The Romulan War: Beneath the Raptor's Wing - Discuss (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by DarkHorizon, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't know if it's a bad idea, but the execution...I dunno. I felt the descriptions of "the way future engineering has to be" and Dax's reactions were telegraphing the 60's 'treknology' look a little *too* much.

2. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I, on the other hand, quite liked that decision. I thought it was a nice way of tying in TOS depictions of technology with ENT and later Trek's depictions, and I thought it made for some excellent drama between Earth and its allies (and nicely explained why it was called the Earth-Romulan War rather than the Coalition-Romulan War).

As for the use of nukes -- why not? The basic rule of warfare is not, "Newer and better." The rule of war is, "Whatever works."

3. CaptainDonovin

CaptainDonovin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I also liked the way Starfleet had to use older tech to fight off the Romulans. I remember Margaret Clark mentioning this before she was let go as a wat to show why the TOS tech seemed less advanced.

One thing I was a bit surprised at was there seem to be a lot more Starfleet ships than I thought.

4. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

But what I don't understand is, where is this need to explain the TOS depiction of technology coming from? "OMG, Romulans will destroy us because our tech is too advanced! Quick, redesign our bridge modules to look ridiculous!"

BTW, USS Kelvin originated from the Prime Universe's post-ENT / pre-TOS period, right? And the technology aboard Kelvin appeared far more advanced and futuristic compared to ENT, and especially compared to TOS, right? And Star Trek XI is in fact irrefutably canon, is it not?

I believe you see my point here...

5. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

1. I don't think the TOS bridge looks that primitive. I'd describe it more as looking retro-future.

2. They didn't have to explain the appearance of TOS tech; it was a choice. It was a choice that made for a good story in their view; it's that simple.

And the writers of the ENT Relaunch would have had no way of knowing what the Kelvin would look like until ST09 was released.

6. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

With all due respect, the TOS bridge looked like a toy set.

Bridge from "The Cage," however, looked pretty good for its time. But I guess GR and Co. had to change it because it wasn't kitschy enough for the sixties' TV audience.

That's exactly my problem with it.

The story itself is pretty good, I concur.

7. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

The bright colors were added to the sets (and Trek's look in general) because NBC was advertising themselves as the "first all-color network" and wanted that shown in their programming. Add to that the fact that RCA, one of the leading sellers of color TVs at that time, owned NBC, and the reasoning becomes that much clearer (and more colorful :D).

8. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

I think it is a good idea to have a bridge between Enterprise Tech and TOS tech. We need to read a few more novels, before at least I should comment on the execution.

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I see there's a real Captain Dunsel...so where does the insult that bears his name (used by Starfleet Academy cadets in TOS' time) come from? Dunsel wasn't useless, although he may have felt that way. He and his crew sacrificed themselves in battle. What could be more useFUL than that?

I just hope there's at least one NX-class ship left standing at the end of this sumbitch...they're dropping like flies here... :wtf:

10. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well unless they plan to change the name of the series then at least Enterprise has to survive.

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

But there was a reference to the tone of despair and hopelessness that pervaded Captain Dunsel's final log entry jettisoned in the log buoy before that. So I guess history would've been written based on that log entry rather than on the act of heroism that followed. Sometimes history gets it wrong.

12. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Very much agreed. Was nice Endeavor survived.

13. Mr. Laser Beam

Oh God, don't tell me Atlantis buys it too? :( I'm not that far yet. At the point I'm at, there's still NX's 1, 2, 5 and 6.

Edit: Now I'm to the part where Travis ruminates on how he's become a jinx across the whole fleet and no one will approve his transfer requests. :lol:

I do think it's a bit of a coincidence that so many Romulans are showing up who will one day have starships named after them...

And what's this Haakona, anyway? Is it any relation to the Haakonian Order from VOY?

Nice shout-out to the TOS Technical Manual, with Karzan. He becomes praetor in this novel, and in the tech manual, Karzan is said to be the Romulan praetor who negotiated their end of the peace treaty. Although since the tech manual assumes it was a *Federation*-Romulan war, which is obviously impossible here, that particular continuity may not have been necessary. ;)

And looks like Lydia Littlejohn appears as well. The future head of state (*not* head of government) for United Earth...

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  14. Judge King

Judge King Lieutenant Red Shirt

It bites the dust sadly

15. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just finished this book last night and wished there was a second book to contine where the story left off and I have to say i really liked this book alot one of the best Enterprise relaunch books yet. I do wonderwhat will happen
    What will happen to Trip being undercover on Vulcan trying to expose Romulan spies and Vulcan sympathisizers to the Romulanwar effort, and who the villians are I don't think Trip can trust Y'Cha I think she tampered with this memeories of the undercover mission at the the Romulan shipyards. I also wonder what happened to Mayweather after the Atlantis was destroyed as well.Also T'Pol having to return to Vulcan againI wonder what will happen to her when she returns home again.

16. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Haakona was the name of Romulan Subcommander Taris's ship in TNG: "Contagion." In Star Charts, Geoffrey Mandel named multiple Romulan and Klingon worlds after Romulan and Klingon ships (respectively) seen in the various shows. So that's why there's a planet Haakona in this book.

The only connection to VGR's Haakonians is that the respective writers of "Contagion" and "Jetrel" were probably both influenced by Haakon, the name of various historical Norwegian kings.

17. Mr. Laser Beam

So what the hell is it with Y'cha, anyway? Who is she working for? :confused:

18. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's what I've been wondering who Y'Cha is working for and what her motives are when it comes to certain actions she takes in the book.
    I want to know why she didn't seem at all to be upset about Sopek's escape from the Vulcan frieighter and later during their mission to the Romulan Shipyards she has contacted Sopek/Chuleve about Suran class Vulcan military ship and the Romulan warp 7 seven prototype.She's got alot to hide and been lying to Trip the whole time to get him to come to Vulcan.I think she sabotaged Trip's memories of the mission.I think T'Pol is too trusting of Y'Cha and Trip has good reasons to be supiscious not really to to trust Y'Cha and Denak too far when it comes to certain intel they're telling him about while he's on Vulcan for however long in the next book.

19. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

I found it interesting to learn who Dunsel was.
    I would speculate that Enterprise will be the only NX class ship left in Starfleet at the end of the War.

20. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

Haven't read this yet, but I think it's safe to assume the Enterprise survives the war because didn't Troi say in TATV that she had visited it in the museum?