The Runaways (Marvel/Hulu)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Aug 17, 2016.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Damn, I completely forgot this one was even happening. I really wish this was on something other than Hulu.

2. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hmm, don't really know any of them. IGN says the guy playing Alex was on Teen Wolf, but I don't recognize him. To bad this isn't on Freeform, then we could get a Runaways/Cloak & Dagger crossover like they did in the comics.

Defiant-A and Turtletrekker like this.
  4. Turtletrekker

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  5. kitik

kitik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That "straight to series" mention is just as likely to be a misprint as a fact. Hopefully it'll happen, but I wouldn't take that as official just yet.
    It could still happen.

6. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Greg Sulkin was the male love interest in the teen sitcom Faking It.

He played a dim witted rich kid, but no one cared that he was dumb because he was so gosh darn handsome... Playing a crude jock is a similar role.

Rhenzy Feliz was entertaining on Casual. I thought he was too thin to be in threesome with women who could pass for 23, but he was a dying cancer boy, but it was a pitty #### from a couple friends, so what he brought to the table hardly mattered. 16 year old boys look like 9 year olds to me. 9 year olds driving cars. I am always calling the police on them!

7. Turtletrekker

Molly supposed to be 9, but the actress playing her is 14.

8. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I figured they'd have to change Molly a bit. Trying to have an actual 9 year old as a regular on a show is probably hard, especially since its not just a standard sitcom or something like that.

9. Guy Gardener

The problem is keeping her nine for 5 years if it takes them 5 years to tell a story that takes place over the course of 6 weeks.

There's a British sitcom I watch where they have a 24 year old (in a fat suit for some reason) playing a 14 year old drama queen. Undernurished short woman can play little girls with out much fuss and so much less baggage.

10. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

While probably necessary, the downside of ageing Molly up is that you can't do that gag from the early issues of the comics where she keeps trying to ask the others about an unusual feeling she keeps having, as if she's "changing" and they awkwardly try to dance around the subject because who wants to have *that* conversation with a 9 year old? The payoff that it's actually her powers manifested was a lot funnier than it had any right to be. ;)

Turtletrekker likes this.
  11. Guy Gardener

Besides, a few 15 year olds are elderly enough to be charged with kidnapping if they runaway with a 9 year old, which might be an unecessary layer to the onion.

12. Turtletrekker

Casting for "The Pride" (the bad guys, aka "the parents").

Of note to genre fans is James Marsters, aka Spike on "Buffy" and "Angel", as Victor Stein, father of Runaway Chase Stein.

[​IMG]
    Ryan Sands (Hat Hair, The Wire) as Geoffrey Wilder – is a man defined by the grueling path he’s taken to achieve his self-made success. A hulking presence, Geoffrey can effortlessly shift from approachable father to intimidating strategist with his son Alex.

[​IMG]
    Angel Parker (The People v. OJ Simpson: American Crime Story, The Strain) as Catherine Wilder – a successful lawyer, is deliberate and calculating in both her words and actions. But when it comes to her family, she’s fiercely loyal and a loving mother to her son Alex.

[​IMG]
    Brittany Ishibashi (This Is Us, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows) as Tina Minoru – a perfectionist “tiger mom.” In her professional life, she is a brilliant innovator and ruthless CEO. Emotionally, she is less confident, often shying away from difficult conversations with her daughter Nico and careful to avoid explicit displays of her feelings.

[​IMG]
    James Yaegashi (Breakfast at Tiffany’s on Broadway, Madame Secretary) as Robert Minoru – a gentle and brilliant beta, the Woz to his wife’s Jobs. Warm and feeling, Robert sometimes struggles with being married to a woman who so forcefully barricades her emotions while caring about Nico.

[​IMG]
    Kevin Weisman (Hello Ladies, Alias) as Dale Yorkes – a beardy, dad-core bioengineer. Incredibly science-minded, he has a deep love for his family but oftentimes falls short at knowing the right things to say to Gert.

