Spoilers The thing in bay 12

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by NCC-73515, Apr 13, 2023.

1. ICW

ICW Commander Red Shirt

It rules and I could not imagine being remotely upset, disappointed, and/or let down.

2. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Can this lengthy exchange about replication be continued via PM or in a different thread please?

I just want to drool over the Enterprise-D.

3. KirkusOveractus

KirkusOveractus Commodore Commodore

I've been scrolling completely past those very long posts. Been a long time since I've felt the love I have for the 1701-D and those are dampening it, so I just scroll very quickly past those.

4. El Maestro

El Maestro Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

DISTRACTING NOSTALGIA :p

Tomalak likes this.
  5. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

@Deks , can we take the walls of text to the Trek Tech forum, where they might be better appreciated?

6. A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I love seeing the D again. I have to happily check my brain at the door.

Why take the D when the Defiant, a much smaller ship when you've only got 7 people to man it, with better armor/weapons, and designed specifically to fight the borg, is right there? Are they saying that all the other fleet museum ships are also tied in? That just seems odd.

And the idea of taking any ship meant for 1000 people into battle with a crew of less than a dozen seems hopeless. I always imagine that during the series, when the ship is engaged in a battle, there is an army of engineers manning consoles, rerouting power, and running around doing damage control... and to go in without any of that available, you've got about 15 minutes to live.

But awesome feel good moment nonetheless.

7. KirkusOveractus

The 1701-D seems to be the only starship there that would be ready to do what was needed in the time allowed. Defiant is on display, and may not even have her weapons armed if installed at all. As with now, anything mechanical on display in a museum would need time to prep and get completely ready for full operation.

SpocksOddSocks likes this.
  8. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So, The starfleet museum has an armory?

9. Racefuel

Racefuel Commodore Commodore

Presumably for self defensive means plus from decommissioned ships

10. Deks

Deks Vice Admiral Admiral

If you wish, you're welcome to do so, but I said what I wanted to say on the subject matter, so I don't think I'll necessarily continue the discussion on that since it was already covered in some other past topics here and there.

It has replicators doesn't it? Or some form of manufacturing technology similar to replication to support the people living there along with the ships.
    As such, I don't see a reason as to why most ships in the Fleet Museum wouldn't have operational weapons as they'd probably be restored to their default state.

The ENT-D weapons were said to be online but limited... so it has them, and Geordi used the drones to load the torpedoes into the ship... so the Fleet Museum appears to have an armory... or at least space which is dedicated for torpedoes that are either fabricated or replicated. So Geordi could have taken 260 torpedoes - which the station wouldn't necessarily miss because I would imagine that much like DS9, it would have thousands of them (DS9 was much smaller and got 5000 Photon torpedoes installed by the time SF integrated all their weapons and technology into the outpost and turned it into a proper starbase)... so something the size of a spacedock may have something like 10 000 to 50 000 torpedoes (the thing is rather massive and wouldn't have a problem storing all of that), and taking 260 of them for the ENT-D wouldn't really even be felt.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2023
  11. A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

Possibly on the subject of the Defiant, but
    That also means that the D's phaser arrays have been left fully functional for 20 years or at some point Geordi decided to fix them and leave them fully functional. It also would imply that the Syracuse star drive "just got there" more or less. The latter I can buy, the former not so much. Why would Geordi ever think he'd need to get her ready to shoot without knowing in advance of a situation like this? But, now I'm just diving too deep. ...

12. KirkusOveractus

The same way a person restoring a car in their garage on their free time would do. They wouldn't restore it all except for the windshield wipers or headlights. He had a hobby and that was to work a little at a time on restoring the 1701-D to complete operating condition.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  13. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, a giant space station will have photon torpedoes to defend itself from raiders trying to steal the valuable antiquities contained within.

As for phasers, why would Geordi go to the trouble of deactivating them? Must be easier to leave all the equipment intact, so as long as there is energy to power them, they work fine.

14. anh165

anh165 Commander Red Shirt

Story telling wise, you would lose the poetic aspect of the senior TNG crew back on board their own ship...

You are making the assumption that the TNG crew's main objective is merely going toe-to-toe with the enemy. If you take into the account they are up against the Borg, then Picard & Co are at significant tactical disadvantage whether they take the Enterprise or the Defiant.

In addition, I don't re-call any reference on screen that the Defiant on her own has greater combat efficacy than the Enterprise D. What is important is the familiarity and knowledge the TNG crew possess with helming the Enterprise, plus her versitility and comprehensive scientific capabilities will play a crucial factor in combating the threat of the Borg ... I am 99.9% certain that the solution to strike-down the Borg in Episode 10 does not lie in blasting the cube with phasers and torpedoes.

KirkusOveractus likes this.
  15. Magistos

Magistos Commander Red Shirt

Adding to that - it is the old Space Dock, emphasis "Dock". It would have had full capabilities to refurbish and replenish ships in its day, so while it is now a museum (and a display itself, likely) and probably focuses on the refurbishment aspect mostly, replenishment of ships' stores comes with the territory.

Going full head canon here, it is probably not even out of the realm of possibility that it is listed/used as a port of emergency call, able to help ships in distress or in battle when needed considering its former capabilities.

Tomalak likes this.
  16. Racefuel

My guess is taking out the transmitters and then getting aboard to try and get Jack to take down the Borg from the inside out, like Locutus but Locutus Jr

17. A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

Perhaps I misinterpreted what Geordi was doing. I had thought he was performing an off-the-books restoration with the purpose of adding her eventually to the museum. He was doing it in secret because he had wanted to surprise the old crew with a sentimental unveiling at some point. To continue the car analogy, if I'm restoring a car because I want to drive it, that's one thing. If my goal is to keep it in a museum, I'm not keeping fluids in the engine that are going to just create a big mess someday if i dont ever plan to turn the key. Evidently, thars the condition Defiant is now in. So it all comes down to purpose, and I just got it wrong.

18. Racefuel

The implication is that Geordi was doing the restoration on the low and only those who needed to know did know

19. Unimatrix Q

Unimatrix Q Commodore Commodore

In case the Ent-D doesn't get destroyed again and stays in service, it will be awkward to have two or three Enterprises around at the same time :lol:

Actually would love to see this happen, although it would have been the fanwankiest (is this a word?) thing you could do.

20. Deks

Deks Vice Admiral Admiral

This would imply that only Geordi, his wife and Alandra knew. Given his estranged relationship with Sidney, its unlikely she would have known.

However, the spacedock fleet museum is MASSIVE. It can hold tens of thousands of people at any given time. Its very unlikely Geordi and his immediate family would have been the only one on the station, let alone, the only ones who knew about the ENT-D. Someone else who lived on the station would have noticed the saucer and the stardrive being towed into Docking Bay 12 - but in all likelyhood decided to keep it to themselves.

Well, the ENT-F could be destroyed while the D might not be. In which case, SF could decide to fully restore the ENT-D, give it needed/modern upgrades (minus the connection to the fleet) and reset the line of ship to the D.
    Or its possible both would survive and both would be in active service.

I don't see why not.
    Just because its been turned into a Fleet Museum, doesn't mean it cannot act as a manufacturing, repair and maintenance facility for ships in active service at the same time because it would likely have all the modern technology installed inside anyway... assuming SF kept it updated - or at least I think Geordi as an engineer might have insisted on that.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2023