The unnecessary reboot/remake of the week thread

Rugrats, but it's a gritty live action drama about Grandpa and a heroin addicted Italian prostitute during WW2

Seinfeld . A Dramedy about the soup Nazi marrying a eccentric waitress with two precarious young kids who are always pulling on his heart strings as we see he is a big softy underneath it all. They experience hard times and good times. Usually with a laugh but also sometimes in a deep and serious way.

I think they need to bring back Made in Canada/The Industry as a miniseries. It's one that I've been rewatching of late, a satire about the TV industry. In this miniseries, the production company, Pyramid , would start up a streaming service, commissioning tons of new shows, including revivals of its two most popular shows, Beaver Creek and Sword of Damacles, only to cancel them all and never air them, for the purpose of tax writeoffs.

The CEO would be like, "Yeah, we need more shows to cancel. Quick, come up with more! Running a streaming service is expensive!"

I think they need to bring back Made in Canada/The Industry as a miniseries. It's one that I've been rewatching of late, a satire about the TV industry. In this miniseries, the production company, Pyramid , would start up a streaming service, commissioning tons of new shows, including revivals of its two most popular shows, Beaver Creek and Sword of Damacles, only to cancel them all and never air them, for the purpose of tax writeoffs.

The CEO would be like, "Yeah, we need more shows to cancel. Quick, come up with more! Running a streaming service is expensive!"

One of my favs. CBC actually tweeted me when it was added to Gem because I'd asked them for it years before:lol:. I use the "Hollywood accounting" clip all the time.

Oh, so I get to blame you for being addicted then? ;) It's a great show. On the 4th season now. I'd wanted to see it for a long time.

The episode where they buy the Subtltled Movie Channel has this great bit about cable channels that feels really on the nose.

Channel performs horribly? Oh, doesn't matter as it makes money from being bundled in the 'everything' package.

Last edited:
Oh, so I get to blame you for being addicted then? ;) It's a great show. On the 4th season now. I'd wanted to see it for a long time.

I watched it during the original run and in daily syndication on CBC for a few years. Then when it stopped airing I found the first four seasons... via ulterior methods... since nothing but the first season was available on DVD. I hadn't seen the fifth season since it's first run until it was added to Gem last year.

I know there is a lot of anticipation for this movie on this forum, and a lot of people loved Afterlife, but this new trailer for Frozen Empire is like 90% nostalgia bait and I just get more and more cynical cash in vibes with every piece of marketing I see for it.

I think it looks good. Maybe even better than Afterlife. Nostalgia is not a dirty word if you know how to use it. It really all comes down to whether or not you liked the characters and I liked the new ones that were created in Afterlife. Especially the daughter and Paul Rudd.

I think it looks good. Maybe even better than Afterlife. Nostalgia is not a dirty word if you know how to use it. It really all comes down to whether or not you liked the characters and I liked the new ones that were created in Afterlife. Especially the daughter and Paul Rudd.
I agree and I never understand the complaints around "Oh, it's just trying to make money." Of course it is. That's why people do this!

No, nostalgia is not bad, and making money is not bad if you do it in balance.

I agree and I never understand the complaints around "Oh, it's just trying to make money." Of course it is. That's why people do this!

No, nostalgia is not bad, and making money is not bad if you do it in balance.

That's exactly the point. The scales are obscenely tipped. My nearest multiplex has only regurgitated endless franchises since 2019. It's their norm. Pluck that spit. These last ten years most of my greater favorites have tended to be documentaries, most of which made very little money at all.

Well-done new film experiences shouldn't be regarded as risky poison. So Severely sick of story-less stunt-fests. And that's why most moviegoers dug the first SPEED while puking up the second. I would seriously leave most remakes to Scorsese and George Miller.

Worst of all, I created this thread a few years back out of annoyance, and I long ago realized it will most certainly outlive me. And sadly a lot more of us. Just please spare us any sort of HILL STREET BLUES remake without James Sikking.

Last edited:
Worst of all, I created this thread a few years back out of annoyance, and I long ago realized it will most certainly outlive me. And sadly a lot more of us.

Unless someone comes up with an unnecessary reboot…

Anyway, rather than a double post, I’m editing this one to note that the unlikely pairing of Tim Burton and Gillian Flynn are to remake Attack of the 50 Foot Woman. https://variety.com/2024/film/news/...RaBP2U-H72eCIlZJdjftXEMswRkJ7kzVcb77qkifFjExM

Last edited:
Unless someone comes up with an unnecessary reboot…

Anyway, rather than a double post, I’m editing this one to note that the unlikely pairing of Tim Burton and Gillian Flynn are to remake Attack of the 50 Foot Woman. https://variety.com/2024/film/news/...RaBP2U-H72eCIlZJdjftXEMswRkJ7kzVcb77qkifFjExM

Tim Burton To Direct Gillian Flynn-Scripted Reimagining Of ‘Attack Of The Fifty Foot Woman’ For Warner Bros

https://deadline.com/2024/02/tim-bu...jOs-PA3iLYSvHHjuaqvW46Suy4U8I-AVQaUmNtolQRq0s

Hey, guys, did you hear that Tim Burton is going to direct a remake of Attack of the Fifty-Foot Woman?

(Seriously, does anyone read threads before running in to post something?)

I honestly don't know how that happened. I must have somehow glazed over both of those posts.

Back