Spoilers The Walking Dead Season 10

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Jul 20, 2019.

1. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You can if he makes over a million an episode.

2. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

If Supernatural can last fifteen seasons, I'm sure Walking Dead can keep on truckin' for a long while.

Okay, so an old Soviet-era satellite fell from the sky and landed largely intact-- enough for Eugene to think he can salvage valuable hardware-- and started a forest fire. Didn't see that coming. But our people had to enter Whisperer territory to fight the fire, so apparently that's going to start something.

But they're going to be prepared, because they've been training to fight as an army. Weird, but probably wise.

In other news, the rebirth of civilization continues, with Carol out at sea and the Doc training some assistants. One of whom has already developed a god complex. And something's up with the Doc. He's having flashbacks. That can't lead to anything good. But the baby has a lot of people looking after her, all of whom are pretty weird, but it's better than nothing.

And Daryl wants to hit the road-- maybe the deaf girl has him worried.

3. crookeddy

Wow, watching this episode so soon after Fear and the quality gap is telling. TWD is HBO level while Fear is basic cable quality.

Shell1993 likes this.
  4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

This was a pretty good episode and season premiere.

Honestly, I was disappointed that we didn't get any "space walkers," thinking the satellite was a space station section and that the astronauts trapped in it when the apocalypse happened died and reanimated over the last 10 years or however long has passed in TWD, "survived" the re-entry and we'd get space-walkers. (Yeah, in all likelihood they wouldn't have survived re-entry, but there's a lot we have to accept with the module surviving so "intact" during re-entry and happening to fall near our characters. Hell, even with the shots of it falling from the sky it looked like it wouldn't have landed 100 miles from them!

The forest fire fighting seemed a bit... "contrived" that they'd have the capacity and equipment to so effectively fight, and extinguish, the fire.

But, good episode. The actress playing Judith just does a great job and it's just a pleasure and treat to get her scenes.

5. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Probably,. The Walking Dead is the most significant fantasy TV series of this century, and no matter what quality dips it takes, a phenomenon of that level is not going to get the axe anytime soon.

...which makes the Whisperers appear to be suicidal idiots, since a raging forest fire would overtake them on noting ore than wind. If that's not as important than Alpha's BS "leadership"/territorial issues, then she deserves whatever the heroes decide to do with her.

The writers are trying to imply he had something more o do with the capture of the victims than he let on--or he's suffering from survivor's guilt. Perhaps the Whisperer's made him watch/participate in the beheadings. In any case, he is rattled.

Eventually, the series needs to explain his aversion to relationships. He always danced around a teasing relationship with Carol (until she moved on), he was seemingly on the verge of opening an emotional door with Beth, before she was kidnapped, but since that time--six seasons ago--he's always closed off with no reason given.

Yes, Cailey Fleming was a hone run of casting.

Shell1993 likes this.
  6. crookeddy

Let me clarify something - nobody wants or expects The Walking Dead to be canceled (any time soon). What we want is an ending, so we can start looking at the story as a completed work.

Shell1993 likes this.
  7. RJDiogenes

^^ I doubt if we'll ever get a clear-cut ending. Although I always thought it would be funny if the Zombies just suddenly dropped deader one day, and the Apocalypse was over as suddenly and as inexplicably as it began.

Well, the Whisperers seem to be a few pickles short of a picnic.

I was thinking he has PTSD that will imperil the baby, but there could be more to it.

He was a quiet, sensitive guy who was abused by his older brother. I think that's all there is to it.

Shell1993 likes this.
  8. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Wasn't it implied that both Daryl and Merle were abused by their father?

9. RJDiogenes

That's probably true as well. I don't remember.

10. TREK_GOD_1

Yes. In season three's "Home", after Merle sees Daryl's scars, Merle said he had to leave home, or else he would have killed their father, the implication being he had been abused, too.

Starkers and Shell1993 like this.
  11. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yes I recall that now @TREK_GOD_1

A good opener anyway, nice to see the group using tactics and starting to operate more as a trained army.

I'm naïve enough to think Negan was being genuine in telling her to keep her head down, especially given he used the same argument about himself stepping out of the firing line.

I can't believe the Doc sold everyone out, I wouldn't put it past Alpha to have forced him to deliver some of the killing blows however. He could just have PTSD and survivors guilt from watching everyone else die (why did Alpha choose him to live, random choice or something else?)

BTW the nuclear option the Whisperers have, is this just the sheer volume of walkers they can command?

12. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

There was a very large canyon packed with 1000s of walkers they threatened to unleash.

13. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Would Space Walkers even pose much of a threat? After spending a decade floating around in zero gravity, even if they survived re-entry, the exposure to gravity again would likely leave them immobile (as astronauts tend to be their first day or so back on Earth after spending six months in space). So if anything, if it were a space station that crashed intact, most likely we'd see someone, say Michonne board it, see the Space Walkers laying flat on deck snapping their jaws until she poked her sword into their heads.

14. crookeddy

So basically it'd be like most walkers on the show these days.

15. TREK_GOD_1

That's the question--why choose Siddiq? It could have been random chance, and that chance is what's giving him survivor's guilt, or, one day, Alpha will infodump some hidden truth about the night in the stable.

Yes--but walkers are not easy to control just by walking with them in disguise. What's to stop the heroes from setting up some sort of perimeter system to attract the walkers in other directions in the event a herd (Whisperer associated or not) finds their way to the communities? Something drawing them away would upend Alpha's "nuclear option" or give the heroes enough of a chaos diversion to strike at the Whisperers among the walkers.

Starkers and Shell1993 like this.
  16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

The only way I could see Daryl leaving is if Norman Reedus has enough, and they can't convince him to cooperate.
    He's one of the last members of the original group, and probably the most popular character on the show, so I just can't see them killing him off, unless they have no choice. While most of the new characters have been good, I don't think any of them have really reach the same level of popularity of the original group, so I could see trying at least one or two of them around as long as possible to keep the long time fans invested.

17. crookeddy

What if it just doesn't make financial sense to keep him around any more? If he demands more money than they make...

18. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Fire two other actors to help offshoot his salary. Jason

19. Q2UnME

Q2UnME Commodore Commodore

Good gravy, this episode is boring. Not a fan of the Whisperers story line and could give two shits about Alpha’s origins. Snooze.....

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    Jayson1 likes this.
  20. TREK_GOD_1

The Walking Dead
    Season 10 - Episode 2 - "We Are the End of the World"

Alpha: After all she's experienced, she's still an unsympathetic character, unlike her daughter, who has been nothing except the recipient of abuse all along.

Beta: His conversion from somewhat human to cutting the skin from his friend's face was quick. Humans do not get over their natural aversion to all things dead overnight. But, the script was moving toward reboot Michael Myers zone without really giving us a weighty reason why.

He's far too eager to want to live as a monster, and punish anyone who does not see the Whisperer life as normal. I feel his vindictive manner will end up costing the life of Alpha, thus no Carol vs Alpha showdown, despite their stare down) which was revisited in this episode.

NOTES: Season 9 briefly explored Alpha's past, but her full transformation into a dead-loving nihilist required more screen time. While not the greatest of TWD's "origin"/flashback episodes, it provided the necessary explanation for her sick worldview.

GRADE: B-.

Shell1993 likes this.