[​IMG]
    Brigid Brannagh (Army Wives, True Colors) as Stacey Yorkes – an absent-minded and professorial bioengineer. Perpetually dawning Birkenstocks and a messy bun, Stacey utilizes a progressive approach to her parenting style to Gert.

[​IMG]
    Annie Wersching (Timeless, The Vampire Diaries) as Leslie Dean – a complicated beauty, is a poised and skilled leader. Clear-minded, focused, and charismatic, Leslie draws in devoted allies and followers who are taken by her success and charm, particularly with her daughter Karolina.

[​IMG]
    Kip Pardue (Remember the Titans, Ray Donovan) as Frank Dean – a former teen star who rode a short-lived movie career and is now teeming with insecurity. Floundering in his professional career as an actor, Frank is seeking to renew purpose in his life while being a father to Karolina.

[​IMG]
    James Marsters (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel) as Victor Stein – an engineering genius who may just save the word from itself. Electric cars, space travel; the military and NASA both look to him for answers. As a father to Chase, Victor has lofty expectations for his son, and when they aren’t met, his retribution can be fierce.

[​IMG]
    Ever Carradine (The Handmaids Tale, Goliath) as Janet Stein – a perfect PTA mom. Harboring a brilliant mind of her own, she has made deep sacrifices for her husband’s world-changing career. Though she hides it for the wellbeing of her son Chase, Janet longs for more from her life.

“This cast is an abundance of riches. We are so excited to have assembled our Pride, though for the fate of humanity we should be very concerned,” said Executive Producers Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  13. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

James Marsters is definitely an interesting casting choice. I think he could play the part well, although that's just based on my knowledge of the comics, the TV show could make the whole situation very different.

14. Turtletrekker

I just realized that they didn't list Molly's parents.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  15. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I guess they haven't finished casting. Or maybe there's some big-name reveal that they're saving up.

16. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I'm still curious if they're going to bother trying to connect this Tina Minoru with the one that showed up in 'Doctor Strange'. On the one hand it'll be odd for two characters with identical names and are both sorcerers who have wielded the Staff of One, but are at least a decade apart in age.
    On the other hand she was just an easter egg that only die-hard fans and not the kind of thing the new showrunners should be beholden to.

Aside from just flat out ignoring the connection or writing it off as a co-incidence, there's certainly a few ways to approach it.
    One would be to have her thrown back in time during the reality bending fight in Hong Kong, either by the staff itself and/or some combination of factors involving a building full of enchanted objects, a breach in the fabric of the universe and a former surgeon messing with an infinity stone that specifically manipulates time.
    Another could be that the Minoru family are all sorcerers and the Tina we saw in Hong Kong is a relative with the same first name, like say for the sake of argument a niece that was named after Nico's mother. Which Tina is the black sheep of the family would be up in the air as it could go either way. However that still leaves the question of how Nico's mother got hold of the Staff of One from her (theoretical) niece.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I've been wondering about that since they revealed the Doctor Strange characters name.
    I'm a big fan of Weisman, Wersching and Marsters so I'm thrilled to see the three of them in this.
    I wonder if Annie Wersching will get to leave her hair red, or if she'll dye it blond?

18. Turtletrekker

19. Guy Gardener

There was an Iron Man comic, made recently, the last 5 years? Set while Stark was a drunk vagrant wandering the streets... Where Tony was so black out wasted, that he didn't remember ever fighting the Pryde for 6 issues.

:)

20. kitik

kitik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

this was shown at Hulu's upfronts this morning, or something like that

so it's not an official trailer, and as you can see, it's a cam
    (so don't click if you're waiting for the regular version)

that said, it looks pretty damn cool, and parts of it look damn faithful to the comic

If you're wondering whether you should click or not, my guess is that's the exact same trailer we'll get from Hulu in a few weeks.

Turtletrekker likes this.