Spoilers The Walking Dead Season 10

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well on the plus side at least we know Siddiq was innocent of any involvement in the beheadings (man, the bit when he stared at the railings was chilling) but what a horrible end! Looks from the preview like Dante will soon be found out at least. What had he done to the water and was this/wasn't this connected to what Omega was doing (which presumably is aimed more at Hilltop) Isn't that slightly cribbed from an episode of ZNation?

Damn it Carol!

I do wonder which way Omega is going to jump now. She already seemed conflicted, and suffering PTSD over letting her sister die, so I don't think she is immutably wedded to Alpha now she knows Alpha lied about her own sacrifice. Though unspoken I guess Omega's view was; "Given out leader sacrificed her own daughter, sacrificing my sister was the least I could do." The realisation can't help but fuck her up, especially when Aaron is being kind.

I can understand the appeal of the Whisperers, but can't see how that level of fanaticism could extend to someone like Dante living and working inside Alexandria, there must have been a risk he'd go native. Presumably Alpha already levelled with him that she didn't kill Lydia, because as has been said, that's a heck of a plot point otherwise (unless Dante arrived before Alpha lied about killing Lydia?)

Anyone else seeing Negan/Omega/Lydia as forming some kind of triumvirate in charge of the whisperers?

How many weeks has it been since we've seen Michonne/Judith etc?

2. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Gamma, not Omega. You skipped a few greek letters, there...

Shell1993 and crookeddy like this.
  3. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe the doctor from the cop controlled hospital could find himself on the show next season. Maybe even the cops. That would answer the communties need for better security and a doctor. Perhaps working for a more advanced community like the one with hellicopters. At some point I would like to see how the return of guns and tech would change what they have built. Maybe Maggie being in charge of the new arrivals. Jason

4. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

The one problem is that the cops were too busy making the hospital their own little empire and would just try to do the same with the communities. That just gives our gang new infiltrators to eventually have to kick out. Take the doc, yes, but recruit the law enforcers from within.

5. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

That is a pretty good point, Dante must be a near super loyal zealot if he's still devoted to Alpha even now knowing Lydia is still alive. The again, if Lydia's survival were to be known among the rest of the Whisperers, I suspect it really would fracture them quite a bit. While there are those, like Gamma who would feel betrayed and turn against Alpha, I suspect there are also those who might still remain loyal and rationalize to themselves that Alpha must have had her reasons for telling the lie. Indeed, while discussing the possibility of what would knowledge of Lydia's survival do to the Whisperers on Talking Dead a few weeks back, Ryan Hurst pointed out the Whisperers already accept a degree of hypocrisy concerning Lydia in that Whisperers aren't supposed to keep their old names, most of them are nameless aside from Alpha, Beta and now Gamma who go by new names now they are Whisperers. Yet Lydia still keeps her name, and kept it even when she was a Whisperer. So if the Whisperers were okay with that, there's likely to be those who would shrug off Alpha allowing her daughter to live even after betraying her.

Though something I just thought of while typing this, shouldn't Lydia have recognized Dante? She recognized the prisoner without his mask on, so why not Dante?
    Without going into spoilers regarding a storyline from the comics which the show is getting close to, I do feel a technologically advanced community is going to be met soon. Even going on information from the show so far, we now that helicopter came from somewhere, there's Eugene's radio friend who is clearly from somewhere with a radio anyway, and publicly available knowledge from the third spin-off indicates it's set at a community that has maintained some form of advanced technology. I suspect the next doctor will come from such an advanced society, which may also open the door for treating Ezekiel's cancer.

6. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Of course 7 years have passed so the ones who are still alive might have changed as people. Jason

7. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Not if they think their survival is due to their original methods.

TREK_GOD_1 likes this.
  8. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Let them rot. Until the hospital was infiltrated, they were all content to abuse the residents under the idea of "restoring" the world and waiting for some rescue that would never come. Dawn barely tried to turn a moral corner when she fought one of her officers, but jumped right back to her posturing in the prisoner exchange, which ultimately cost Beth her life.

