The weekly WATCHMEN episode sum-up

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Foxhot, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I think the entire first episode was just setting up the murder of Don Johnson's character. Where the comic began with the Comedian already dead, the first episode of the show builds up to the murder that they will storybuild the around. Damon Lindelof has said that the longtime Watchmen fans will be rewarded for their patience if they watch the whole season.

2. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Yes, and look at the behavior of the superheroes who are considered sane.

Rorschach is the only character who has any integrity or believes in any of what they allegedly represent. Oxymandias murders millions of people in cold blood and Rorschach is the only one who's not willing to accommodate it.

jaime and CorporalCaptain like this.
  3. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looks like we found the fascist/ libertarian.

4. crookeddy

What was there that was hard to understand?

The only weird part was the horseshoe bit. Did anyone get what that's about?

5. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Like I said, I don't think any of them are particularly mentally healthy.

I'm certainly not excusing Ozymandias--who made the decision to kill millions to save billions--a very unheroic plan in the face of global armageddon.

However, Rorschach is held hostage by his "integrity" and dies because of it. For him, there is no context. It's either right or wrong, black or white. There's no other colors. And punishment should be swift and brutal.

That's not a way to live ones life.

In the book, none of them are pure examples on how to live. Each of them are heroes in some ways, and villains in others. I think Moore set up the story so there would be no "heroic" ending. Ozymandias explains his plan because it already happened. There was no way to "save the day."

Even with the coda with Rorschach's diary, what "good" came of the "invasion" will be undone.

I feel like in the end, the book is about if we rely on heroes, we're fucked, because they are just as flawed and terrible as we are, but, they have powers and abilities, so they're worse.

Don't be silly.

6. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I watched this last night. Not sure what I think about it yet, but one thing I can say for certain. Jeremy Irons was some DAMN FINE casting as old Adrian Veidt/Ozymandias. He literally looks like Matthew Goode aged thirty years.

The "in the weeks ahead" trailer looks pretty interesting, as well.

Edit: Also didn't realize until it was over that old Will Reeves was Louis Gossett, Jr.

John Clark likes this.
  7. Jarvisimo

Jarvisimo Captain Captain

Fantastic interview of Lindelof by Alan Sepinwall:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    kitik likes this.
  8. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pilot episode did very little for me tbh. Solid 6/10 fare.

For those cramming the novel/movie for context/backstory, that’ll be a double-edged sword - you’ll get the knowledge, but you’ll probably realise pretty quickly that this isn’t a patch on either.

Early days, hopefully things will improve, but this has set the bar fairly low IMO.

9. Noname Given

Noname Given Admiral Admiral

IDK - In the 'most mentally ill' department, The Comedian and Ozymandias could give Rorschach a run for the money.

Comparatively Night Owl II and Silk Spectere II just have daddy and mommy issues respectively.

I'll give Dr. Manhattan a complete pass as having to reconstruct yourself from scratch and gaining god-like powers in the process would cause anyone major mental problems - but hey, he's not Human anymore anyway, he just used what he recalled as a frame of reference. ;).

CorporalCaptain likes this.
  10. crookeddy

There is a certain interpretation of life that the comedian subscribes to that realizes that nothing we do actually matters, so fuck it, it was all a joke anyway. Is that mental illness or simply the truth...

11. Professor Zoom

I'll give you Ozymandias, that's for sure.

They both need some therapy, that's for sure.

Yep.

I think, in the end, Alan Moore created a comic book series where none of the characters should be looked up to and emulated. Whereas we look at Batman and Superman and Spiderman and we're supposed to go "Wow, I wish I could do what they do."

In this take on superheroes, Moore says, "no... you really don't... you should get therapy."

12. crookeddy

Ozymandias literally saves the world... Is that a mental illness?

13. Turtletrekker

Thanos was right?

14. skip bittman

skip bittman Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Ultimately it's hard not to feel a tug of sympathy for our hard-right nutjob Rorschach when he's caught and someone points out he's wearing lifts, innit?

So when does Jeffrey Combs get a feature as The Question? Oh man, that'd be a hoot. Or a super-trippy b&w Mr. A that goes all Ditko-schizoid-psychedelic.

15. crookeddy

That's one interpretation.

16. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk Punk Premium Member

it's neither here nor there.

17. Professor Zoom

It takes a certain sort of psychopath to say, "Yeah, I'll kill millions to save billions."
    If you can't see that, I can't help you.

18. crookeddy

What show is it that we all like? Is it the one where a very popular characters says that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few?

19. Turtletrekker

The difference there was that Spock made a willing sacrifice to save his crewmates. He wasn't sacrificed at the altar of a madman's whim.

20. Professor Zoom

Millions of innocent lives who have no say in the matter are "few"?
    Lol.
    I can see I don't need to take your posts seriously anymore.

Nerys Myk likes this.