The Super Hero Squad Show

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Galactus, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Galactus

Galactus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

2. God Magnus

God Magnus Commodore Commodore

A world where criminals operate above the law...
  3. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Looks like Marvel's attempt to play off of the popularity of Tiny Titans and Batman: The Brave and The Bold with younger children. Fine by me.

4. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I heard about this a while back. Keep in mind that you aren't the target audience. This is for little kids.

5. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

So its a team of dwarves?

6. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

Jesus. Fucking. Christ.

Why do they think turning adults into kids will make a show more appealing to kids? WHY?! And the same goes for teens wanting to see shows about teens? Arrrggghhhhhh.

I... just don't get... the logic... arggggggghhh.

7. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've been following it on Facebook and some of the artwork is pretty cool. The voice cast they have for some of the characters is impressive.

8. Galactus

I know the toys. I see them in the store all the time. The look like those Japanese toys they make silly of serious things. I think I saw one with Iron with teeth smiling. The Adult Swim time slots on the page threw me off.

I really don't know who this is going to be for, since my kids think it is stupid and they usually can pick the winners and the losers when it comes to stuff like.

I don't get the set up though. Why is Iron Man running things instead of Captain America? Why is the Silver Surfer there? Why is Doctor Doom the main bad guy instead of say the Red Skull?

Not quite what I would have hoped for in the first Marvel Universe show. I think they could have done better for the kids than this.

Because the latest generation of kids likes to see people like themselves and not adults. Nobody wants to be an adult or old these days. Haven't you noticed by the commercials you see everyday? It really has always been like that, that is why the created all those teen sidekicks back in the day and why Captain Marvel was the number hero back in the day.

9. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

You said the same thing about Batman: The Brave and the Bold, though - that you showed the preview to your kids and they gave it the thumbs down - and that show has turned out to be very successful.

10. Galactus

You are absolutely right. They said they hated it and it was stupid. Guess what. One of them started watching it and likes it. The others ones still dislike it.

11. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

Yeaaaaaaah.

That's why Bucky and Robin have always been far more popular and liked than Captain America and Batman. Or how the Power Pack trumps the Fantastic Four in all ways! In fact, I do believe they always have been and always will be the top selling point for those three franchises!

Sorry, but no. Adults keep trying to "relate" to kids by featuring them, but that's some fucked-up delusional bullshit. There's a reason the most popular comic book characters aren't kids.

And Captain Marvel is totally a kid. Oh wait, no. He's a kid that turns into an adult, complete with the maturity and wisdom of one. (I also don't recall him ever being the number one hero "back in the day." But to each their own.)

12. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Because it does. The show doesn't seem, at this point, to make the heroes out to be kids, but it gives them a kiddie look based on the toy line. It is something that is popular that they are trying to cash in on.

If anything, it'll get younger kids into comics, which can lead to other things and hopefully, slow down the dwindling industry that is comic books.

On a side point teens watching shows about teens. Well, that works too as evidenced by nearly the entire line-up at the CW (Gossip Girl, 90210, One Tree Hill, etc) and by movies such as Twilight (unless you really think that movie/book series would be as popular with teens if the leads were adults).

13. Galactus

Well research goes a long way into finding things out. You are on the internet after all.

And we are talking about popular with kids and not the general population. Why would anyone even know who Power Pack is? I believe Power Rangers on the other hand has been the top selling boys toy for years since they came out. Considering how much money Disney makes off of kids each year I am sure they know exactly what they are doing when it comes to marketing to kids. You forgot to mention how popular Spider-Man is and he has basically been a teenager the whole time.

14. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Great point Galactus. You're right... Spider-Man was a teenager/young adult-college kid for quite a bit of his over 40 years of history. And even though Spider-Man NOW is an adult, they still have Ultimate Spider-Man running around in the Ultimate Marvel universe and he's still a teenager. That was one of Stan Lee's "great ideas!" back in the day were to feature teenagers as the heroes in their own right, instead of just teen sidekicks. Let's look at what he created...

