The Voice 4

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by intrinsical, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

Please don't hate me for saying this! But, I think it's because she's kind of boring. I mean, she's a pretty young white girl with a pop sounding voice, of which there are many. Combine that with not having an incredibly tragic backstory or funky glasses and you've got a montaged singer. If you think about it, nearly everyone else the coaches have kept around has something really unique about them, whether it is the way they look, their backstory, or their genre of music. This has always been true on the show to some extent, but I feel like in past seasons they were more open to choosing your run-of-the-mill pop singers. Last year and this year in particular they seem to be bypassing those folks in favor of building "unique" and "eclectic" teams. Even in the blind auditions where they can't see the singers, someone unique-looking like Michelle Chamuel gets chosen because of her song choice.

So basically, if you're not able to truly differentiate yourself in some way, you won't get through. While Amy may be a good singer, she probably just doesn't stand out enough as a personality to win the whole thing. You can argue that that's wrong since this show is called "The Voice," but it seems like that's just the way it is.

2. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

Naturally, I disagree with you guys :P I do agree that her story isn't interesting, but I think she has a very unique voice. Show me another female singer who can sing like Steve Tyler.

I'm still somewhat hopeful for Amy. For some reason, Adam chose a song that was exactly in her ballpark. Its a song that allows her to showcase her signature screamer rock voice. Strangely, the montage doesn't even show any of that... Right now, I can only hope that Adam somehow knows how good Amy is and is intentionally keeping her on low profile. Fingers crossed.

3. Spot's Meow

It's entirely possible that she could go really far. I'm still baffled by last year's Cassadee Pope win, she also seemed very boring and generic to me but somehow took it all, so really anything is possible.

Personally, I'm rooting for Midas Whale even though they have no shot in hell at winning. :lol:

4. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Cassadee didn't break out until she sang "Over You." Then it was a whole new ballgame for her.

What's funny is if you look around the web for stuff about The Voice, no matter who gets eliminated, there's always a pocket of commenters all pissed off at the show and proclaiming they'll never watch again... even for singers you know have no shot in hell of going very far.

But on the other hand, coach unpredictability and disagreement probably helps keep this show going.

5. intrinsical

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tqxozkx-8xo[/yt]

See, why couldn't they have shown her singing the ending part of the song?

6. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It is a TV show, by their premise they can't provide the outlier during the cattle call auditions so they push the quirky and the sob stories up front when the show is strongest. When the viewers start voting they will vote for the generic person who comes closest to mass cross over appeal. And a few of those may have an edge because their sob story was featured in earlier rounds.

7. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Casadee Pope was the first result that didn't baffle me. I was rooting for Trevin Hunte but she would have been my second choice.

What completely baffled me was Jermaine Paul. I'm 90% sure he would have never done so well if not for his association with Alicia Keys.

The Voice is always a fun distraction. I really like the format changes in seasons 3 and 4. The first two seasons had a few completely ridiculous eliminations. Like, Jeff Jeffries in the round of 16 when he was 1000 times better than the person Adam saved, or Tony Lucca (The worst person in the entire live rounds) beating Katrina Parker even though she got well over half the vote because Adam inexplicably thought he was cool.

The new format makes it so much easier for the best talent to actually make it to the end it's a much better show.

It's just a shame that they don't give the winners any of their A material for their albums. I love these guys on the show but every album I've heard from a contestant is terrible just because of the terrible songwriting.

I think I like Usher and Shakira's coaching performance more than Christina and Cee-Lo but they're not as good at the entertaining banter. At least we don't have to hear the word 'Pitchy' every five minutes anymore.

8. Aragorn

If season 3 had the same format as the first two seasons, I suspect Adam's bromance would've kept Bryan Keith around to the end.

I think he dropped Jeff Jenkins in season 1 so that Javier Colon would have a clear path into the finals. But on the other hand, Jenkins really picked some bad songs to sing after his excellent blind audition.

For the most part, unless the singer has an awesome performance that was completely unexpected, Adam makes his pre-live round selection on who he thinks has the better talent rather than who he thinks actually won that particular round.

