THE ORVILLE S2, E4: "NOTHING LEFT ON EARTH EXCEPTING FISHES"

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Serveaux, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Corbomite!

Okay, Gordon is not Kirk. :lol:

That was so fucking corny. I love it.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  2. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Are Talaya and “Janelle” played by the same actress? Also I think it would have been more interesting to have “Janelle” around longer before the big reveal. But as always, Ed seems to be unlucky in love. Poor Ed.

I want to know what Gordon saw in those images that made him freak out.

3. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Gotta say, I liked this one. It's the best episode of the season so far, & it's easily the best Ed Story to date. B plot was done in the right amount too. What's weird is that seeing next week's teaser gets me thinking I'll like that one even more, which means that the show has been steadily improving as it goes into the season, & that's odd because I recall thinking the same thing last season, which means they have this habit of a slow burn of steadily improving episodes. I'm not sure if that's deliberate or if it is, why, but I'm a little uncomfortable about it, because it just doesn't seem like a stable model. You should want to start strong, & put some of ytour weaker stuff spread out in the middle area imho... but what do I know :shrug:

Bgt likes this.
  4. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

They should have had Mercer say, “You Star Trek Discovery’d me?” :)

Edit: Seems rather quiet here. People must be watching something else.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    Phoenix219 likes this.
  5. Serveaux

I felt for Ed, doofus that he is.

MacFarlane has terrible posture, for an actor. It's endearing.

I feel fond of all these characters. This is not a response I'm accustomed to lately with these space operas.

CaptainMurdock, Amaris and Admiral2 like this.
  6. thribs

I don’t see Gordon wearing blue. Just doesn’t seem him.
    Should have known the number 42 would be in his command code.

7. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

OK, elements of the TNG ep with Geordi and the Romulan on Planet Hell and the DS9 ep with Quark and Odo climbing the mountain. And, of course, Corbomite.

8. Serveaux

Oh, that's right...they only climb mountains on DS9. :rolleyes:

Elements of a couple thousand old action TV shows. There's nothing distinctive about 90s Trek stories.

9. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

That was wonderful. The prisoner hand-off was epic.

Phaser Two and Amaris like this.
  10. Serveaux

I adored that.

I hope Telaya will be recurring.

It's interesting to see the Krill analyzed as frightened and see them biting off more than they can chew with their belligerence. This could be going somewhere.

Phaser Two, Deledrius and Amaris like this.
  11. scottydog

scottydog Admiral Admiral

It was a good episode, albeit a little predictable. Good to see Captain Mercer communicate the classic Star Trek values of peace and goodwill to the Krill.

Is Gordon really command material? Again, it's pretty predictable that he will become a Captain some day. And at least he admitted that a command position will attract women.

Deledrius and Bgt like this.
  12. Serveaux

I was affected that when Kelly challenged him he actually dug down for a self-reflective answer. The scene started with his usual joking evasion and I thought it would go on that way.

Deledrius likes this.
  13. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I honestly wasn't feeling this one as much as last week. Both the A plot and the B plot seemed to be somewhat...contrived.

The whole thing with "crewman Tyler" was obviously some sort of reference to Discovery's first season. People were predicting it as of the season premier because they reused the same actress. I was honestly hoping for a bit more of a slow burn along several episodes. Regardless, while I could see what was going to happen from a mile away, the story beats were rather predictable. Barring that is one head-scratching moment - why she saved Ed when the ship was under attack, rather than just leaving him to die and finding her own escape pod. At first I figured that perhaps she still believed he had actionable intelligence, but since she initially intended to kill him as soon as she was rescued from the planet that wasn't the case. Maybe it was - as Ed said - just because she wasn't faking it as much as was suggested. I did like the conclusion of the episode - their continued attempts to humanize the Krill as individuals even as the culture itself remains a cartoon - but it didn't make up for this really badly plotted twist mid story. It would have been much better if she was somehow knocked out and he rescued her and dragged her into a life pod.

As for the B plot, it was nice for Gordon to finally get some development since Season 1 treated him solely as a joke character and didn't really ever give him a plot of his own. That said, it sort of felt perfunctory on the part of the show, and like it was sort of came out of left field rather than being a logical development of the character.

Deledrius likes this.
  14. Serveaux

It's not Star Trek.

This show has been a revelation for me; it's thrown into stark relief just how stuffy and tiresome Trek has become. I can't unsee that.

15. LJones41

LJones41 Commodore Commodore

Again, I forgot about "The Orville". This is becoming a habit with me.

PiotrB and KennyB like this.
  16. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I just figured she wanted a strong right arm to watch her back while she made it to the pod, if you'll pardon the mixed anatomical metaphors.

Deledrius and Serveaux like this.
  17. thribs

Understandable with Grand Tour, Supernatural and STD on the same day.

18. thribs

I agree with Gordon. Those pictures were grotesque

Deledrius likes this.
  19. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

What's a Discovery? :whistle:

The opening credits were bittersweet without Halston Sage's name for the first time. I really liked this episode. Just like Home, there was less goofiness about it, which probably made for a better storytelling. Don't get me wrong. I enjoy the humor on this show. But the mood was slightly different in that it explored the interpersonal and interracial dynamics between Ed and Janel/Teleya. The moment Teleya walked into the brig to see Ed, I sensed it was her and the Krill ploy became more apparent. My only nitpick is that she'd had plenty of opportunity on the Orville to kill him, but she didn't, and preferred to abduct him instead.

20. thribs

She didn’t want him dead though. She wanted his codes before they off’d him.

Kitty Worrier and Serveaux like this.