The Twelfth Doctor's personality

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Joe Washington, Dec 29, 2013.

1. The Doctor

The Doctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Also, the flesh two-parter, where he manipulates the ever-living-fuck out of Amy.

Smith's Doctor was typified by a superficial lightness and absent-mindedness that concealed a pretty nasty character.

2. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

Good lord, what would the Doctor have to be depressed about now? The Time Lords are alive and safe in a pocket universe (or whatever), he's just been granted a new lease on life, and he has a companion to keep him grounded and allow him to see the wonders of the universe through her eyes. What in the bloody hell would he be depressed about?

If you want a dark Doctor, go watch the Ninth's episodes again. They're good, and available on DVD and Netflix.

3. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

"You're the Doctor?"

*Doctor nods*

"Doctor who?"

"You're god damned right."

And then he sonics everyone to death and melts them.

4. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Matt Smith regeenrated into Peter Capaldi not Samuel L. Jackson. :techman:

5. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

how about a robot companion, like K-9 or Kamelion? It's been a while since we've gotten one, and the Cyberman head in TTOTD was pretty good.

6. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I beg to differ. Ian, Steven, Jamie, The Brigadier, Turlough, Mickey, Jack, Wilfred, and Rory were all excellent male companions. Your mileage may vary, but most fans consider those (the main exception being Turlough, I suppose) to be great companions.

7. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Harry. How could you neglect good ol' Harry Sullivan? I don't care if Tom's Doctor declared him an imbecile. If it weren't for his steady hand building a shale "platform" for that landmine on Skaro, the Doctor would have, at best, found himself regenerating far, far sooner than he expected!

Besides, he was such an affable chap, the type for whom you'd buy a pint at the corner pub, and he, inturn, would nod doubt do the same. Shoot, Marter and Baker became good friends in real life away from the set.

Sincerely,

Bill

8. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I'm actually making my way through the Fourth Doctor's run right now, and I agree with you about Harry, Redfern. I was disappointed when I found out that he leaves the Doctor's side after this first set of episodes.

I'd also venture to say that Rory is arguably the best companion in the new series, though of course YMMV.

9. sonak

Turlough, as a concept, was a great one. A companion that actually came on board to betray and kill the doctor? Awesome idea and executed well throughout the Black Guardian arc.

And then after his eventual change of heart and redemption they just sort of ran out of things to do with him.

10. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Damn. How could I forget Harry? I knew I would forget someone. Absolutely another great male companion.

As for Turlough, I've always liked him even if much wasn't done with his character after the Black Guardian trilogy. He has gotten a lot of great stories in the last few years in the Big Finish audio plays with The Fifth Doctor, Nyssa and Tegan.

11. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

More like the third doctor perhaps?

12. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I couldn't even begin to tell you. I have only seen nuWho.

13. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd be on board for that.

14. comsol

comsol That Guy Premium Member

Count me in as well.

15. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I'm glad you don't write Doctor Who. I watch the show because it's light hearted and optimistic. I get enough dark and depressing in real life.

16. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

If what we get is something similar to the third Doctor but with a stronger actor than Jon Pertwee to portray the character, it's something I'd love to see.

17. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd fucking hate it - an establishment lackey would be completely out of touch with the mood.

18. sonak

wow, that's harsh:eek:

19. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I actually like the Third Doctor within the context of his era but that type of character doesn't make much sense in 2014 given the changed relationship between the state and individuals.

20. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For some time I got the feeling Pertwee's Doctor cooperated as much as he did with UNIT in the hopes he's gain access to resources that might help him "jump start" his TARDIS and leave this bloody rock. On his own accord, yeah, he likes Earth and its peoples and will do what he can to defend it. But metaphorically, the TimeLords dropped him upon a deserted island without a boat to leave and that gnawed at his gut. By the time the TimeLords restored his knowledge to operate the TARDIS, he had made several friends and tended to stick around. But from the point of his exile until his pardon, he was, to a certain extent, just playing along until he could, in effect, steal the guard's key and escape. After all, he constantly butted heads with the Brigadier and was furious when UNIT destroyed the Silurian base after he had negotiated a truce.

So I wouldn't consider him a "lackey", well, not a willing one, anyway.

Sincerely,

Bill