The original Star Trek Monthly available again

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by PaulSimpson, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

Is there a special trick to ordering for shipment to the USA? I only see the UK price on that page...

2. PaulSimpson

PaulSimpson Writer/Editor Captain

I believe that it should come up when you input the address. I'll check - but the UK is shut today because of snow (yes, we get 4 inches and the entire infrastructure shuts down!)

P

3. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

I know that happens in Brum alot. As for snow, um yeah, we've hardly got any in my neck of the woods! lol

4. Rosalind

Rosalind TrekLit's Dr Rose Mod Admiral

snow? what snow? it's 25C and sunny outside! :D

5. Ktrek

Ktrek Captain Captain

Actually when you add the item to your basket and check out there are instructions on the righthand side. It says that your credit card company will change the pounds to dollars.

I just ordered mine today. I hope these sell well enough to see all issues released in this format of the original series. I'd love to have original copies but I suppose it would take me years to obtain them all, and probably a small fortune, and thus this is the next best thing.

Kevin

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hey, I think that's actually pretty close to what the weather was like here today too. But then again I live in the desert, and it's summer for you, so it is two very different situations.

7. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Has anyone had trouble with their STM CD? I kept getting script errors and couldn't access anything at all. Everything I clicked on came up with an error, even the licence acceptance screen.

Needless to say I am not very impressed and unless I can get it to work on another computer, I will be ringing up to get my money back!

8. PaulSimpson

I've got 3 random copies here at home, and all are working fine on a Windows XP computer...

9. BrotherBenny

This computer is Vista, but the info says it should work fine. I can say it doesn't.

10. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Which version of Vista do you have and is it a 32 or 64 bit version as I know that stuff on my 32 bit home premium will work fine on my lap top, but not on my brothers PC which is a 64 bit Ultimate version.

11. BrotherBenny

I'm not sure, but it would appear to be a 64-bit Vista Basic. I now know the disc works because my dad tried it on his Linux machine and it worked fine, no error messages.

Vista sucks!

12. Ktrek

Ktrek Captain Captain

Just another reason for me to say with Windows XP I see!

Kevin

13. Ktrek

Ktrek Captain Captain

Paul - My copy finally arrived today! It's pretty cool. I do wish that the image was just a little cleaner but it's still readable. I read entirely through issue one. It's like having your own little time capsule. I didn't realize that John Freeman had been doing reviews of Star Trek books since the very first issue. Of course how could I since I had never read an issue before? :lol:

I think this is an awesome way to preserve the past and I hope it sells well enough for you guys to press forward to get the entire run released in this format. I'll buy them for sure! :techman:

Kevin

14. PaulSimpson

John was the very first editor of the magazine, and has occasionally come back in to help out across the run. Jim Swallow actually did the reviews for the majority of the run - John took over comparatively recently.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Paul

15. BrotherBenny

My machine, complete with new hard drive, is now back up and running and the STM-1 disc works perfectly.

Hooray

Vista still sucks

16. Ktrek

Ktrek Captain Captain

Paul - Do you know if sales have been good enough for this project to go forward past Vol. 1? I am really digging my copy and want the rest now! :)

Kevin

17. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

John Freeman is a Trek legend. He's been around for years (didn't he do some work for Marvel's old ST:TNG comic?), and presided over one of the best runs STM ever had.

18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The only TNG comics Marvel ever published were Star Trek Unlimited, a combined TOS/TNG title that ran more or less bimonthly from 1996-8, and two TNG one-shots in 1998, one of which was an X-Men crossover. And those were all written by Dan Abnett & Ian Edgington.

Could you be thinking of the DC-published TNG comics that were written by Michael Jan Friedman?

19. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Captain Captain

Trek Survivor is probably referring to the Marvel UK magazine which reprinted some of the DC comics, Christopher.

20. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sorry Christopher, I should be more specific. DarkHorizon is right - in 1990-1991 Marvel UK published a ST:TNG comic/magazine, which reprinted Starlog articles (inc. their Mission Reports) and DC comic strip. It lasted for 24 issues.