The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1 Movie Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Carlise may not be a "vampire doctor" but he's been a vampire for centuries(?). It shouldn't have taken too much thought to think it would crave blood, it was afterall half-vampire!

I did think it was funny an errant thought by Jacob was the solution. I thought they jumped too quickly to her needing human blood. They could have tried animal blood first.

2. JediKnightButler

JediKnightButler Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm not a huge Twilight fan but I thought that the movies have been pretty enjoyable, particularly the last one (which I thought was the best). This first part of BD was a lot of setup (presumably for the next part) and dragged along until Bella discovered she was pregnant and things got tense between the wolves and the Cullens, as well as between Jacob and Edward.

The first part of the movie- starting with Bella's pregnancy- reminded me a little of the Vampire pregnancy storyline from S3 of Angel- there being a mystical Vampire pregnancy that the pregnant character is struggling to take to term because of incompatible physiology and there are a lot of outside players trying to destroy it, take it, or figure out how it happened. I suspect that the second part will probably be more enjoyable/entertaining now that the buildup to the birth has been addressed and Bella's outcome has been....ahem.....determined. I loved the abrupt ending but it was a bit jarring to go from such a serious ending to bouncy alt rock music for the credits.

I haven't read the book so I don't know exactly if they needed two movies to get everything crucial in it but, like with the last HP movie, I was so engaged in the movie by the end that I really think that, given a brief intermission, I could've been able to sit through another 2 hours and finish it- though I understand that having both parts together would make it commercially difficult for movie theaters. I can't believe that we have to wait a whole freakin' year to see the conclusion. *ugh*

3. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    I love Stephen King so much.

4. Trekker4747

My understanding is a lot happens in the second book necessitating two parts. From what I understand:

The head vampires hear of Renessme and seek to destroy the demon spawn. Jacob's imprint on her continues to grow as does she, rapidly, to a teenager. Bella copes with her new "life" as a vampire, Her unique power, and discovers she doesn't have to give up her family. As well learning to hunt as a "vegetarian" vampire and resist the urge to hunt people.

5. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Damn, I totally forgot about the Darla storyline in S3 of Angel. I'm a huge fan of that show. Yeah, vampires can get pregnancy in other fiction. I thought it was weird how some people found that so hard to believe.

The BD book is interesting. It was like the author somehow KNEW her movie was going to be made into two movies, so she had that that part with Bella opening her eyes as the cliffhanger. There is a ton of stuff in the second part of the movie. I don't think it will be too hard for them to make a movie about it at all.

6. Trekker4747

For a touch of entertainment value:

Spoony Vlogs about the movie.... for an hour and twenty minutes. Behind-the-scenes, it seems Spoony has recently broken up with his girlfriend -or whatever status him and his ex had- and he's going through severe depression and is not coping with it well and has turned to some degree to alcohol. So there's a lot of him ranting in this episode and it gets slightly worse as the alcohol takes effect. You can probably skip around a bit when you can see he's getting into a tangent.

FWIW, Spoony does not like these movies so he rails on this one pretty good. Also with him, via internet audio chat (or Skype or something) is Linkara (Atop the Fourth Wall on Channel Awesome, and some other internet b/vlogger I'm not familiar with.)

LINK

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The title of this movie makes me think of when Buffy's sister lost her virginity.

And I doubt I'm the only one.

8. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

What a coincidence. Bella also loses her virginity in this movie.

It was in all the damn trailers.

9. Trekker4747

The movie made $139m over it's opening weekend.

One hundred

Thirty Nine

MILLION!

That's pretty damn obscene amount of money.

It more than paid for itself in the opening weekend.

10. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

This movie made nearly 140 million dollars this weekend, because people in general do not care what sffantasy geeks think is good or bad.

11. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

When a guy in a committed relationship thinks he might like a new movie, he rents it on dvd 6 months later and watches it at 1/4 volume when she's asleep.

When a girl in a committed relationship thinks she might like a new movie, she forces her boyfriend/husband to hold her hand bag while they...

I don't know when it happened, but women rule the world.

Well, the western world.

12. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have real trouble feeling sorry for guys.

13. AliciaD496

AliciaD496 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well I went and saw the movie on a Saturday morning matinee ($6 admission is pretty hard to beat without waiting for a $1 theater, and I'm not sure where one is around here). Anyway...wasn't as crowded as either New Moon or Eclipse was, but the crowd was sizable considering the 9:20 start.

Honestly I think Eclipse was a better movie than this was, it was just filmed better and didn't have much of a lull unlike Breaking Dawn. I think that's part of the problem with splitting it into two parts, if it were all one movie it'd be a complete story, but since it's split it's not. Being a girl I enjoyed the wedding part (her dress WAS gorgeous, as was the wedding itself) but got a little bored with the honeymoon stuff until her discovery. The whole pro-life/pro-choice argument was a bit trite (we all knew which side would win considering the writer and how the book played out) and I didn't remember it being so preachy pro-life in the book, but maybe I misremembered. I'm a little disappointed that I have to wait a year, but supposedly they haven't even begun the post-production on Part 2 yet so I can understand.

I think there IS enough for a second film, and I hope they take their time introducing the 'witnesses' that come to support the Cullens, and Reneesmee's 'power' (which is kinda cool), and the mystery behind Alice's disappearance. The confrontation with the Volturi should make for some good film but honestly it's not much real 'fighting' action.

14. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

The audience that I saw it with on Saturday afternoon was pretty big. I was surprised to see several little kids there. I hoped that it wasn't too intense for them.

I agree that Eclipse had the best director who knew how to shoot horror and the fights. It helped that Eclipse is still my favorite Twilight book/movie. The book was a good blend of romance and action.

I don't know. I always thought the book could've been cut in two parts. The first part was one part in Bella's life while second was something different.

They picked the best place to end this movie with that cliffhanger. There was no any other place to end it.

I thought the first half dragged quite a bit until the second half. Once the discovery happened this movie got super intense.

I was glad that the writer didn't spend too long on that in the movie. I remember the arguments taking way more space in the book. Bella made her choice about what to do about the baby and the movie moved on from there. There really wasn't any question about not going through with it.

I think spacing the two movies out over a year is a smart thing. They'll have more time to make a better movie. Waiting a while doesn't really bother me. All the books are already out, so we all know what happens in them already.

They certainly have much more time to develop the new characters. I heard they are going to add a few more scenes to the movie like making the ending more exciting. It will be like the new honeymoon scenes in BD1, things not in the books that were added to make the movies better.

15. Bob Karo

Bob Karo Captain Captain

Charlie and The 'Stache under utilized?

I say boycott!

16. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Billy Burke is really great as Charlie. The guy is so funny.

17. Trekker4747

But afterwards in the second scenario the guy is likely to get sex, so....

---

Charlie The 'Stache is used all he needs to be his "Dad who is a cop with a gun" FotB speech was worth the price of admission. Man I wish I could grow and maintain and awesome 'stache like him!

I don't see how this movie or what happens with the pregnancy could make for any reasonable abortion argument. The fetus was clearly presenting itself as a very clear-cut risk to Bella's life should she carry it to term. I would suspect that even the most hard-core Pro-Life person would think that it's reasonable to terminate a pregnancy if the pregnancy is so hard on the mother she becomes death ill with a slowed heartbeat and an Ethiopian-like body.

18. CommanderRaytas

Say it isn't so.

19. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

:lol: Never under estimate the buying power of 16-25 year old teenage girls and their urge to see a pretty face and body on screen that combines a tragegy, a horror flick with a love story. Hello - everyone I'm sure remembers Titanic.

Twilight is Titanic with vampires and wolves added in for good meassure.

As someone said uptread, the marriage sequence was way to long. And their time on the island was slow IMO as well.

20. CommanderRaytas

I was 14 when Titanic came out. I admit that I loved it! But that was before I ever fell in love with anyone real...and, of course, two years before I had my first serious relationship.

Titanic gets me nostalgic to this day, but I know how corny it is.

I guess many of the girls who are screeching other people's brains out of their skulls will feel the same way in a few years.