Poll The Superhero Films of 2017

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by kirk55555, Dec 29, 2017.

?

Favorite Superhero movie of 2017 (Vote for One)

1. Wonder Woman

25 vote(s)
    44.6%
  2. Justice League

3 vote(s)
    5.4%
  3. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2

9 vote(s)
    16.1%
  4. Spider-Man: Homecoming

4 vote(s)
    7.1%
  5. Thor Ragnarok

7 vote(s)
    12.5%
  6. Logan

8 vote(s)
    14.3%
  7. Power Rangers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just the time traveling ending is enough to ruin all Superman movies going forward...

2. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Went for Guardians 2 for pure "enjoyment sat there in the cinema" level.

I like Wonder Woman, I don't dislike it.. but I'll never get the huge love it gets. Watching it again on blu ray a few weeks I still don't see what's so beyond amazing about it. Yeah it's a female superhero movie that's not awful (Catwoman, Elektra etc) but just as a movie on it's own... it's good fun and I like it a lot, but I'll just never get how it's that good.

Tosk likes this.
  3. Hugo Rune

Hugo Rune Vice Admiral Admiral

Thor - for making me smile for 2 hours straight
    Logan - for a fitting finale to a modern classic franchise character
    Wonder Woman - for its heart and Gadot
    GOTG 2 - for a complete fun package
    Spiderman: Homecoming - for having a half decent marvel villain.
    Lego Batman - for being the best Batman film in a while
    Justice League - for being mostly dull

Hugo - those top 4 are pretty interchangeable depending on his mood

4. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought that ending was fine. Yeah its stupid, but its the kind of stupid that works with that particular movie. Well, both movies if you include the Donner Cut of Superman II, which I do because its the better version of Superman II.

5. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

So what you're saying is, all those scenes in BvS of Lex being weird, stammering during his speech, feeding that government guy a Jolly Rancher and creeping on a Senator before giving her a jar of piss... perhaps all that stood between those scenes and greatness... was tuba. :p

The Realist likes this.
  6. The Realist

The Realist Vice Admiral Admiral

Okay, that made me literally LOL after a fairly crappy day -- more so when I thought of Eisenberg's Lex actually being scored that way. (Seriously, is there any possible way to argue it wouldn't be an improvement?) So thanks for that, sir.

Gaith likes this.
  7. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

I saw none of these films.

Probably won't ever.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not a fan of superheros?

9. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

10. LJones41

LJones41 Commodore Commodore

I voted for "Wonder Woman", although it's not my favorite DCEU film.

I also enjoyed "Logan", "Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planet" and to a certain extent, most of "Justice League".

ichab likes this.
  11. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Wonder Woman - Didn't really bring anything new to the table, storytelling-wise, but Gadot and Pine had excellent chemistry. Abysmal third act, though.

Justice League - Would have loved to have seen what Snyder would have produced if his family tragedy hadn't happened. As it is, the re-shoots stick out like a sore thumb and Whedon is a shitbird director.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2 - Terrible tone issues (a friend of mine sums it up pretty well) and the movie's pacing comes to a grinding halt when they get to Planet Kurt Russell.

Spider-Man: Homecoming - A great Michael Keaton performance surrounded by blandness and white noise.

Thor Ragnarok - Never got around to it (I'm at the point with Marvel Studios movies where I wait for them to hit Redbox; last one I saw in a theater was ... Civil War?), but I love Waititi.

Logan - Easily one of the best movies I saw in all of 2017, up there with Blade Runner 2049, The Last Jedi, The Big Sick and Get Out ... just an absolute masterpiece by Mangold.

Power Rangers - Saw this in the hospital while doped to the gills on dilaudid and oxycodone and it was a nightmarish piece of cinema.

LEGO Batman - Cute intro / first fifteen minutes but then fell off a cliff; the LEGO Batman character isn't engaging enough to carry his own movie.

12. crookeddy

"I don't like superhero movies"

13. ichab

ichab Commodore Commodore

More like " I don't like BAD Superhero movies."

14. Timby

Pfft, I like plenty. Off the top of my head: Logan, X-Men / 2 / First Class / Days of Future Past, about 75 percent of The Wolverine (although holy shit does it go off the rails when Silver Samurai shows up), Iron Man / 3, Batman '89 / Returns / & Robin, the Batman Nolan trilogy, The First Avenger, The Incredible Hulk, GotG 1, Superman / Returns, Man of Steel, Beavis Ultimate Cut, Watchmen / Director's Cut (the "Ultimate Edition" is balls, though), Spider-Man / 2, Mask of the Phantasm, Blade / II, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Punisher War Zone, Daredevil Director's Cut, Hellboy ... and, again, that's just off the top of my head; if I pulled up a list on Wikipedia or some shit I'm sure I'd find plenty of others.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  15. crookeddy

Was tempted to say "ok so you like superhero movies that aren't like the comics" but... there are some good ones you listed so I'll stay quiet.

16. Timby

As I said in the general WB / DC thread, I can literally count the number of comic books I've read in my life on my fingers and toes. I have absolutely no attachment to source material whatsoever; I don't care if a shot mimics a comic panel or if there's dialogue directly lifted or whatever. Tell me a good story in a visually engaging fashion: That's what I ask for from any movie. To me, when making a movie, being concerned with adherence to the source material is almost as much of an albatross as being concerned with "canon" -- just make a good movie because the hooks to other works mean literally nothing to how the movie stands on its own; the rest will come out in the wash.

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm a bit surprised someone who has liked that many comic book movies would not be more interested in the comics. When I like an adaptation, my first thought is that I have to check out the source material now.

18. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Hear, hear!!!

Source material should inspire, not constrain, adaptations.

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't necessarily need an adaptation to be an exact, word for word recreation of the source material, but it should at least be recognizable as that thing.

20. Timby

Why? Who gives a shit?

Edit: I'm reminded of Starship Troopers. The book is explicit pro-military, pro-fascism bullshit, and Ed Neumeier and Paul Verhoeven pissed on it. The result was an amazing movie.

Works should, and need to, exist independent of one another. Adaptations are just that: Adapting.

Ovation likes this.