physical effects of being high without being high.

When I did the first dosage it went away in two-three days. Hopefully the same here. I already sent notice to co-workers to thoroughly review my work, that I am not confident of my accuracy at the moment.

Commander Troi and auntiehill like this.
  6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

How were you supposed to give way to walkers when you passing from behind?

7. cosmic mouse

cosmic mouse Commodore Commodore

If everyone is occupying the "correct" side of whatever path or road they are on, then passing from behind shouldn't be an issue.

on topic- that's actually a pest peeve/frustration of mine (people walking on the wrong side, increasing the risk of accidents).

8. SithHappens

it's what I asked, did he expect us to just follow behind until we could pass safely

9. Victoria

Victoria Commander Red Shirt

The cyclists down by the canal here are mostly very good but I do notice that I'm always the one that gets to stand in the nettles. The cyclists never seem to do that bit....

10. SithHappens

My sister in law did stand in the nettles or whatever they were once when we were on a bike ride to let people pass, what she didn't notice as she put her foot down was that the nettles or whatever they were had grown so the ground looked even but she was actually putting her foot in a hole causing her to go over in a heap.

Appreciate it seems a little uncaring but my sides were splitting from how much it made me laugh. She was fine. Although she did proceed to get knocked off her bike later by a car, she was also fine then although the motorist did try and insist she had given her enough room. Erm..but you knocked her off.

She was fine after both incidents though.

11. cosmic mouse

around here we call that "putting someone in the blueberries" ;) At least it wasn't poison ivy or oak.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

The only plants we have here that are a concern are cacti, but luckily I've managed to keep my distance from them.
    Anybody else on here deal with horses while on bike rides much? If so, how do you deal with them?

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

My mom joined me for the last part of my bike ride this morning and noticed that I've apparently made to many hard stops and worn through the outer rubber layer of my back tire. So now I can't ride my e-bike until I get the tire replaced, but when I take my bike in to the shop it's going to need a ton of work, and I can't afford that until I get a job or go on disability. So I think I'm going to be taking shorter rides on my manual bike for a while.

14. DarrenTR1970

DarrenTR1970 Commodore Commodore

My cell phone died. Boo! Went to the Xfinity store to see if I could trade it in. No luck. However, I was able to find a slightly bigger and better Samsung phone with the same features as my old cell phone and it was only $199 total or $8.99 a month for 24 months. Brought it back to the apartment and the power cord that came with it is incompatible with my current charger, so I can't finish setting it up until I go back to Xfinity tomorrow and buy the charger, which means I have to keep the phone off until then.

15. DarrenTR1970

DarrenTR1970 Commodore Commodore

School started here the day after Labor Day and already one of my co-workers has had to take time off from work because her children are coming home sick from school and daycare.

16. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

$1,100 car repair. :brickwall:

Commander Troi and wayoung like this.
  17. cosmic mouse

I feel you, man! :thumbdown: Beats having to buy a new car, though.

Avro Arrow and Gary Mitchell like this.
  18. wayoung

wayoung Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Especially now. The used car market is so fucked my RAV4 is worth $6k more today than it was when I bought it 18 months ago, and I've more than doubled the KM on it.

Gary Mitchell and cosmic mouse like this.
  19. cosmic mouse

Yep. And trying to find a rental is near impossible... (at least in Canada)

20. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

Rental cars are really expensive in the U.S., too. It's been on a steady increase for a long time, but it seems to have jumped even more than usual in the last couple of years.