The top 10 Trek movies by ticket sales!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, May 31, 2020.

1. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I think they did a good job melding the story and FX, and it led to the best franchise box office. I had wished for years to see bigger scale Trek films and finally the Kelvin films answered the call.

Would a mid-sized, $110-120 million budget film help the profit ratio? Sure.

RAMA

Smellmet likes this.
  2. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

TMP ran in some places for over eight months. Many fans went over and over again.

I bet a lot of people didn't want to watch Spock die over and over. I knew quite a few who watched it only once.

Vger23 likes this.
  3. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

That's a good point, people probably found it way too sad and upsetting before SFS came out

Therin of Andor likes this.
  4. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

Our family couldnt get in the door to see TMP, the lines were so long, so we went to see The Black Hole instead. Went to see TMP later. Think I fell asleep in the theater.

5. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

B7 and DW both had producers saying they wanted to do bigger effects, but still made stories that needed big effects. TOS, which had a budget back in the day, still suffered with limited available technology for the cost. That's why those old stories could get new effects and still be engaging. Or in some cases, given new effects that go so over the top it's now laughable no matter how photorealistic. TOS-R did it right...

Visual storytelling has a place and point but having some meat to the story and actors to help sell it since it's way too easy to watch something and go "This is such a nonstory that they need the loud music and gratuitous visual effects to sell it?"

6. AmbreP

AmbreP Lieutenant Red Shirt

Agreed.

The new movies, including non-trek are relying on the new digital effects, even when practical would be better and cheaper to film as well as kinder for the actors. I love visuals, but you need story or its just hollow expensive nonsense. I really wonder if the big studios are like business (and publishing) where only opening sales really count and over time sales are meaningless even if you make more money over time with better product. I remember reading somewhere that firefly over time has been the biggest return in investment because its the most commonly owned franchise by science ficton fans.Then they also do not count oveseas sales just north america, so when counting oversea the kelve stories even adjusted for inflation are 3 of the 4 top makes of profit for the entire franchise....

But remember while the studio has cancelled the movie proposals we know about.....they officially reserved (payed for) space in theaters for and unnamed star trek movie 2022, with only the kelvin timeline reviewing scripts.

Edited to repair broken quote tag & improve readability - M'

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2020
  7. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

I agree that the long gap between Star Trek XI and STID really hurt the momentum of the new movies. I also agree that ST: Beyond had a baffling marketing strategy. It should have been a big deal with the 50th anniversary involved, but I don’t remember seeing much attention given to the release. It was a disappointing drop off in box office performance.

Smellmet and Lord Garth like this.
  8. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

It wasn't just the marketing, it was the release date, right in the middle of blockbuster season.

9. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And it was a remarkably bad year, even for the blockbusters.

Smellmet likes this.
  10. ChallengerHK

ChallengerHK Captain Captain

Speaking from the past :-) I can say that when TMP appeared there was tremendous pent-up demand. Fans had been waiting for ten years for new Trek. (As much as I personally enjoy TAS, and as much as I don't think it deserves the "kiddie show" reputation that is heaped on it, it was hard to tell a meaningful story in 22 minutes.) Coupled with the fact that TMP was heavily hyped, and the surrounding "big sf" that had appeared (Star Wars, Close Encounters, etc.), people were literally waiting in line TMP.

When TWOK hit...let's just say that TMP was a disappointment to huge numbers of the fan base. Whether or not it was objectively "good" (and whatever that means), fans' expectations had been for character stories like the original series. Reams of fanzines did not tell stories about special effects or humanity-dwarfing machines; they told stories about the relationships between the crew, very often without any galactic-scale threat at all. For many reasons, TMP was not that. Many fans were not motivated to see TWOK in light of what had been done with TMP. I myself had to talk two friends into seeing the film, and these friends were fans for about a decade and frequent convention goers. TMP had just turned them off to Trek. Once they saw TWOK, they were delighted with it.

11. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

I also think "repeat viewing" factored into TMP's success. As you said, the film may have been a shock to the system of some Trek fans, but I think there were also many who went to see that first film multiple times due to the decade-long wait. When TWOK premiered, there were other sci-fi/fantasy options at the box office (ET, Firefox, Poltergeist, Blade Runner, Secret of NIHM, etc) that movie goers were probably interested in spending their money on.

ChallengerHK likes this.
  12. ChallengerHK

ChallengerHK Captain Captain

I concur, especially with the last part. There had been a lot of sf/f films up to 1982, and then 82 itself was a banner year. For the casual fan there was a lot of competition to TWOK.

Therin of Andor and Vger23 like this.
  13. AmbreP

I agree too. That appears to be a golden time for for SF movies. The closest thing I see to the trek phenomenon on TV right now is supernatural, and with how they ended the series I cant see how they could transition to movies or further Tv shows like ST did. If you want to be scared look up convention pricing for supernatural, and you will see the money is in conventions not the actual entertainment. I really hop this isn't the future for all SF or we will be going to a really dark period for SF and all entertainment. I saw a documentary about the spanish flu epidemic in the early 1900s and how it created Hollywood and modern entertainment, and I am now even more concerned that covid/corona will be the start of the death knell for Tv and movies. Since most rural people like me only have wifi and no possibility of fiber line connection without USA government mandate in the USA, anyone outside of a city is not going to participate at all in new media viewership/ streaming services will also reduce the markets and margins.

