The weekly WATCHMEN episode sum-up

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Rowdy Roddy McDowall, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

1. Jon didn't know that the attack was coming or the weapon that they would use, so he could not act as if he did know either of those things, until after he did. We saw this in the comic and when he told Angela about her favorite something, that he later said was interesting, becuase he didn't know that.

2. Veidt is in Lady Trieu's statue, he just thinks that he is on Europa.

2. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Just got back from an event interviewing Damon Lindelof. It was pretty interesting. Few interesting things.
    1. He was offered Watchman three times, once before Leftover, during Leftovers and obviously. He said yes the third time.

2. the work of Ta-Nehisi Coates, specifically about Tulsa and Reparations were on his mind when he accepted doing Watchman. Tulsa was a story he wanted to tell, so he combined both things.

3. Hooded Justice being a black man was one of the first things he decided. The way he described it, he had been thinking a lot about the mystery of Hooded Justice from when he read Watchman as a kid--and he was reading it as the issues were coming out. He had wondered why Hooded Justice never revealed his identity. What was he trying to hide. But, Hooded Justice being black was the core idea that started his version.

4. They spent a lot of time creating the world before writing the pilot. He wanted to do a pilot before HBO committed to doing a full season.

5. All of Adrian's stuff at the Castle had to be shot at the same time, as they had limited time at the castle--which means those segments were written before many of the other episodes.

6. It seems Lindelof is only going to do this series. He wanted to do something that had a beginning, middle and and end. He said right now he doesn't have an idea for another season, but was sure that at some point there would be another series. He brought up examples of True Detective and Fargo and something else I don't remember, as shows all taking place in the same universe, but being whole. So... who knows if HE will be back for another season, but...

gblews and theenglish like this.
  3. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

Well. He is literally a walking Jesus metaphor in this show. I assumed that was obvious.

4. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

I’d actually prefer this to be a single season show. Don’t risk ruining a good thing.

KennyB and Turtletrekker like this.
  5. Professor Zoom

I agree somewhat. If there was another, I’d like to see a new story—with new writers— rather than trying to recreate the magic with the same characters. But, I’m also content having no more. Especially in this day and age of everyone getting franchises instead of stories.

Turtletrekker and Awesome Possum like this.
  6. Awesome Possum

I’d watch it if they somehow convinced Alan Moore to write it and told him to do whatever he wants.

7. Professor Zoom

I think Hell would have to more than freeze over before Alan Moore would be willing to touch Watchman again.
    Well, they would have to give him ALL the rights back... and that's never going to happen.

8. Awesome Possum

It would be interesting though.

9. jaime

True.
    But.
    In the era of DC hero TV crazy, I really think we could have done with more nite owl in the mix. He seems to be off the board because he’s politically difficult to fit in with the themes...he’s already an inherited mantle, he’s a straight (in the uncomplicated sense, not sexuality, though that too, even though it’s really not applicable) white hero stereotype. Where do we put him? Goodie? Baddie? We already have Laurie running through a new arc that paralells Angela (the Doc Manhattans exes club. Though technically he loves them all at once...) so she doesn’t need another ex or even current to muddy the story. He accepted Veidt plan without really being complicit...in many ways he’s just too dull to use in the story they have set up.
    On the other hand, what has happened to him is interesting, but too interesting to fit in with everything else happening in the show, só if we go to a second season that is something to hang it on ‘how do you punish heroes’ is something at the edges (implicit in the title ‘Who watches the watchmen’) but finding out where he went, pushed to the side by society he protected and people he loved? Where does that figure go? He saw his best friend die for ideals he shared...but perhaps not as strongly.
    He could be interesting.

That’s if he doesn’t show up with looking glass in the finale. (Though maybe looking glass is something we come back to in series two if it goes to one. His arc doesn’t need anything more just yet.)

Skellington likes this.
  10. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  11. jaime

12. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So, honesty time. Is anyone NOT enjoying this show? Did anyone actually know that it would be THIS good?

13. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I've been pleasantly surprised.

14. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

From what I read in the interview, I doubt this is the reason for not using Drieberg. I think it might have been because he was portrayed as a leader of the heroes in the comic and in the TV show, that position was occupied by Angela. They just didn't need him in the story Lindeloff was telling. Plus it might complicate Laurie's story. She's shown to still be hung up on Jon.

Love the stuff in the interview about Ya Ya Abdul-Mateen. I first saw him in the Netflix show, The Get Down. He played a character named Cadillac who I described as Fred Astaire if he were a henchman. Ya Ya is an accomplished dancer as well as actor.

15. Professor Zoom

16. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I agree that you might want to just write a great season and leave it be.

But it still makes me feel sad that I have not gained the next new cool thing to care about and talk about for several years.

A great TV show that keeps you excited about the fate of the characters for a long time is something special.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  17. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just think of it as a long movie.

jaime likes this.
  18. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

This show had me intrigued with the first couple of episodes but I wasn't really feeling the "vibe" until the third episode. Since then, I've have been thoroughly entertained and blown away by the story, thematic structure, acting, and production values. It is one of the best things I have ever seen on television.

19. jaime

That’s more or less what I said in my post before reading the interview xD (I even explicitly say he’s not needed in the Laurie arc which is in relation to Angela.) mine wasn’t a ‘because he’s white hero’ rage post, it was talking about his archetype (I don’t know if he is the leader as such...he just forms half a Batman.) and role not fitting the story.

20. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

Fun little bit from Peteypedia: they gave Nelson Gardner's/Will Reeve's home address as 1 West 91st Street. Its always fun to see if people will attempt to use a real location in NY. Apparently his home is now a montessori school.