9. Spot's Meow

I guess we just don't have similar tastes, because I didn't like Trevin Hunte much and was pleasantly surprised when he was eliminated. Terry McDermott was really the only one in the final 5 or so that I felt like deserved the win, his voice was very beautiful and moving to me. Trevin was another that I felt had kind of a generic voice. Great singer, but just did not hold my attention, same with Cassadee Pope.

But I agree completely about Jermaine Paul. He was truly boring and I couldn't really understand how he won. I gave up on other shows that include "America's vote" a while ago because the results almost never make any sense. They often leave me thinking, "who the hell are these people voting?!?!" This is why I actually don't like the live rounds of The Voice. I still watch just to finish out what I've already started, but really after the Knockout Rounds I don't consider the show nearly as good.

10. intrinsical

You know what? I just found out Amy sang Heartbreaker with Delilah at this year's LA Acapella Festival in Feb. And Adam picks this song for her battle round? lol

11. Aragorn

12. Spot's Meow

By the way, am I the only one who didn't realize that Shakira was pregnant during the blind auditions? It was not noticeable at all! When the battle rounds started and she made that comment about her face looking skinnier now because she had the baby, I was like, "huh?!"

13. intrinsical

I didn't even know she's pregnant until now!

Thanks, she just posted on her personal youtube channel a comment/journal video on her audition and battle performances.

14. Aragorn

They filmed the season 4 blind auditions while season 3 was going on to accommodate Shakira's pregnancy. That's why Blake never touted himself as a two-time winner when trying to get singers to pick him.

15. intrinsical

Which also means Cee Lo and Christina both knew they weren't going to be in the season 4 while they were filming season 3? That sort of explains some of Christina's general disinterest and sharp comments and Cee Lo's repeated comments that he is committed to his family of singers.

16. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd be happy if I never see Christina on this phone again. I sort've wish we could bring Cee Lo back and keep Shakira and Usher. Maybe have Adam host?

17. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I remember when Christina knew she was going to lose her last team member and she said "You know it doesn't matter who won, out of everyone on the Voice Chris Mann has had the most commercial success!"

It is kind of interesting that nobody from the Voice has had any real commercial success yet, when there are tons of major pop successes that came from American Idol. I think it's because the record companies don't give them their best material. They get the Berklee School of Music C students, whereas the big pop stars get the A students.

I hope Christina does come back, because her leaving ruined my drinking game.

PITCHY! *drinks*

18. Aragorn

If you look up articles on Javier Colon, he says that the show did nothing to help promote him after he had won, and he has since departed that label.

But it looks like Cassadee Pope is going to get a major push from her label. And she's also getting a TV show about recording her album.

Regarding Chris Mann, he's one of the many artists on The Voice who had a professional career and a fanbase before appearing on the show. If you look back at the final four of the first three seasons, only one of them was a true amateur (Trevin Hunte). The others were all seasoned vets.

Also, sorry intrinsical. But you had to have had a feeling how it was gonna turn out when they montaged Amy twice.

19. intrinsical

I know, I was hoping out of all hope that a miracle might happen. Adam's right, even I could tell Amy sounded a lot better during that short rehersal clip. And I understand why Adam dropped Amy. He already had 3 powerhouse female singers on his team, Judith, Sarah and Amber. It made sense to pick something different and Caroline offered that, Amy didn't.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  20. Spot's Meow

This wasn't such a great episode. I think that both Midas Whale and Amy Whitcomb should have stayed over their opponents. Not because I liked them better, but because I felt that they genuinely did much better in their performances. I enjoy Caroline's unique voice, but her performance really did not sound good at all. The same with Amber Carrington, I was listening and thinking "wow this sounds terrible, obviously she's going to lose." And then of course Adam picked her...I don't really understand why, she's not all that interesting or unique or that great of a singer. She kind of reminds me of Ann, George Michael's girlfriend on Arrested Development. "You couldn't pick her out of a line-up of one." :lol: