Things that frustrate us all

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by rhubarbodendron, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Worf factor9

Worf factor9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is Midway still open? That was the only time that I flew into Chi-town to watch the Cubbies and My Red-Legs play. The others I drove or was on a chartered bus-trip.

Bonus question: What is Tom Browning known for in Wrigleyville beyond Da' Bleachers? I was there.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
  2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Apparently so, though I personally have never used it.

3. Non Sync

Non Sync Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hiding from the NARA, I've said too much...
    Midway is still open. My dad liked to tell the story how he once flew into Midway but had a connecting flight out of O'Hare. Took a helicopter ride and then had to sit on an outside bench as there was a minimal terminal at that point.

Two bits of trivia-
    O'Hare's airport abbreviation of ORD goes back to its original name of Orchard Field.
    It was changed to O'Hare to honor Edward "Butch" O'Hare, the US Navy's first Medal of Honor recipient during World War II. His father, Edward Joseph O'Hare was an attorney who worked closely with Al Capone before helping to convict Capone of tax evasion.

Worf factor9 likes this.
  4. Mr. Laser Beam

I wonder when all those renovations and new terminals will be done at O'Hare.

As it stands, international connections are a pain in the ass (if you're coming off an int'l flight and connecting to a domestic one, you have to go back through SECURITY again :wtf: :confused: :scream: ) and the E and F concourses are cramped as all hell.

Worf factor9 likes this.
  5. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Yeah I know as I have had to change from an International flight to a US domestic flight at O'Hare, fortunantly I had something like a 3.5 hour lay over, it seemed like a long 3.5 hours.

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Actually I take back that bit about international travels and security. You don't just have to do that at O'Hare, pretty much every American airport is like that. Since US security standards are unique, inbound international fliers have to reclear security at every major US airport.

The problem at O'Hare is that the international terminal is isolated from the rest of the airport. Apparently, at most US airports, once you land at an international gate and reclear your bags (and by that I mean, you get your stuff from baggage claim, have somebody check it, then immediately deposit it at a second conveyor belt like twenty feet away), you just go over to a US security gate - in the same terminal - and walk right back through. At O'Hare, though, it's different, because you have to physically leave the international terminal, ride the airport transit system, get off at one of the domestic terminals, and stand in those big-ass security lines that all newly arrived travelers have to go through.

And another thing about O'Hare that frustrates the shit out of me: It seems to be a fucking magnet for severe weather. Seems that thunderstorms just love to hit it. And when that happens, it throws a wrench into flights across the country.

7. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Two people were carrying on a conversation at the movie theater. Like loud enough for everyone to hear when the movie was quiet enough. And a few people told them to shut up.

Commander Troi likes this.
  8. DarrenTR1970

DarrenTR1970 Commodore Commodore

When driving down a two lane street and you see a sign that reads, "Caution. Right lane closed ahead." Do you,

A) Merge left at the earliest possible convenience.

Or

B) Wait until the last possible second to squeeze in, forcing the driver of the lane you're merging in to slam on his brakes and honk the horn.

If you answered "A", what world are you living in?

Commander Troi likes this.
  9. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I try to do A, but definitely live in the B world.

"Fun" story: we are currently in the throes of "road work season" here in Spokane WA, so orange signs are as ubiquitous as bad driving. So, there was a sign on the local highway that said "Right Lane Closed ahead." So, I try to live in the A world and move over, only to discover that the sign was a liar and people blocked up the right lane so I couldn't get back over and ended up going the completely long way home because of bad signage.

Hate road work and driver's make it that much worse.

Commander Troi and DarrenTR1970 like this.
  10. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is it a waste of time to buy something from Amazon that is easily damaged? Because you know how many hands touch the product by the time it gets to you, and how Amazon emphasizes employee speed over care. Ordered a giant paperback collection and the front cover was bent to hell. Got a replacement and the back cover is bent to hell.

11. Non Sync

Non Sync Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hiding from the NARA, I've said too much...
    Primary SSD drive suddenly is now reporting bad and will not boot. It hasn't been that long since I replaced it. Fortunately, most of my data is on another drive or on a NAS. Really not wanting to rebuild everything, again, and don't want to spend the money to replace it.

12. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I will never forgive the company for which I work for downgrading us from our previous system to our current, super slow, glitchy, unreliable system.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2022
  13. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

I do "A". And I must live in an "A" world, because every year the news services run yet another story about how Canadians are too polite to merge properly, because we're all doing "A", and that ends up slowing things down overall. The articles always recommend staying in your original lane until you hit the merge point. But (almost) nobody does that because we all think of it as line cutting or "cheating".

Commander Troi and auntiehill like this.
  14. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

I had ordered 3 boxes of Weck jars. They are similar to Mason jars but have a glass lid. Of 18 jars, the lids of 3 were broken. And judging by the position in the outer box, they were very likely already broken when packed.
    Breakage during transport would be understandable, but packing broken ones? The tinkle when handling the smaller boxes (they come in sixpacks which then get put into a larger box for mailing) ought to be a giveaway, one should think! Not really what I'd call good care. Fortunately, I have a few spare lids from my old jars.
    Try gummi bears/jelly bears. In the stomach acid, they dissolve to a gel that covers the stomach walls and keeps the acid from hurting the fresh scar tissue of the ulcers. The effect lasts up to several hours.
    There might be side-effects of this medication: equatorial expansion of the wasteline :D

Commander Troi and Gary Mitchell like this.
  15. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

I'll have to try that, sometime when I'm stressed out... if nothing else, it's an excuse to eat gummy bears.

rhubarbodendron and Worf factor9 like this.
  16. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Neither, in order to improve traffic flow you should ideally merge into lane as close as practical in a safe manner to the merge pint.

17. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

C. You knew beforehand which lane you needed to be in and you were already there.

When you drive a vehicle with a 40-foot arse end and your employer's name printed visibly on the side, you learn to avoid problems before they occur.

18. Mrs. Silvercrest

Mrs. Silvercrest Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That is funny you mention that. When I first got out of the hospital one of the first things that I noticed that helped me was eating the gummy bears/worms. So yeah, I don't know how much they help but I do find them soothing. And yeah, as far as the sugar and waist line, one thing at a time, first let me get this ulcer gone! Though, I do keep a bag of around to snack on when I feel the need to grab one, I try to eat only a few at a time. Anyway, nice to know someone else eats the gummies for this! :)

Commander Troi and Gary Mitchell like this.
  19. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

20. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

*Oddish looks at pic*
    Giant... gummy... bear... :drool:

Commander Troi and Worf factor9 like this.