The Terry Matalas as Star Trek Showrunner Petition

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by TerryTrek, Mar 11, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

And this is why we can't have nice things.

I don't agree with this petition but I welcome those to try to get the Trek they want made.

Heaven forbid I like Tilly though...:rolleyes:

2. HotRod

HotRod Commodore Commodore

You can dislike a character without being an asshole about it.

3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Might as well sign one to give the “Snyderverse” to Netflix, for all the good it will do.
    More about the dismissive attitude, than the number of Tilly fans. Most characters have fans. Even the ones I don’t care for. No need to put them or the character down. Not really in keeping with the alleged ideas Trek promotes.

Ovation and fireproof78 like this.
  4. TerryTrek

TerryTrek Captain Captain

Consider taking that advice when making posts about the 'cult of Lord Terry' the chosen one.

5. TerryTrek

Yeah I've seen enough dismissive, smug and condescending posts in this thread (for example) from many of the regulars (in regards to fans of Pic S3) that are not 'keeping with the alleged ideas Trek promotes.'

So NBD. They just don't like it when something they like is made fun of, or their own 'fanbase' made light of. Regardless, the reactions to this Tilly show announcement should be entertaining.

I'm happy those few fans are getting something that they want.

cal888 likes this.
  6. Bea Jonas

Bea Jonas Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Frankly, I think there are currently too many Trek series on the air—quantity doesn't ensure quality, and sometimes less is more. Right now, about the only show I'm really looking forward to is the 2nd season of Strange New Worlds.

7. fireproof78

Pretty sure Tilly is fictional and Terry is a real person...

...unless...:shifty:

;)

8. Ray Hardgrit

Ray Hardgrit Commodore Commodore

Trouble is everyone has a different favourite. Personally they could cancel SNW right now and I wouldn't give a damn as long as I still got my Lower Decks.

jos3s likes this.
  9. TerryTrek

Which makes it even weirder when those few fans get so upset when the character is insulted.

Thanks for explaining the difference between real and fictional individuals to us. What a revelation.

10. HotRod

HotRod Commodore Commodore

Lord Terry is actually t3rryb0t, an AI created by Paramount to give Trek fans exactly what they want, based solely on comments taken from social media.

11. fireproof78

Right. No one has ever been upset because a fictional character has been insulted, disrespected, or poorly portrayed...

Except, things like Picard, or Discovery or Strange New Worlds were the Trek writers show disrespectful attitudes towards these characters.

:shrug:

Ovation, HotRod and Campe like this.
  12. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

Look, I think there are people out there who generally enjoy this season and that’s great. I’ve genuinely enjoyed it until the last two episodes and hope it can pull it together in the final three.

I think there are people who generally like Terry Matalas. Also great. Got no problem with him personally or as a writer. He’s a little too fanservicy for me but I’ll get over it.

But I think there are those who take their appreciation for him and this season a little too far. Just like we all can take things we enjoy a little too far some days. I’ve made jokes about some fans deifying him and maybe that’s not okay. Also, sometimes maybe the truth hurts. Maybe the same can be said about some people identifying with Tilly. Maybe at the end of the day we should just live and let live.

On another note, I’ve not had the opportunity to watch Twelve Monkeys but I’m curious. I have no idea where I can watch it and don’t have the time to really watch it at the moment anyway. But someday… maybe.

fireproof78 and HotRod like this.
  13. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

I highly recommend 12 MONKEYS. Really character focused, and despite the fact I loathe time travel stories because they rarely get tied up neatly, I definitely love this show.

(You can ignore the movie... I love the movie, but the series is superior.)

Nerys Myk and cal888 like this.
  14. TerryTrek

We weren't talking about writing or portrayals. Writers, showrunners, for any media are well-deserving of criticism. It's part of their job.

People taking this stuff way too personally is something else.

It's amusing nevertheless.

Especially when some feel the need to make light of what they don't personally agree with, and then get hurt feelings when what they like is mocked. It's funny.

I've seen a few posters do that kind of thing quite often.

I appreciate that you recognize the hypocrisy.

The jokes are all fine. It just gets silly when the ones making them can't take the heat when the situation is reversed.

OT: I'm sure Terry would find the deifying jokes hilarious.

15. fireproof78

Indeed, indeed.
    I make light of everything, whether I agree with it or not.

16. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It isn't a few fans. They're everywhere.

17. Supervisor 194

Supervisor 194 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm not a fan of Tilly but I don't begrudge anyone who is.

The characters who are intended to be "just like me" are a form of pandering I don't especially like, and the ones I typically respond to the least.

HotRod, Campe and fireproof78 like this.
  18. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked all of the seasons from PICARD; you are spot on, this new season is closer to Harve Bennett's vision. Almost like a love letter to both him and the Great Nick Meyer.

Lord Garth likes this.
  19. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Most of those posts are by fans of Picard Season three. @Tuskin38, @HotRod and others are pretty active all over this sub-forum and not just to make smug and condescending comments. Tuskin is about as positive a fan as you can find. :lol: I've not given and episode of Picard Season three anything lower than an 8. So that dog wont hunt.
    Gee, you think?

It's not about Picard, Terry or even you. It's about the over the top, hyperbolic, seemingly sycophantic approach that can only praise something they like by tearing something else down. Plus I'm not a fan of hype. I love Bruce Springsteen, but the statement by Jon Landau "I saw my rock and roll past flash before my eyes. I saw something else: I saw rock and roll's future and its name is Bruce Springsteen." was a bit too much.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2023
    jos3s, IronWaffle, Ovation and 2 others like this.
  20. Ronin'sCreamyCandle

Ronin'sCreamyCandle Commander Red Shirt

Signed, Terry has proven he understands Star Trek, unlike the Discovery writers who disrespected canon and what's come before.

In fact, can Terry get Manny Coto to work on a new show with him? A post Season 3 Picard show ?

Qonundrum and cal888 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.