The weekly WATCHMEN episode sum-up

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Rowdy Roddy McDowall, Oct 18, 2019.

1. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I liked it, but not so much to make me think “Wow, the next great HBO series is here!”

I like the general premise of a world where police are anonymous and fighting against white supremacist terrorists targeting police. There are certain elements which feel like a reach. Like, police having to get special permission to access their firearms. There is no world liberal enough for that to believably happen.

2. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll be taking a look tomorrow. Sky Atlantic seem to have picked it up here.

3. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

After seeing the first episode, I will probably give it one or two more; but if it's all on the same level as this pilot - IMO it's connection to anything "WATCHMAN" comic story related is nearly non-existent and it's completely mediocre out of the gate. Mr. Lindelof is lucky in that not many writers in Hollywood get to do a personal therapy project. YMMV.

Forbin and crookeddy like this.
  4. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Rorshach is actually literally a Rorshach. He tells us who people are based on what they see in him. For example, Snyder clearly idolized him.

5. crookeddy

Ah looking for someone to tell you how to feel I see...

6. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

The podcast I'm listening to hasn't yet reviewed the TV series, and their review won't be recorded/posted for several days.

7. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I'm reassured that you don't get him.

8. crookeddy

If you "get" him, you are doing it wrong. Him being morally ambiguous is a part of the multi layered character. You did understand one of the layers - he is a deconstruction of Batman (together with Night Owl).

9. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Rorschach, in the comic book, is also the one who is most mentally ill of the main characters.
    That dude snapped.
    He's like the Arthur Fleck of the book.

10. crookeddy

Which is why it's kind of disturbing that Snyder interpreted him as an almost unambiguous hero.

11. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Rorschach has always given boners to a certain sort of fan. Especially the libertarians.
    None of the characters, except maybe Night Owl I, are really healthy people. They all fucked up. Night Owl can't get an erection unless he puts on a costume and beats people up.
    All of the Watchman have issues, and none of them should be looked up to as heroes.

Noname Given likes this.
  12. crookeddy

And that's one of the deconstruction aspects - you'd have to be crazy to become a costumed vigilante.

13. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Sounds like I need to do WAY more background reading for this show, I just went in fresh. What do I need to watch?

14. crookeddy

Nothing. If this is going to be a good show it will need to stand on its own. If you want to enjoy the winks and nods, just read the book, since its in the book's universe.

Captaindemotion likes this.
  15. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

You could watch the movie, although the ending of the book and the movie are different and the shows is playing off the end of the book.

16. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That was the strangest thing I've ever seen. I was completely confused, and I've been a Watchmen fan since 1988. My wife said she felt like she walked in to the middle of a movie, and had no idea what to make of anything.

Hopefully things will improve....

17. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I think the entire first episode was just setting up the murder of Don Johnson's character. Where the comic began with the Comedian already dead, the first episode of the show builds up to the murder that they will storybuild the around. Damon Lindelof has said that the longtime Watchmen fans will be rewarded for their patience if they watch the whole season.

18. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Yes, and look at the behavior of the superheroes who are considered sane.

Rorschach is the only character who has any integrity or believes in any of what they allegedly represent. Oxymandias murders millions of people in cold blood and Rorschach is the only one who's not willing to accommodate it.

jaime and CorporalCaptain like this.
  19. crookeddy

Looks like we found the fascist/ libertarian.

20. crookeddy

What was there that was hard to understand?

The only weird part was the horseshoe bit. Did anyone get what that's about?