The Witcher - Netflix

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by John Clark, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is second hand information (as in I haven't read the books), but in the books Geralt doesn't typically roll around with both swords on his back. He keeps his silver sword on his horse since he only needs it for specific situations versus the general usage of the steel sword.

In the game of course it was different because not always carrying both swords would have been a pain.

EyalM likes this.
  2. HarryCanyon1982

HarryCanyon1982 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Looks very interesting as a sci-fi/fantasy geek, this should be something unique for Netflix.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Kai "the spy" likes this.
  4. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Vice Admiral Admiral

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have to admit, I was wondering if they were going to go for a different type of horse for Roach.

6. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Looks pretty good to me.

8. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There were rumors of the show being very low budget, and there were conflicting rumors of the show having a GOT level budget. Looks closer to the latter to me.

9. crookeddy

The differences between the books and games are going to confuse the hell out of people. For example Triss is not a redhead.

10. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good. If people are too lazy to read the books and then complain about how things are "wrong" they deserve to be confused.

11. crookeddy

Well, we need people to like the show (assuming its good) so that it doesn't get canceled. Having legions of people online angry for invalid reasons won't help.

12. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Already plenty of people in the YouTube comments complaining because certain things don't look like they did in the games, like Geralt's pendant.

13. crookeddy

And Triss isn't a redhead.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe they should just put a big notice the beginning that says "THIS IS BASED ON THE BOOKS, NOT THE GAMES, SO SOME THINGS WILL NOT LOOK LIKE THEY DO IN THE GAMES".

15. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's not just that. I think that's boiling it down too simply. You have an obscure fantasy series, and for a majority of new fans, they've been made aware of the series via the games, more recently Witcher 3, which is a AAA game and one which sold very well, and that's where most will have gotten their visuals from. I don't think it's an unfair expectation.

16. Beckerjr

Beckerjr Lieutenant Red Shirt

No it won’t because the vast majority of the potential 150 million Netflix viewers will never have played any of the games. This is the same as hardcore Trek nerds who obsess over Discovery “canon inconsistencies” when most watching would have no clue what they are talking about.

17. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I'll go in cold. Never read the books, but also never played the games. Still looking forward to the show.

18. Relayer1

Relayer1 Vice Admiral Admiral

May read the books before watching it - I have them on my Kindle. Absolutely zero chance of me playing the games - video gaming bores the ***s off me, so glad they're following the novels.

19. crookeddy

The witcher games sold 33 million copies. Most likely those 33 million will make for the majority of the show's audience.

20. Beckerjr

Beckerjr Lieutenant Red Shirt

Uh no.