The OFFICIAL STNG Next Level Bluray watch and review thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by RAMA, Jan 28, 2012.

1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

This. :techman:

2. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    We watched SOTF last night and it looks phenomenal!

That has bothered me since I was a little kid.

3. DostoyevskyClone

DostoyevskyClone Captain Captain

I thought this when watching early scenes from "Sins of the Father." I wondered if I had just become accustomed to the different lighting of EaF...

4. Borjis

Borjis Commodore Commodore

cuz brits are bigger penny pinchers? ;)

5. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah but before you could just pretend that the scene was shifting to another section of space. Now that there are two different starfields within the same rings, I'm not sure how to interpret it.

6. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

CGI from 10 years ago would look about the same in non-HD, from 15 years, ago not too bad. Jurassic Park still holds up at almost 19 years, and Voyager's first CGI had 6 times the detail of those dinosaurs in 1995, just two years later. Also, it wouldn't be SD forever, since they could re-do it. In particular, CGI mattes are usually way above the quality of most 2D matte paintings.

Once CGI reaches a certain level or rez that matches what we watch today and what it was designed for, it'll look no different than models. We're practically there now anyway...Hobbit and Avatar 2 will be shot in 4k and 64fps, you'll never have to tinker with the FX. Look at low or medium budget physical model work from the 90s and 80s, they look pretty bad too, they could use makeovers...George Lucas even realized this with his work. So this idea that models and paintings are inherently superior is silly.

It is bright, but I've always had a preference for a dark and contrasty picture...always adjusted tint so the old SD STNG looked like red unis rather than the pink...I was just so used to it I forgot they didn't look red! Its pretty easy to adjust with a few button pushes.

RAMA

7. davejames

By the time we get to the later seasons, I imagine it won't have the same kind of impact (except perhaps for some of the more iconic episodes like BOBW).

But the first two seasons have always looked SO drab and dated to me-- what with those ugly uniforms and that ugly red tint the show often had-- that the remastering should make every episode feel dramatically new and different from before.

Personally, I can't wait to see every one.

8. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

9. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Sirtis spends most of the episode looking like she's about to burst into tears at any moment.

10. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

Well imho anything but the very top level of CGI (which includes the spectacular 1993 JP effort) suffer from uncanny valley - they are blatantly computer generated and fake looking because they can't quite get it right. Models never have this issue because they are real, and highly detailed models look real and give a sense of scale that CGI does not.

Not all CGI is guilty of this, there are lots of examples of CGI that does not suffer from looking blatantly computer generated and 'fake' but this does not include any CGI from Star Trek TV shows imho. It is a shame they could not have used models all the way until the end of Enterprise... but nvm! all imho.

Its also great to go behind the scenes and see how they made the practical effects back in the day and actually see all the physical models and paintings, whereas now its just a bunch of folks sitting at a computer manipulating polygons :( Those models and paintings still exist somewhere but all those old CGI files and textures are long gone. Could you imagine TMP spacedock sequences being replaced with CGI? No way!

11. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

So guys, I got a Blu Ray Drive today....how the f**k do I take screenshots? Hollywood says that's illegal, but thats bullshit. Surely someone found a way around this rediculous "feature"?

12. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

That second one is one of my more favorite shots of the ship.

I wonder if they'll fix a slight continuity issue in that episode with the exterior shots of the Enterprise? In the episode the shuttlebay door is open when the ship first experiences a stabilization problem (it happens just before they prepare to launch "the egg" to study the phenomenon) but when the action switches fro the shuttlebay set to the outside of the ship we see the shuttlebay doors are closed, obviously because they don't open on the model.

13. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I know there's software that "unlocks" DVDs, I would assume it works the same with bluray. I used to use slysoft, for example.

14. Beatnik

Beatnik Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

BSG used CG quite convincingly for its ships. I don't know if it was the modelling, lighting, or what, but it's well within the grasp of a TV budget now.

15. DostoyevskyClone

DostoyevskyClone Captain Captain

I totally, 100% agree. Ideally, consistency would be great, so hopefully they decide to go with white streaks throughout.

I kept my eye on the ‘sky’ as Riker walks to the end of the mall for transport in EaF. I thought the ‘sky’ effects from the first couple of seasons were so plain and so clearly a soundstage. I realize toying with the sky to make it look more like a sky would be going outside their rules, but it’s not straying too far to me if you consider they technically toyed with the town in “The Inner Light.”

Yeah, I stand corrected. It looks about as bad in the original. ;)

Good point. With regards to the reuse of the EaF Enterprise shot in SofF though, there seemed to be something off with that shot itself (I knew it was a reuse). I’m not sure what it was; I almost want to say the ship seemed to skew unnaturally for a split second. I haven’t seen a comment on this so I guess it was a 2 AM hallucination?

Agreed.

Yeah, that probably sounded like I was getting worked up, but I was just reusing the language of a previous poster. It was a disappointment, but in retrospect, it was one of the few effect shots where I knew ahead of time that something might be off, so it’s probably not fair of me to bash it that much.

Not that they should simply submit to fan demands, but with this sampler, they actually have a rare chance to get *broad* feedback before a finished product goes out. I mean, if 95% of people have an issue with something, then would it hurt to take it into consideration?

Other thoughts:

The Enterprise delivering the energy beam: I thought this was a big improvement on the original. I agree with those who said the angle was a terrible choice, but if they are determined to stay with what was originally there, then they did about as good as I think they can do with that. The shot (before remaster) looked quite bad: like a painting of the Enterprise with a beam coming out of it.

Transporter effects: I thought they looked great. Different people have different priorities, but reflections on the floor (or lack thereof) weren’t a big deal for me.

A plot point I never noticed before during “The Inner Light”: does anyone else find it hilarious that both Picard’s wife and best friend just let him walk off into the hills after having a fever and asking such questions as, “WHAT PLANET AM I ON?” Are you kidding me?! :lol:

16. davejames

Agreed. I'm just happy that they've finally brightened the beam up, and removed that dull, overly-pixalated look it had.

Same goes for Q's energy orb and the phaser beams. It was just amazing to me how much cleaner and sharper every effect was.

Even Q's "flash" effect looked brighter and more realistic.

17. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre 3 can take screenshots. If you can't find it, then you need AnyDVDHD (you can get a free trial) to patch the disc's copy protection while it's in the drive. Once that's done, you need a player such as PowerDVD. Open the BDMV folder on the disc, browse to the "STREAM" folder and find the 3 largest files. The biggest one should be "Encounter at Farpoint". Drag that .m2ts file onto PowerDVD and it should start the episode. Now you should be able to take screenshots. In the PowerDVD settings, you can choose where to save them and what compression to use.

18. Borjis

Borjis Commodore Commodore

It will be quite interesting to see what they do with the space creatures in "Galaxy's Child."

That definitely gives off the look of the CGI of the time. The texturing and lighting was terrible on that. Something tells me that was never put on film.

19. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

I'm interested in seeing episodes like 11001001, The Neutral Zone, Contagion, Where Silence Has Lease, Time Squared and Q, Who?.

20. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

0_o

But In VLC I just push a button...