I am a frequent reviewer of my favorite franchises, all but one is SF (and its a paranormal Sf genre.....ok supernatural tv show) and the companies that service rural areas are breaking all the contract, between all the people using bandwidth as well as teh change to 5K. My own are went from 7 services (all wifi even if only 100ft from a T! and T3 fiber lines) down to 3 which are At&t wifi, and 2 companies that contracted from them. At&t announces two weeks ago they are breaking all the contracts, and changing the data rates from $45 for .30G @70-130 MbpS to either $85 for 7G @60-70MbPs or $100 for 50G @2MbPs which makes streaming impossible, starting Dec1st. With movies moving to streaming only, this is going to cut out huge portions of the market...because yes SF fans also live in rural areas, limiting viewership and the markets and thereby funding even more in a time where home viewership is skyrocketing as people will become more desperate for distraction and entertainment. Its going to take movies a lot longer (maybe a year or more) to ramp up production again after covid becomes manageable with vaccination. so box office and viewership will drop so studios will shift into other, shall we say other cheaper genre to produce.

14. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

1979 was THE year for space movies. Moonraker, ALIEN, etc.

1979-1982 was the heyday of SF/ Space Opera films.

By the mid-80s, there was a different feel what with Terminator, Back To The Future, etc. Fantasy rose.

In some respects, there was a certain falling away in 1983, with ROTJ.

TWOK was an example of the perfect storm...a clash of cultures. Star Wars pushed effects...Horror was big, and with THE THING and ALIEN, space was no longer safe.

Everything came together perfectly

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    Smellmet and Khan 2.0 like this.
  15. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

Yes you are right in 77 -SW & CE3K and then the immediate aftermath with studios tripping over themselves to do space set SF which all came to a head in 79 (Disney/Black Hole, Fox/Alien, Paramount/TMP, UA/Moonraker) and continued into 80-82 (ESB, Superman II, Flash, Battle Beyond Stars, Saturn 3, Outland, TWOK, ET) with some of that dark horror stuff influenced by Alien & Body Snatchers like The Thing and even creeping into Star Trek II (and there was dark horroresque dystopian earth based scifi going on with Blade Runner, Escape from NY, Mad Max etc and a sub 'sword & sorcery' genre attempts at a 'star wars on land' Hawk the Slayer, Clash of Titans, Conan, Beastmaster, Krull). then once SW finished in 83 it seemed it was more real world earth based action fantasy type scifi Ghostbusters, Gremlins, Superman III (no space stuff), Temple of Doom, Thunderdome, BTTF, Terminator, Predator, Robocop (with pretty much just Star Trek, 2010, and Aliens continuing with the space scifi) up until 89 with was like a crescendo of al things 80s SF/Fantasy (Indy, Batman, Star Trek, Bond, GB, BTTF)

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    publiusr, AmbreP and Smellmet like this.
  16. AmbreP

They has so much less money , and smaller budgets even allowing for inflation....where did it all go? I know I'm biased as a second gen fan, but I just dont get it with the popularity of SciFi/fantasy in general as well as the rise of gamers (lots of sf fans there). as well as increasing amounts of female fans and the acceptance if not glorification of the "nerd" in pop culture, did it kill the run of SF? Its very confusing and an intriguing oddity, even if I wasn't a fan.

17. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Well, in 1979, the year 2001 was still the future. A goal ever since A Space Odyssey.

But we got 9/11 instead

18. AmbreP

And communicators/cell phones/pocket mini computers. I still prefer my laptop bu I trained in computer graphics/animation. As long as we don't get a eugenics war its all good.

19. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Financially, in terms of gross earnings, Star Trek IV was the most successful of the pre-Abrams films, being the only one to gross over $100 million in theaters. When adjusted for inflation, Star Trek IV's $109 million becomes $260 Million, making it the second highest earning Star Trek film, behind only Star Trek '09 ($257M, adjusted to $312M), and ahead of Into Darkness ($228M, adj. $255M) and Beyond ($158M, adj. $172M).

Star Trek IV released in 1956 theaters, less than all films except for Star Treks I (1002) and II (1621). The Kelvin films all released in about 4000 theaters, with '09 topping the charts at 4053. If you average out the lifetime gross with the max number of theaters, Star Trek IV earned $56,091 per theater, behind Star Trek I ($82,094), '09 ($63,590) and Into Darkness ($58,556). Adjusting for inflation, Star Trek IV earns about $133,180 per theater, far outpacing even Star Trek '09 at $77,133... but far behind the all-time best average per theater (adjusted for inflation), which is Star Trek: The Motion Picture at $294,260.

The average ticket price in 1986 was $3.71 (adj. $8.81), less than the $7.50 (adj. $9.10) from 2009 and $7.93 (adj. $9.17) from 2011 and $8.65 (adj. $9.38) from 2016. Ticket prices in 1979 were $2.52 (adj. $9.03), so it's not like there was a major upcharge in ticket prices between 1979 and 1986. People were paying less in 1986 (adjusted for inflation) than they ever did before or since.

Smellmet and ChallengerHK like this.
  20. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

The Black Hole seemed to get uniformly bad reviews while Star Trek had the advantage of an enthusiastic built-in audience and that the critics were split- many panned it but many applauded it.
    Completely agree with those who think that the Kelvin films were spaced too far apart, a fact that I believe led to what seems to be their demise. I found it frustrating that Paramount would seem to wait until right on the edge of the "attention span" before bringing another one out. They really needed to strike while the iron was hot when the '09 film hit it big. I think Beyond especially suffered from too long a wait (and atrocious marketing that tried to make it look like a "cool rocker flick")

Smellmet likes this.