• Welcome! The TrekBBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans.
    If you are not already a member then please register an account and join in the discussion!

News The Satan Pit Extended Cut theatrical release

  • Thread starter The Nightmare Doctor
  • Start date

The Nightmare Doctor

Scarecrow Master
Premium Member
To celebrate this year's anniversary, "The Impossible Planet"/"The Satan Pit" will be reedited as a single film with deleted scenes included. Renamed as The Satan Pit: Extended Cut, the feature will be released in theaters across the U.K., Ireland, the U.S., Canada, Australia, and New Zealand on November 23.

Additionally, the screening will feature “an exclusive interview with International Emmy and multiple BAFTA award-winning director and producer James Strong, reflecting on the making of one of the most celebrated stories of the modern Doctor Who era.”

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

You can check Fantom Entertainment for a list of participating local theaters. Unfortunately, there's nothing even remotely close to me so I'll miss out on this experience, which is a crying shame since that two-parter remains one of my favorite Tennant stories.
 
Last edited:
Do we know how much longer it's going to be than the two original episodes were? I might be tempted to try and go see it, but it's not gonna be worth it if it's only 2 or 3 minutes of new footage.
 
Do we know how much longer it's going to be than the two original episodes were? I might be tempted to try and go see it, but it's not gonna be worth it if it's only 2 or 3 minutes of new footage.
The Fanthom Entertainment page I linked says two hours but that's probably a case of rounding up. Or includes James Strong interview.
 
Curious as to why they chose THAT two-parter - is there some special significance linking it to the Anniversary? If they wanted a Tennant/Rose two-parter, Army of Ghosts/Doomsday was the better of the two.
 
Curious as to why they chose THAT two-parter - is there some special significance linking it to the Anniversary? If they wanted a Tennant/Rose two-parter, Army of Ghosts/Doomsday was the better of the two.
It makes sense to me. It's well-liked, standalone, it doesn't feature returning villains or characters, and it doesn't end with the Doctor in absolute despair while a strange woman in a wedding dress yells at him.
 
It makes sense to me. It's well-liked, standalone, it doesn't feature returning villains or characters, and it doesn't end with the Doctor in absolute despair while a strange woman in a wedding dress yells at him.

Catherine Tate's cleavage on the big screen would be awesome in iMAX and you cannot lie.
 
I initially got excited about the idea of Doctor Who back in the theatre. But neither of these episodes really appeal to me.
 
Curious as to why they chose THAT two-parter - is there some special significance linking it to the Anniversary? If they wanted a Tennant/Rose two-parter, Army of Ghosts/Doomsday was the better of the two.
Army of Ghosts/Doomsday has Noel Clarke in it.

Along with John Barrowman the two probably rule out quite a few of the two parters from being given such a release.
 
Army of Ghosts/Doomsday has Noel Clarke in it.

Along with John Barrowman the two probably rule out quite a few of the two parters from being given such a release.
That's not a good enough reason to not select it. If they're going to go with a two-parter, it should be the best story. And the current selection isn't it.
 
Curious as to why they chose THAT two-parter - is there some special significance linking it to the Anniversary? If they wanted a Tennant/Rose two-parter, Army of Ghosts/Doomsday was the better of the two.
That's not a good enough reason to not select it. If they're going to go with a two-parter, it should be the best story. And the current selection isn't it.
Honestly, I far prefer "The Satan Pit"/"The Impossible Planet" over that pair, which hyperfocuses all of Davies' worst tendencies. Hell, I may have only rewatched once and even that is a stretch. Whereas I've seen the Satan duo multiple times.

The truly only great thing about the Doomsday duo is Murray Gold's haunting "Doomsday," which, unfortunately, has been well overplayed at this point.
 
Honestly, I far prefer "The Satan Pit"/"The Impossible Planet" over that pair, which hyperfocuses all of Davies' worst tendencies. Hell, I may have only rewatched once and even that is a stretch. Whereas I've seen the Satan duo multiple times.

The truly only great thing about the Doomsday duo is Murray Gold's haunting "Doomsday," which, unfortunately, has been well overplayed at this point.

I think this is the point some people are (perhaps wilfully?) ignoring. the great thing about The Satan Pit/The Impossible Planet is that it's relatively standalone, whereas Army of Ghosts/Doomsday perhaps requires more prior knowledge of events/characters etc. Just my two peneth worth.

For the record though I'm with you, given the two I know which 2 parter I'd rather watch again.
 
I don't know if this would have been a factor in the decision making or not, but RTD has cited The Satan Pit as one of his personal favorites from his first era, so there's also that to consider.

Outside of School Reunion that's one of my highlights of the second series, and it felt like a classic Who story, the kind of serial you could drop any Doctor into and it'd work with just a bit of tweaking.
 
"School Reunion" is fun but relies heavily on nostalgia and Lis Sladen absolutely nailing the return. As you said, the Satan duo works much better as a standalone and one of the reasons I love the story so much is that it was the first truly alien world in the modern series (I don't count New Earth). Besides, who doesn't love the Ood?!
 
If you are not already a member then please register an account and join in the discussion!

Sign up / Register


Back
Top