The unofficial Rock Band thread.

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Aragorn, May 30, 2008.

1. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

Aw man. I finally did it! I beat "Won't Get Fooled Again" on Expert Drums! I am sweating and my bass pedal leg is sore, but I did it!

Woot!

2. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

I suck at "Won't Get Fooled Again," How do you play an instrument while constantly taking off and putting on sunglasses while saying bad one-liners? :p

3. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Awesome! I can muddle through the song on medium, but I still love it.

4. Aragorn

Is Rock Band 2 "easier" than Rock Band 1? I unlocked all the songs on RB1 on Mediaum, then when I learned how to play on Hard I went back and am getting my butt kicked by two songs on the second-to-last set.

I'm starting out on Hard for RB2 just going through the songs on first glance and haven't failed any songs. In fact, almost all of them have been four or five stars with a few threes here and there.

5. TheBrew

Well, I use the Hyperspeed option which improves my play dramatically. They might have also loosened up the hit window a bit. No song has given me as much trouble as Green Grass and High Tides on RB1.

6. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

At least on "challenge" mode, all the metal songs are stacked towards the end. I can beat them on hard but I can't even imagine doing them on expert.

Only thing worse than long idiotic solos are just metal songs where you need to masturbate all over the fret board.

7. mrcoaster

mrcoaster Fleet Admiral Admiral

RB2 is easier in some respects, harder in others. I think the top tier stuff is a bit harder myself.

The free stuff isn't great, but there are a few songs there that seemed ok when I checked 'em out. Most of it I don't even want for free. I like most everything on the DLC list for this Tuesday. Siouxsie is a definite win. Can't wait to be playing some AC/DC next week.

Having tried the RB2 drums, I've pretty much decided that I'll just go with the IONs, and pick that up in the next month. I already have the Rock Pedal and it's a huge improvement over the stock pedal.

Since the gf has all but stopped playing RB2 with me these days, I've gone back to doing vocals again (she always does vox when we play together and I play guitar or drum). I'm up at #5 on the Xbox leaderboards for vocals on "Flirtin' With Disaster" (there are three tied for the top spot, and I'm tied with three others after that). Woo-hoo!

Seems like some of the people I play with online are all playing Fable II or Saints Row 2 this week. Until today. Now some of them are playing GH:WT. I have several games stuck in mid-completion thanks to my dedication in playing Rock Band over the other games.

8. firehawk12

For me the biggest hurdle is the lack of a single song mode in the single player career. Sometimes I just want to play a song for fun and it's kind of a pain to do that in career mode because a bad performance means you lose fans.

9. mrcoaster

Well, you can always sing in Quickplay and throw up a set of songs for fun. The scores will still count towards the leaderboards if you have a great run in a song. I've played a ton of the challenges, too, but I have a lot of really long setlists left there (including some of the "infinite" ones. At least you can save part of the way through the set.

On the BWT, I've been doing a mix of things. Playing drums some, playing guitar/bas and singing...whatever I'm best at for the venue/set that I'm working on at the time. I sold out to Hot Topic and lost fans. Of course, I went back to that song and tried to do better later without recalling that it was the Hot Topic set. Didn't mention it until the song was over, then I suddenly lost 700,000+ fans. Bummer!

10. Aragorn

Downloads for the week of Oct. 26:

Siouxsie & the Banshees
    "Hong Kong Garden"
    "Kiss Them for Me"
    "The Killing Jar"

Blink-182 - "Dammit"
    Silversun Pickups - "Well Thought Out Twinkles"
    Silversun Pickups - "Melatonin"
    Psychedelic Furs - "Pretty in Pink"

11. firehawk12

I just feel like I want to get money for my characters as I play. What's even worse is that money you make is tied to a character, not to your account... so even though you can customize your band, you have to play through four characters to get enough money before you can dress up your band.
    They're small things, but it's still fairly annoying.

One thing about fans is that after you hit 1 million, you get a lot very easily if you play on expert. Of course, it's just one of those things where once they hit the crazy hard songs that I have to go down to hard.

12. TheBrew

I just swap out characters when I want to get more money on one. Once I have a look, I am cool with it. I do like how easy it is to swap out characters.

As an aside, does anyone know of a cheap wireless solution for the 360? I had to move my TV into a different room from my router. I know there's the official kit, but I remember hearing somewhere that you can use a generic usb wireless as well.

13. firehawk12

Yeah, you can use a wireless bridge.

And, my problem is that there's the 100k achievement... which I'm going to grind out eventually I suppose. I refuse to do the endless setlist though, which is how some people are getting all the money they need.

14. Aragorn

So if I were a star whore or achievement whore or 100% whore or whatever you want to call it, I'd be pissed that a song set required me to download specific songs.

15. IJD GAF

IJD GAF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I bought the official wireless dongle at Gamestop for somewhere in the 70-80 dollar range, which seemed a tad more reasonable. Didn't feel like fooling around with a wireless bridge, and I had a little birthday money lying around.

16. firehawk12

I'm pretty sure you don't need the DLC to get any of the achievements. You do need people though!
    (Like Fable 2, actually. :p )

17. mrcoaster

You don't need the DLC to get achievements. Though it can be needed for some of the Battle Of the Bands challenges. Which I haven't played recently, since it's hard as hell to beat 3-4 person bands when you're just playing 1-2 people. We should play together and play some of the Battles. I don't have to win them all. Just fun to compete and see how you can do vs your friends and such.

As for the DLC tomorrow, I'm getting all but the "Melatonin" track. That will put me at around 320 total songs in the game. It's definitely nice to have the variety, but it can be tough to perfect a lot of songs when you have that many. There are always a ton more songs to perfect.

Next week's "Presidents Of The USA" DLC will be good, but I wish they'd offered "Kitties" and "Peaches" to the pack. Also, somebody mentioned on the RB Forums that Lita Ford said she had delivered some tracks to RB, so we may see her in the game in the coming months. Cool!

18. Aragorn

Downloads for the week of Nov. 2:

That free 20-pack of songs you've never heard of before.

The Presidents of the United States of America pack
    "Dune Buggy"
    "Feather Pluck'n"
    "Ladybug"

19. mrcoaster

And of course, that AC/DC thingy (not DLC, but once I export it, it will be exactly like DLC).

I'm picking up all three Presidents tracks this week, of course. Still no word on if you can select the 20 free tracks individually. Even if you can't, the question is whether or not you can delete them individually on the 360 - or are they all tied together in the pack so that it's all or nothing. If you can single out certain tracks, then I'll pick out 4-5 of them that sounded ok when I checked 'em out last week. If it's all or nothing, then I'll pass. There are just too many songs I have zero interest in from the free pack.

20. Aragorn

Anyone know how to go about unlocking every single song officially in-game without the cheats in Rock Band 2? In the last game, you just went through the entire list and that was that. But in this game, there's all the bonus setlists and venues and all that stuff.

If I've unlocked every single venue in Tour mode, is that it? What about challenge mode? If I've unlocked every challenge tier, is that it or do I have to play all the setlists?