The Recipe Thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by rhubarbodendron, Jul 1, 2019.

?

What is the best food going?

1. Fast Food-Chinese fast food, BK, Wendy's, Mac-Burger, white castle ......

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Slow cooker stuff -

8 vote(s)
    53.3%
  3. Homemade Magic

6 vote(s)
    40.0%
  4. All Fresh and great Salads.

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  5. Party snacks are the main course.

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  6. Desserts only everything else is filler.

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  7. Food + Alcohol = Best food ever.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. More food...

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  9. Eating out at someones - House or Restaurant

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  10. I Stopped eating things.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Anything with Meat.

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  12. Anything But Meat.

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  13. My Hand...?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Your Hand!!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. End of poll Choices = I don't care.

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  16. All of the above

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Butters

Butters Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I made an awesome casserole last week.

A few tins of tomatoes and mushrooms, a couple of stock cubes, and a bit of chicken and bacon, slow cooked for six hours and served with chips.

Delicious and cheap.

think, Avro Arrow and Gary Mitchell like this.
  2. think

think Like Spock Premium Member

Great that’s what it is about

Making stew veggie again

Any help or ideas is great??

Looking like 3 hour boil. For it .. at 2 hours the beans (small red beans) were still crunchy

KimMH likes this.
  3. sevenstars

sevenstars Captain Captain

Soak the beans?

Kor, think and Gary Mitchell like this.
  4. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

5. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

That made me :guffaw:WAAAAYYYY more than it should have...

6. think

I have done the in that I have also left the beans soak for a day or two .. and not good. just because I guess I was asleep or something, If they are made right when I put them in the water it still works these small red beans were just being difficult 3+ hours of boiling .. so I did not expect that --- and mush carrot no potato's but they are there. hehe and the beans are soft :)

with more planning and such maybe freezing the extra for later and... then I would have that pot for.. the next batch.. to soak other wise .. the day I finish I wash and start again,.. oh some very few of the green beans are still about :)

I keep saying the next bowl I will use lemon juice and not the Balsamic vinegar.. but I like the vinegar too much

KimMH likes this.
  7. sekundant

sekundant Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Do you know which part of Germany he came from? While there are many regional hot German salad variations and they are very very patriotically, if it comes which recipe is the "real" one. :rofl:

think likes this.
  8. think

eating the veg stew again one scoop in the microwave for 2.5 minutes then it is great -0- I did not use the balsamic vinegar this time I don't think I needed it IDK it was just good.. wholesome fun.. :) I am holding off on the second helping till about 3 hrs from now. yep --- and I found my old food journal ---

KimMH likes this.
  9. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

*emerges from cookie dough*
    no probat all :) A rather good idea, actually. I went for "all of the above" since what I prefer to eat depends very much on my mood. Today it's nothing - I feel a bit under the weather, propably due to an overdose of peanut butter yesterday.
    Sorry about the delayed reply - mom went into"cookie retirement" and I have to do all the baking this year, after work and in the weekends. I think I'll sleep through Christmas (it's 3 holidays over here).

As for the peanut butter overdose: I made chicken with sate sauce:
    slice chicken breast thinly, season to taste (I uaually use salt, pepper, sweet paprica and curry) and fry golden brown. Remove meat from frying pan and add sliced savoy cabbage. Stir-fry for a minute or two. Add tons of peanut butter, let it melt, add enough water to make a creamy sauce, season with soy sauce. Serve with the fried meat and rice.
    It's quick and nourishing and a good way to use up half a jar of peanut butter left from my peanut butter kisses (recipe to follow tomorrow).

KimMH, think and Gary Mitchell like this.
  10. think

@rhubarbodendron ?
    Did you read all the options.. ? before selecting "all of the above"? mmmm There are some think exclusives you might not find in your typical list of food options--- like "my hand" and "your hand" as food options .. I was leery of adding the pole for reasons like that.==

Another day of stewed vegetables :)

still great right from the refrigerator == loving it . -- so good no balsamic vinegar again no need too very good. one bowl microwave. 3.5 minutes just right--

