Things that frustrate us all

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by rhubarbodendron, Sep 4, 2014.

1. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

After 5 closing dates, and three days in the world's WORST motel, we are finally moving into our new house.

It's still not entirely finished either.

Instead of being thrilled with the new house, we both feel kind of defeated by the whole process.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
    Commander Troi likes this.
  2. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

I hope that eventually you'll be happy in your new castle.

3. Non Sync

Non Sync Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hiding from the NARA, I've said too much...
    It's the journey not the destination?
    At least you SURVIVED the world's worst motel.
    Years from now, you'll laugh at the whole thing.

Welcome to your new house!

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

At least the worst of it should be over now.

Commander Troi and auntiehill like this.
  5. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Hopefully the many years of happiness to come will outweigh the last few months of stress and the last few weeks of torture.

Congratulations on your new home. Sorry I couldn't get you a real housewarming gift, but I brought you a GIF of an apple pie.

[​IMG]

6. DarrenTR1970

DarrenTR1970 Commodore Commodore

I was listening to an interview on my local NPR station this afternoon and I finally had to switch stations because every other word out of the interviewees mouth was 'like'.

You're trying to tell a story and I can't take you seriously if you're saying 'Like' all the time.

If I was the reporter, I would have stopped the interview.

Back when I was in high school, whenever I had to give a speech in front of the class, whether it be English, History, or something else, the rule was this - You started the speech with an 'A+' or '100%'. Every time you said 'like' or 'um', you would get docked a 1/2 grade or a point. Too many 'likes' or 'um's', the teacher would stop the speech and that was it. You didn't automatically fail; you would get one more chance after the rest of the class had done their presentation. If you got stopped a second time during your speech, that was it, you failed that particular speech/presentation.

I don't know when 'like' became accepted as part of reporting, but I'm consciously aware of it, and it bothers me to no end.

7. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Blame YouTube. There's a lot of interesting and worthwhile documentary content on YouTube, but so many of the presenters -- especially those under 30 -- talk like motor-mouthed, drug-addled teenagers.

auntiehill likes this.
  8. auntiehill

Yeah, you'd think that. We found out today that the outlets in the family room--you know, where the TV goes?--don't work. Our old dryer is a gas dryer, and is dying anyways, but the new house doesn't have gas hook-ups for the dryer, so I just bought a new one online. So there's another expense. There's paint touch ups that need to be done in the entire house, so all the boxes and furniture are all pulled away from the wall---in case the painters show up. The garage door openers are here yet, the curtains and blinds aren't up yet, AND, with all the moving and unpacking, my back is out again/still and I somehow got covered in mosquito bites in January.

Oh, and the cable TV is out. No telling when we will be able to watch TV again.

And the house will be full of workers again, and I'll be home alone while hubby is at work. I'm going to have to try to be extra Zen about it, or I might end up yelling at one of the workers, which I don't want to do. The managers, yes, the workers, no.

9. galleywest

galleywest Lovable Flake Premium Member

Oh thank god, I'm not the only one bothered by this. I've had to turn off podcasts because the hosts sound like background characters in Clueless (no shade on Clueless, it's a great movie, but I don't want to hear about a serious topic through that lens).

Commander Troi and DarrenTR1970 like this.
  10. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Some usage of certain words might be as a stall whilst you search for the right word(s) that you want to use, other times it could be down to nerves.

Delta Vega and Commander Troi like this.
  11. auntiehill

And the shit show continues. I had to cancel my dentist appointment to wait for the electricians. Their solution to our problem? Since all the outlets on the back of house are out, their plan is to cut a big hole in the drywall of the main wall in the living room--the center of the house-- to try to find the cut wire. [​IMG]

We just moved in and they're already demo'ing it. And we still don't have a refrigerator.

We were supposed to get "smart home" features installed today but the guy couldn't do it because there was no power going to the doorbell switch.

I can't unpack and hang up all my clothes because we're waiting for the painters to clean up all the mistakes they made in the house, including the closet. Can't hook up the washer because of a missing part. Hubby says he'll try to fix it tonight.

I need to go to the local post office to get a mail key for the neighborhood mail box. It's about a 45 min drive, in total. In our old neighborhood, we got our mail key with the sale of the house. Here? Nope. But I can't leave the house in case repairmen show up.

Can't watch TV, can't leave the house. I'm supposed to work tomorrow, as a supervisor but it might get cancelled if I lose power. I canceled so many supe shifts last month that work has only given me a few SL shifts next month. Instead of 75% supeing shifts, I have 20% for February. That means a lot less money and much greater odds that I'll ruin my stats--and they can then fire me.

And to top it all off, last night, as we struggling to put up some temporary blinds, I slammed my foot against the bed frame, and I think I broke my toe. I taped it to my pinkie toe and have been limping around.

OH...and the kicker to know the universe has turned against me: for the first time ever, Junior attacked me. He's been terribly frightened by all the change and noise, and all the strange people. So, when it was quiet this afternoon, I picked him up and put him in my lap--but he freaked out and sliced open my chin with a three inch, jagged scratched. So now I have a big new scar on my face.

12. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow, can you catch even ONE break? Seems like you have used up any good luck you had and only have bad left. I hope things turn around for you soon.

13. Commander Troi

Commander Troi Geek Grrl Premium Member

I'm frustrated that it's 2:15 am and I can't sleep and need to be up at 7:30 to go have an ultrasound because when I was in the ER and they did a CT scan, they saw a lesion on my liver. But I'm not worried or anything. :ack:

My heart goes out to anyone working in healthcare! **hugs**

I am so sorry this has been such a hellish experience for you (and Junior)! I truly hope your shitshow ends ASAP. **hugs**

auntiehill likes this.
  14. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

The tinnitus in my bad (left) ear gets steadily worse. It's gotten to the point where I need a prescription sedative like Ambien to help me sleep. I'm seeing an audiologist who specializes in tinnitus treatment next Tuesday.

15. galleywest

galleywest Lovable Flake Premium Member

Oh no! I hope everything is okay! Sending you hugs!

16. Commander Troi

*hugs* I hope they can help!

17. Commander Troi

Thanks! I probably won't hear any results until next week. :(

18. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

Fingers crossed.

19. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Best wishes!

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, wow, I'm sorry things are going so bad for you.
    Yikes, good luck.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2022