The one sad thing about DS9

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Data Holmes, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

They wrapped it up too soon. The dominion war could have, and should have, gone on for a few more years than it did. The show should have run for three to five more seasons on the dominion war before it ended, with the last set after the dominion end, cardassian space is in shambles, and the breen decide to continue in a conflict against the fed without their allies.

2. DrTaylor

DrTaylor Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

This is the ONE sad thing? There were tons of sad things. That said, I think more seasons would be bad. Once you get past a sixth season of a TV show, less is more because it could very quickly become "The X-Files"... nine seasons and half of the eps from the last two were just bizarre.

Speaking of which, did you all hear they finally gave Duchovny the script for the new X-Files movie?

3. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

They could have went with the rumored plan from the last season:

The rumor was that the Voyager was supposed to make it home at the end of the fourth season and pick up the war storyline.

4. Photon

Photon Commodore Commodore

Agree. I could have gone on to at least 2001 (end of Voyager) and still been as good.

5. Navaros

Navaros Commodore Commodore

Totally agree with the original post. The Dominion War had lots more meat on it's bones and DS9 needed a few more seasons to fully explore that alone, and then another couple at least tacked on top of that to deal with the aftermath.

6. Titus Andronicus

Titus Andronicus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Really? That's an interesting rumor. I'd never heard that one, but I would've loved to have seen that. I also would've like to have seen more reaction to the Voyager crew about the fact that, back home, everything they knew and loved was hanging in the balance in a devastating war.

7. Doomsday

Doomsday Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Being a big fan if DS9, I would also have loved for it to continue for many years more.

However, I don't agree that the Dominion War storyline should have continued. As riveting as it was, as a viewer, a certain fatigue-level can set in when a single storyline drags on and on and on, especially one as dark as the Dominion War.

I'm not saying they should ignore the Dominion, the recovery of both sides from the ravages of war would have made interesting storytelling in and of themselves. But that's also a good time to introduce a new set of conflicts or adversaries that will take the characters and the Star Trek Universe into new directions.

8. DanTheGrey

DanTheGrey Vice Admiral Admiral

The Dominion Was definitely one of the defining DS9 "things" right or wrong. It just didn't have a role in any of the other shows, nor should it have. Maybe a TNG movie could have touched on it but not much more.

In terms of the 7 year stretch, that's a damn good run by any stretch of the imagination and to be hoenst some of the shows that have gone on longer (like X-Files) seriously lost some quality towards the end.

In a weird way though, the Vanguard novels are kind of DS9 sort of setting back in the TOS. Border station, surrounded by enemies, mystery to unravel....it's not DS9 but it's got some of the elements. Also the relaunch novels have done a good job, but at the same time made me realize that the show would have been on fumes by now.

Of course if they ever do a 25th century series I'd want DS9 to be one of the settings :D

9. CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would have liked to see one more season of Deep Space Nine, to see what happened to everyone involved in the Dominion War.

10. Lee T

Lee T Captain Captain

I'm not in favour of more episodes/seasons, instead I wish they had planned it a lot more from the get go. Keep the same storylines but more elaborated and with more space with less purely episodic content. Cut into the slow start to give more airtime to the things they rushed in the end.

11. jimbtnp2

jimbtnp2 Commander

still the last two seasons of xfiles are far suprior to modern trek

12. Trekwatcher

Trekwatcher Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

First: Don't shoot me.

Second; I think seven seasons was enough. As I have said in several threads (and about TNG, VOY, and DS9) I think that often these shows go on too long. I really, genuinely believe that you can do everything you possibly NEED to do in 3-4 seasons. That is 75-100 shows-a lot of screen time. I felt that TNG, VOY, and DS9 dragged in the end, I suspect at least partially due to general fatigue on the part of the creative people.

Did latter seasons of DS9 have great shows? Sure. Was seven seasons enough for me? Yes.

13. DBR

DBR Vice Admiral Admiral

If any Trek show should have run more than seven season, I think DS9 was the one. I've heard "end it on a high note," but I think DS9 could still have done this after, say, nine seasons.

Major changes would not have to have been made (like Stargate after season eight or The X-files after Duchovney) unless more than a few of the cast wanted to leave. I honestly believe that there were many stories that could have been explored in various episodes, while maintaining the Domminon War arc as an aside. Well, I believe those stories could have been solid and not-done, at any rate.

TNG would have been more of the same. I don't want to talk about Voyager. :p

14. Crewman6

Crewman6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

the Dominion War had already gone on too long and was getting boring.

I still prefer Season 1-3 when the show had more texture and variety. The war was cool and all, but it started to get a little repetitive.

15. anti-matter

anti-matter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think a story like DS9 (because it was based on a transitive type space station) and because it was like a soap opera...because my wife tells me it was, could still be going strong today. There are successful soap operas that have had a run of over 20 years...and there still making money. It's all in the writing. there's nothing wrong with rehashing old stories.

I recently thought of that because of a recent TrekToday news item...the one that released the passing of Jack B. Sowards who co-wrote the 'Wrath of Khan'.

That was a great movie based on the simple idea on what became of Khan from the TOS episode. Likewise DS9 could revisit old storylines and update them to. Of course like in RL you would have new faces replacing the main characters because that's the way it is in RL too.

For me one of the main appeals of DS9 was the ensemble cast...although I didn't realize it at the time it make for a fresher continuing unfolding of the big story.

16. votd

votd Commander Red Shirt

The trouble with making DS9 like a soap is that soaps change the cast around constantly in order to keep the 'freshness'; also American soaps seem to have to have bizarre family connections randomly appear between characters. Soaps can rehash storylines because the newer characters can approach the situation differently; would you really want a new cast every season?

I know the soap thing was just a comparison not an actual idea, just my two penneth.

17. omnirad

omnirad Commander Red Shirt

Seven years was enough. You don't want to out stay your welcome. Sure, the story lines and characters could have continued, but 'all good things...'

18. nickyboy

nickyboy Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

they should have spent an entire season wrapping it up rather than 10 episodes, but i would have been all for a season 8 to do this

19. ChooseSlack

ChooseSlack Ensign Red Shirt

I don't think they wanted to overshadow Next Gen by going more then 7 seasons.

20. anti-matter

anti-matter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^Naw...all TPTB care about is the money. If it was still drawing top advertising dollars They would have extended it...but the ratings weren't there...or so I've heard.

Another thing to keep in mind is the actors under contract have lives too. They plan on moving on and doing other roles.