KimMH likes this.
  11. rhubarbodendron

^depends on the preparation and the circumstances, I'd say. In anatomy class we dissected pork knuckles as they are extremely similar to human hands. A muscle is a muscle - meat - no matter in which species. And rather than starving to death, one might be forced to eat human body parts, e.g. when drifting in a longboat for weeks or when getting lost on an arctic expedition. Just think of Owen Chase or Uruguayan Airforce Flight 571.
    I'd draw the line at the Donner_Reed-Party, though. One would have to be extremely clumsy and foolish to starve to death next to a lake full of trout. And flight 571 is a borderline case imho: admittedly they were not equipped for walking down a glacier, yet, being trained for combat they might have been strong enough to succeed. And below the snow line they'd have found plenty of food (herbs, barks, lichens, mice, insects). But hailing from very sparsely populated and rather cold mountains myself I am admittedly biased.
    In traditional Bavarian cuisine every part of an animal is used and many non-Bavarians will cringe at the thought of chopped lung stew, breaded udder, milt sausage or liver dumplings. But when you get down to the root of eating habits and food taboos it's just a matter of what you are used to and what's customary in your social group. Some peoples hunt insects, others eat spiders and some used to eat humans. All of them are sure to have / have had a lot of traditional and tasty recipes.

think likes this.
  12. think

Obviously there is a lot of things I missed in the poll mentioned here. But culture is of course the key to the way we eat.

13. rhubarbodendron

sorry about the delay but here it finally comes: the

peanut butter kiss recipe

Ingredients:
    1 1/3 cups flour
    1/3 cup starch
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 cup soft butter
    1/3 cup peanut butter
    2/3 cups icing sugar
    1/3 cup brown sugar
    1 large egg
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract or vanilla sugar
    1-2 bars of milk chocolate

Preparation:
    whisk butter with peanut butter, the sugars and egg until fluffy.
    Gradually add the sifted flour, starch and raising agents and beat it all into a smooth dough.
    Cut the chocolate into bits.
    Roll the dough into little balls, a bit larger than 1 inch. Into each ball insert a piece of chocolate so that a corner just peeks through the dough.
    Leave about 2 inches between the balls and bake them in the middle of the oven at 340°F (170°C) until they start to get a little colour. Leave 3-4 minutes to cool before taking them off the baking tray as they are brittle as long as they are hot.

They are best when warm but in a jar or tin with a tight lid they keep about 2 weeks and if necessary they can be deep frozen.
    I usually reduce the amount of sugar by 1/3 and make bite-sized cookies which I fill with 1/4 piece of chocolate. You can also use chocolate kisses instead. They are much easier to fold into the dough balls. And even without chocolate these cookies are pretty tasty.
    I didn't record the baking time but I'd estimate about 10-12 minutes. These cookies don't char easily, so it's no problem to leave them in a bit longer. Mine survived 20 mins and were still pale :D

The only person I know to heartily dislike these cookies is my mom. Apparently there were tons of peanut butter in the Care Parcels back in '45 and mom still can't stand the scent.

14. Gary Mitchell

15. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ew. :eek:

Kor

think and KimMH like this.
  16. KimMH

KimMH Drinking your old posts Premium Member

:guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:

think and Gary Mitchell like this.
  17. Gary Mitchell

I'm glad that somebody laughed.

KimMH and think like this.
  18. think

80820771_10156432872971650_3463509636638834688_o.jpg

this is dinner..it is half burt which mean I like it more.. [​IMG]:)
    Pepper butter .. string beans - potatoes - italian seasoning..sage.. --- oh at the end I put some slivers of fresh ginger --- in it too I should of done that first. garlic too bunch of garlic--- — so there was no salt used which gave it more flavor then ginger stood out .. when I would get some.. -- the only salt is in the second amount of butter used that was salted and the very last of the salted butter 000 so no more salt in butter --- I have that kind of butter but wanted to finish what was left -00-

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
    Miss Lemon, KimMH and Gary Mitchell like this.
  19. Delta Vega

Delta Vega Commodore Commodore

I hate looking at pictures of food, there are some horrendous images on this thread.
    Anyway
    Two slices of bread, toasted to a frazzle, smothered in butter
    Hot mug of tea with milk and sugar
    Wonderful

KimMH likes this.
  20. this is a pretty fancy and easy recipe...
    [​IMG]

also this one i think is very very good:
    a crown roast of frankfurters

[​IMG]