News The Thirteenth Doctor comic starts this autumn

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by The Nth Doctor, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't have an opinion on the ninth Doctor comics. I've dutifully collected them, but I haven't read them, as Nine (and that era) isn't a particular favorite of mine. I started to read the first mini-series, then it went on hiatus for months, and I never picked it up again to read it. I always thought I'd get around to it, and I didn't. The mini-series and the ongoing series are sitting, unloved, in my longboxes. I did read his chapter of The Lost Dimension, though, and that was fine.

"Abhorent" is a rather strong word. :)

I liked Four Doctors a lot, right up until issue #5, when I thought it went completely off the rails. Oh, I get what Cornell was doing -- he ended the story with a giant Moffat pastiche (rapid-fire storytelling, timey-wimey nonsense, unearned feel-good ending) -- and he did it in such a way that he pushed a giant reset button on the entire story (so issues #1-4 were rendered pointless), and then had everyone forget about it at the end for good measure. And what Cornell did had implications for other stories, too -- if Cornell's interpretation of what happens in multi-Doctor events is correct, then does Eleven remember "The Day of the Doctor," does Five remember "The Five Doctors"? Coming on the heels of Tenth Doctor Year One and Eleventh Doctor Year One, both of which told interesting, meaninful stories, it was disappointing that Four Doctors, which started off important, made itself meaningless at the end.

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Cool story, bro. Changed my life.

Ovation, Gov Kodos and TheAlmanac like this.
  3. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I had a real hard time reading it. Sure, its not as bad as Frank Miller's output post-Robocop, but its still poor. And I expected better from Cornell.

While you are right about the reset button in issue #5, my main problem with it was that Cornell seemingly didn't get Capaldi's Doctor. I just never could never hear his voice, and thus I never found his portrayal as authentic, and thus, never found the whole alternate Twelfth Doctor scenario at all convincing.

4. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I can see where you're coming from. Cornell's twelfth Doctor is... well, I don't want to say "Malcolm Tucker in Space," but Cornell plays up the asshole in the Doctor, and that's true to the way Capaldi's played the role (or, rather, the way the role was written) in Series 8. When the tenth and twelfth Doctors meet again (in Tenth Doctor Year Three and The Lost Dimension), they have a much better relationship than the way Cornell portrays it.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  5. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Early series 8. And even then, he was still fundamentally kind, like he was in Into the Dalek, when he trying to reach the Dalek, which arguably Doctors 7-10 never would (yes, even the hopeful 8!). It may have helped that Capaldi portrayed him with many different layers, enriching the text in ways Smith didn't have (as I always suspected Moffat wrote better for 11 than 12) and improving on the behaviour. Cornell's 12 seems like a bitter version of the Warrior, except he's the Doctor, and that's unacceptable.

I certainly loved the Doctor interactions in Lost Dimension. The panel with 9, 10 and 12 trying to steer that ship is wonderfully poignant. And the lovely page where 5 bumps into Jenny is also awesome, a lovely wink at real life, lol. They were all written fairly well in that crossover, the Doctors.

I certainly look forward for the rest of them. I'll let you know.

6. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    One comic book with a women's team is the thin edge of the wedge that will make men 2nd class?

Who knew the fate of men in the modern Western world was so precarious?

7. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I wonder of Thirteen will be included in the next big annual multi-Doctor crossover special?