The origin of your username

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Timofnine, Jul 5, 2022.

1. RaisedEyeBrow

RaisedEyeBrow Lieutenant Junior Grade Newbie

Oh, drats! I attempted a thread like this but was told that there already was one. Plus, I had even searched the word "screen name" and "screenname" and didn't find one. However, Timofnine used the word "username" in his title. ;)

But anyway, I didn't want to spend too much time making up a screenname or username, but I had thought about how my favorite characters on Star Trek were the unique characters, so I had thought about Star Trek's first unique character, and thought about one of his characteristics that he was probably most known for, which was his raised eyebrow.

Gary Mitchell and Timofnine like this.
  2. RaisedEyeBrow

RaisedEyeBrow Lieutenant Junior Grade Newbie

There's something that I love about the word or name Locutus.

Timofnine and Locutus of Bored like this.
  3. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

I've been in the Architecture business for almost 30 years- but I had only been in it for around 5 years when I first joined up.

4. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

It was a difficult decision, actually. In honor of the legendary Q for TNG, combined with the fact that my Atari 130XE's random number generator was more or less unpredictable, so "Qonundrum" was the answer.

(Usually, my avatar also references Q's countenance in some form... actually, he's there in the current one was well...)

Timofnine likes this.
  5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Uh...isn't it supposed to be? ;)

6. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My user name plays off of my initials as well as the old "Distant Early Warning Line" of the first Cold War.

Nothing more involved than that.

Timofnine likes this.
  7. Admiral Archer

Admiral Archer Captain Captain

Mine was developed during the hype surrounding Star Trek (2009) on the official movie forum. Because Admiral Archer was name dropped in the film, and because he was the only character from the 1966-2005 Star Trek collective media that the movie acknowledged who had existed prior to the Kelvin timeline split, I decided he was the perfect representation of me; a fan of both timelines, who had been a fan in one era and continued on to the next.

I suppose in retrospect I could have picked Spock Prime or Nero just as easily, but I wanted a human character, and one that I associated more with (Spock is too logical, and Nero is a bad guy LOL).

Count Zero and Timofnine like this.
  8. The God Thing

The God Thing Theos Ek Mekhanes Red Shirt

9. Timofnine

Timofnine Saintly henchman of Santa Premium Member

I used to have this book.

Maybe JJ Abraham’s can use it as a basis for his next reboot movie? I have not read it in like 20+ years so it could be absolute rubbish, I am perhaps remembering it through rose tinted glasses. The concept was rejected as a movie in the 1970’s but who knows in this day and age…anything goes! It could be an alternative to rebooting ‘The Motion Picture’ if there are licensing issues at Paramount around V’Ger. :D

10. The God Thing

The God Thing Theos Ek Mekhanes Red Shirt

Um, no you didn’t. :)The novel was never finished by GR before the project mutated into TMP and the post-mortem attempts to have it completed by others never received approval from GR’s estate. A draft script is apparently floating around somewhere but I have never seen it.

TGT

11. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's Abrams. Please get his name right.

Also, Roddenberry opted to not go forward with it, and even advised Shatner to not have Kirk and company find God in ST V because of the challenges he encountered in creating this concept.

12. Timofnine

It must have been the script that I had read then, but I have definitely read it… it is probably on my old computer. :shrug:

13. Timofnine

My apologies…. Abrams.

I have googled some background information for you on this, hopefully it will help you in your search:

https://web.archive.org/web/20141102224230/http://www.well.com/~sjroby/godthing.html

I definitely remember reading this story in some form... if anybody else has, test me and ask me some questions and I’ll probably be able to prove it as I have a good memory. I used to read Star Trek material in multiple formats back in the day… including from people here on TrekBBS as well as ‘published’ paper books. It is also possible that I once read a very in-depth thread on this topic which I am mistaking for a book? I *definitely* think that I have read some form of ‘The God Thing’ though, whether it be original material or fan produced. :shrug:

14. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I can well imagine a script being printed in some form, even if just in a fanzine or other publication.

15. Timofnine

Might just even do my own fan fiction version of it… starring Seven of Nine!!!

16. JesterFace

JesterFace Fleet Captain Commodore

I wish I had chosen another name in 2014, Dimefield.
    I use it in many sites but for some reason not here, I don't remember why....

17. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

You can change it if you want. Just send a PM to TBonz / TBoo.

Although please note that permanent name changes are suspended in October because of the Halloween names.

18. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

I dimly remember a fan fiction story (posted here on the board) by that name -- but I think that it was just an alternative version of TMP and didn't feature an alien being god-like. Maybe you're thinking of that one.

The origin of my username is a novel by William Gibson. I wanted something science-fictiony that also sounds like a person (a count named Zero).

Commander Troi likes this.
  19. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

The so-called "God Thing" script is just titled STAR TREK II. It's 123 pages long.
    Screenshot 2022-10-06 8.43.00 PM.png Screenshot 2022-10-06 8.44.07 PM.png

Count Zero likes this.
  20. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

You could even repurpose it in October as a Trek Halloween-themed name if you wanted. Just photoshop a cape and some vampire fangs onto:

[​IMG]

:D

Commander Troi and Count Zero like this.