Spider-Man - high school kid gets super powers
    Fantastic Four - Human Torch - teenager gets super powers
    The X-Men - a team of teenagers with mutant super powers

Stan Lee started it back in the mid sixties... and guess what... everyone tries to "talk to kids on their level" which works sometimes and other times... falls flat on its face. Only time and a couple episodes will tell if this one falls or kicks ass. Remember how everyone was really against the Transformers Animated show a couple years back and then it became a pretty popular fan even among "GeeWun'ers" (G1'ers) so... we'll see.

15. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

What are you talking about? The characters in this show are adults.

16. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Mine too, and I think I agreed with you at the time. We watch it the odd time if there's a hero featured that we have the toy for. My 5 year old likes that, he likes to see what their powers are. Other than that, they never watch it. My daughter likes the Batman that was on the previous season and watches the recorded eps we have over and over. She's 12.

My 5 year old likes the Iron Man Armoured Adventures. It's kind of growing on me, too, although I would have loved it a lot more if they'd just made Tony "Tony Jr" and have Tony Sr been long retired and gone missing.

17. Nick Ryder

Yeah that's kinda why I don't think I'll ever really accept "Armored Adventures" as a real Iron Man cartoon. It's just... annoying. I hated Teen Tony in comics. Was overjoyed when he came back as an adult.

I agree, Tony Jr would have been a better concept. Leave us guessing who his mother is until maybe a full season in. Since Tony Sr. was a notorious ladies' man. I mean they could even say his mother was Maria Hill - former Director of SHIELD, former Asst. Director of SHIELD when Stark ran the show - current outlaw with Tony... and bedmate at least once. ;) (which would be kinda interesting considering Tony's mother's name is Maria) I know it seems like since the Iron Man movie, hooking Tony and Pepper up is the "in" idea. And this Pepper just seems... annoying.

I would kill though for a GOOD Iron Man series though. One that followed it from maybe after his whole origin, we really don't need to be told yet again how he became Iron Man, just have him already active and get into some good storylines right off the bat.

Super Hero Squad is definately for the kiddies, but maybe Marvel/Disney will give us a more mature Marvel Universe show down the pipe if this does well enough.

18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Wait a minute, is this show on already? I thought it was just upcoming sometime.

Probably because Iron Man had a really successful movie last year and is quite popular with mass audiences, whereas Cap is still relatively obscure.

No doubt because he's part of the toy line. As a rule, any question you can ask about kids' cartoons can be answered by understanding that they exist mainly to sell toys.

Again, maybe because Doom is a better-known character. Or maybe Red Skull is scarier for the kids who are the target audience.

19. Nick Ryder

And Doom will probably talk like this:

"DOOM WILL NOT ALLOW THIS AFFRONTERY TO HIS PERSONAGE! FALL YOU VILE MAGGOTS!"

"Doom bids you welcome to Glorious Latveria! Doom-Bots. Exterminate the interlopers."

"DOOM WILL NOT TOLERATE THIS!"

"RICHARDSSSSSSS!"

20. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

It's set to debut with its first two episodes on Monday on Cartoon Network (7pm and 7.30pm ET) and tomorrow on Canada's Teletoon network (8.30pm ET).

Here are some of the regular cast:

Tom Kenny as Iron Man, Captain America and M.O.D.O.K.
    Grey DeLisle as Ms. Marvel and the Enchantress
    Alimi Ballard as the Falcon
    Charlie Adler as Dr. Doom

And here are some of the guest stars lined up:

Shawn Ashmore as Iceman
    LeVar Burton as Rhodey
    Taye Diggs as the Black Panther
    Robert Englund as Dormammu
    Greg Grunberg as Ant-Man
    Mark Hamill as the Red Skull
    Lena Headey as the Black Widow
    Tricia Helfer as Sif