Even the doctor was a self-serving ass every step of the way. But its besides the point, since I cannot imagine that hospital group survived so long with dwindling resources and other human predators (probably with larger numbers) in the region.

The Wormhole, Admiral2 and Shell1993 like this.
  9. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

:techman:

Yes, that begs explanation, either confirming that she did in fact know (and perhaps in that case relating in some way to her decision to run back across the border when Gamma saw her) or explaining how she didn't.

The Wormhole likes this.
  10. Shell1993

Shell1993 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

It's possible that Lydia doesn't know every Whisperer.

11. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes, that would be an explanation.

Shell1993 likes this.
  12. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I guess it stands to reason that if Alpha were to send a spy into Alexandria, she'd select specifically someone who Lydia wouldn't immediately know without their mask on. Hmm, maybe Dante was a night shift Whisperer while Lydia was day shift. Actually, is there any reason that can't work? Lydia was clearly operating in the day when she was captured, and Dante was clearly working at night when the beheadings happened. I guess that leave the prisoner, who was also out at night, yet was recognized by Lydia. Perhaps he switched to nights after Lydia left, or perhaps those who watch over the hoard go on some sort of watch system, like in the navy?

Admiral2, TREK_GOD_1 and Shell1993 like this.
  13. TREK_GOD_1

Probably--they cannot all be on the same shift around the clock, and unless Alpha wanted Lydia to get her hands dirty by helping in attacks (the worst occurring at night, such as the graveyard and the stable), she was probably just wandering around in the day, just as she was when captured.

The Wormhole likes this.
  14. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Another good episode. Sad to see Siddq go but... Not really since we didn't get a whole heck of a lot of him in the first place. (The In Memoriam segment on Talking Dead struggled to show clips of him that didn't involve our first meeting him and then his death. Usually we get a few good character moments and quotes but here it was just his being found, his PTSD and death.)

15. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Well, that sucked. Poor Siddiq spends months being tortured by survivor guilt and PTSD only to be killed when he realizes that his colleague is a Whisperer mole. And another great character is gone. I am now on the hate curve of my love-hate relationship with Walking Dead.

As I grumble under my breath, though, I'm curious about Dante and that touching speech he gave just before his unexpected battle to the death with Siddiq. He seemed sincere, so was he just playing Siddiq or was he talking himself into becoming a member of the community? Were his loyalties shifting? Perhaps framing Siddiq with the hemlock was the last straw and he had turned the corner. How ironic if he would have turned on Alpha and the Whisperers if only Siddiq hadn't recognized him.

Shell1993 likes this.
  16. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Dante's speech confused me too. Was he playing Siddiq? Was he falling in love with the community? Or is the community thing how he feels about the Whisperers too?

And when he killed Siddiq, didnt he say "not you...not like this"?

Very confusing..which I guess is the point, which makes this a great episode for me (despite the death)

TREK_GOD_1 and Shell1993 like this.
  17. RPOW0614

RPOW0614 Commander Red Shirt

I will not miss Saddiq.
    He was the latest incarnation of the sad cliché...
    "Character having hallucinations or visions but refuses to tell anyone until it's too late"
    This being a Star Trek site I'll assume you have all seen quite enough of that particular character.
    Bye Saddiq, moving on...

137th Gebirg and Admiral2 like this.
  18. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Agreed. I never found him that particularly compelling a character to want to care much about what happens to him.

19. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Right, I was trying to make out what he said. It sounded regretful, whatever it was.

He wasn't having hallucinations or visions, he was having flashbacks to a traumatic experience. Like anybody in their right mind, he didn't want everybody to know he wasn't in his right mind.

Shell1993 likes this.
  20. TREK_GOD_1

Rough crowd! ;)

137th Gebirg likes this.