The Q Continuum trilogy

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by BruntFCA, Jun 28, 2012.

1. BruntFCA

BruntFCA Commander Red Shirt

I just ordered this omnibus and was wondering what everyone thought about them?

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I remember liking them when I read them a billion years ago (give or take).

3. shanejayell

shanejayell Captain Captain

It was pretty good. Cox tries to tie together a lot of Star Trek lore and blame it on the Q. Which... mostly works.

4. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

I just read them a couple of weeks ago - enjoyed it a lot, though I think it'd have worked better as one big volume, negating the need to remind readers what happened last time...

But that's just the way the books were at that time.

5. rfmcdpei

rfmcdpei Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I enjoyed it.

6. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I remember writing them a trillion years ago!

7. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

They're a lot of fun. The neat way a couple of specific trek mysteries were tied up was very cool.

8. UncleRogi

UncleRogi Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I enjoy all your books, Greg.

How these entities were portrayed in written form was inspired, if not Roswellian (who were you talking to...:lol:)

Khan....will show up in nuTrek...But got found by the Klingons!!! :klingon:

9. shanejayell

shanejayell Captain Captain

I'm not sure it's 'canon' for the relaunch since KRAD's novel has a different reason for Q to be around humanity.

(Though I tend to think Q is a unreliable narrator. Could be he lied to Picard. In either book.)

T'Ressa Dax likes this.
  10. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

Q & A does reference the Q trilogy from memory.

11. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

I like to assume Q was messing about with the whole "I killed the dinosaurs and you're my penance" bit :) (I like to think he couldn't resist throwing it in while showing Picard through his history - sort of like how Q&A explained the Robin Hood episode as a bit of fun mostly unconnected to the wider plan). I'm willing to squint and make this trilogy fit in, mostly because I liked it - I agree, The Q Continuum is a lot of fun.

And you're right, zarkon, there is a brief reference to the trilogy in Q&A, when Q is making offhand references to his experiences involving the Enterprise(s).

The hardest part to reconcile might be the Tkon, given what Vanguard had to say about their end, but, again, I think squinting makes it work, for those of us who care.

Markonian likes this.
  12. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

There is also a brief reference to New Frontier somewhere in the trilogy when Selar's transfer to Excalibur is mentioned. However, Sonya Gomez is depicted as being still on the Enterprise long after SCE establishes her leaving.

13. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've told this story before, but this was my first Star Trek experience. I was 12 and was just getting into reading adult novels and the book cover caught my eye for some reason.

Greg Cox and Markonian like this.
  14. Stoek

Stoek Commander Red Shirt

Personally I am rather fond of it. It does a nice job serving as a Portrait of the Deity as a Young Entity. Plus I love how it references most of the non corporeal entities in Trek history.

On a not unrelated note am I the only person who has cast W. Morgan Shepherd as 0?

15. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't remember much of it, except that I found it readable. I guess I need to re-read it!

I remember the names. I can't remember if 0 was "oh" or "zero", but I remember realizing or deciding at some point that my original assumption was wrong.

* I dubbed "bing!" in my head. Like when a microwave is ready.

Oh, and the galactic barrier. Q ponders life (or something) while staring into it. In Q-Squared, the barrier WAS Q, albeit discoporealized, unconcious and time displaced. When I read the latter, I remember thinking back to the former and thinking, "You were looking at yourself and you never realized it!"

T'Ressa Dax and Markonian like this.
  16. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Admiral

But known as Chandler to his Friends?

Anyway, his name is (*), IIRC.

17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

He'll always be Spinny Pinwheel Thingy to me.

Therin of Andor and Markonian like this.
  18. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

I just got my copy of this and I was wondering where it’s set so I can place probably on my shelf but the Stardate “500146.2” keeps giving me the year 2863 on various Stardate calculators which must be wrong.
    They’re wearing the FC uniforms so it must be on the E.

19. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

The timeline from Voyages of Imaginations changes the stardate to 51604.2 which is August 9, 2374. According to Voyages of Imaginations the previous TNG novel is Immortal Coil while the previous novel from any series is NF: Fire on High.

Markonian likes this.
  20. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks. Could be a mistake. If you take a zero out the date goes to February 23rd 2373 which sounds like it could be right.

Jinn likes this.