The totally dope/metal Kevin Smith Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Kai "the spy", Jul 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

This has already been poster by @Reverend in the He-Man thread, but it also belongs in here:

2. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I'd love to bounce ideas off him.

3. Kai "the spy"

This week's Classic BabbleVision (#36):

I wonder how long these two great men promoted that ManGrate. Okay, yeah, I better file that one.

And here's the Fatman Beyond from Tuesday night, very quick this time:

Btw, anybody seen "Madness in the Method", yet?

4. Kai "the spy"

Since I forgot to last week, here now two free episodes of the Ralph Report:

5. Kai "the spy"

Last week had no "new" BabbleVision, and no free Ralph Report, either (the latter because Ralph had the week off). But today, there's another ClassicBabble ...

... and a new free RR:

Well, so much for me getting to bed early.

6. Kai "the spy"

And an actually new episode of Hollywood Babble-On:

Last new one for a while, though, as Kev is taking Reboot on tour. That's gonna affect Fatman Beyond, as well, isn't it?

7. Kai "the spy"

8. Kai "the spy"

Free Ralph:

9. Kai "the spy"

And as I wasn't even expecting it anymore, last week's Fatman Beyond:

10. Kai "the spy"

Finally got a chance to watch "Madness in the Method". It's a fun watch, and Mewes did a pretty good job both as lead actor and director. Black comedy, but really for the Smith-adjecent fan circles.

11. Kai "the spy"

Jason Mewes was a presenter at the Saturn Awards, and apparently brought a clip from Reboot. That clip is now on Kev's YT channel:

Also, Classic-Babble is back with #41:

12. Kai "the spy"

13. Kai "the spy"

Turtletrekker likes this.
  14. Kai "the spy"

Well, this video uploaded on Kev's YouTube channel earlier today comes unexpected:

It's welcome. Just unexpected.

15. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

You know, I really like Kevin Smith's stuff in general, I love watching Fatman Beyond and I'm excited for things like the He-Man reboot, but after seeing that clip and hearing a few things I'm starting to think that Jay & Silent Bob Reboot might be disappointing for me. Back in the day, the first Jay & Silent Bob movie was a movie about a pair of stoners, but the film itself wasn't necessarily for stoners. It wasn't a "stoner comedy" like, say, those Harold & Kumar films are, it was just another Kevin Smith universe film were the main characters just happened to be into marijuana. I enjoyed it a lot, just like I enjoy most of those movies (except Chasing Amy, which I never liked).

But this one is looking like its not going to be a old Smith style film, it looks like its a "You will only enjoy this if you like pot" film. As someone who has never done drugs and once had to suffer through having to watch Pineapple Express, I really fucking hate movies made for stoners. I hope I'm wrong and most of the film is like the first Jay & Silent Bob where the pot stuff was just a side thing and wasn't the focus of the movie, but right now I can see the movie going either way. As someone who hates Tusk and Yoga Hosers (two movies definitely made to only be enjoyed by people who are not sober), I am curious if Smith can still make good movies after becoming a huge pothead, or if he's permanently stuck in that mode.

To be clear, while I don't do that stuff, I'm not against it (I voted to legalize in Washington State, even though I'll never use it myself). I just don't find humor made specifically for stoners to be funny, so I'm hoping thats not the style of J&SB Reboot, and that it ends up being more like the first movie, which is probably my third favorite Kevin Smith movie (after Dogma and Clerks 2).

16. Kai "the spy"

While I agree that the clip isn't really funny, it is also a clip of a movie in the movie that is probably supposed to be really bad, with the joke being that Jay loves it. The clip was presented at the Saturn Awards, where Melissa Benoist and the Supergirl series were nominated (and Supergirl actually won), so that clip was probably chosen based on Benoist being in it.

I'd also like to add that I'm far from being a stoner, but I enjoyed both Tusk and Yoga Hosers a lot.

17. Kai "the spy"

Kevin has posted the "final poster" for Reboot on his Instagram, featuring "almost our entire cast".

The movie actually hasn't a German release date, yet. I sure hope it does get released theatrically in Germany. Red State, Tusk and Yoga Hosers were only shown at Film Festivals with a subsequent home video release. On the other hand, Jay & Silent Bob Strikes Back was a big hit in Germany, though the music video to Afroman's Because I Got High was even bigger (they actually advertised the movie with the tagline "The Movie with the Funny Dudes from the Afroman-Clip"), so there might be some bigger interest in this movie.

18. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

That's what i was hoping.. we lack context because on its own this was bad (and not the kind of so bad that its actually good again). So far Smith has not disappointed me and i hope he doesn't with this one but this clip was just crap.

19. Kai "the spy"

Fatman Beyond from last week's Tuesday, guest-starring the Master of Make-Up himself, Rick Baker:

20. Kai "the spy"

Two new uploads today. First, Kev & Mewes doing their own "parody" of a popular YouTube format:

And also, another free edition of the Ralph Report:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.