The Newsroom.

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Guy Gardener, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Well, that really brought the conversation forward.

2. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Being in Europe as well I would tend to agree with that. Democrats=centre/centre right. Republican's = right.

3. Rowdy Roddy McDowall

Rowdy Roddy McDowall Commodore Rear Admiral

John McCain was plenty centrist until Obama emerged as a Democratic equivalent, at which point the media couldn't seem to accept two centrists running against each other from opposing parties. So repainting began, and McCain was portrayed as just another right-wing frother. Still, it's undeniable that non-centrists in both parties made it exceedingly difficult for Obama or McCain to remain centrist. In short, their own far-left and far-right supporters. They know who they are.

4. IndyJones

IndyJones Vice Admiral Admiral

Sure.

Well, either that or it had something to do with McCain abandoning positions he had long held in favor of positions further to the right, and acting like anyone who supported those other positions was a communist nutter. :shifty:

5. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

John MCcain does not really care abot tax policy and other deatails. His primary interest always was the military.

6. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

And such a guy should be president? Running a country is about far more than just the military.

Fortunately the US elected a guy who had greater scope.

7. Drago-Kazov

Obama is a a terrible person like most politicians. MCcain is crazy, i would never vote for him.

8. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Mmm, doesn't seem like a terrible person to me, but then again that's on the media. At least he seems to have vision, which is more than McCain and Romney have.

9. Drago-Kazov

I personally dislike people with grand visions i like if everyone has his own little vision and it can pursue it. Just to avoid misunderstandings i dont think he is a horrible person based on what Fox says expect for Stossel who does some decent stuff. I am basing my opinion on other left and right sources like the Realnews.com.

Does Obama really has a vision? What kind of vision?

10. Rowdy Roddy McDowall

Rowdy Roddy McDowall Commodore Rear Admiral

A vision of hope.

A vision of change.

A vision of Biden not saying anything moronic for up to ten days.

Obama and McCain are still centrists. Biden and Palin are still beyond hopeless even if they claim to be centrist.

11. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

:lol: This idiot makes Dan Quayle look like a candidate for Mensa.

12. Australis

If everyone has a vision, then there's no direction. Everyone just takes off in their own direction. A good leader has a big vision, then extends his hand to you and says, "Come with me, this will be good". I get that vibe from Obama. I don't get it from McCain, Palin, certainly not Bush or, tbh, Kerry (I thougth Kerry was ok, but not a visionary). Obama has the vision, but a lot of shit, like the GFC, have got in the way, why don't the Right ever give any credit that it couldn't have been a lot worse, frankly, under Bush or Romney - those guys would just close everything.

13. Drago-Kazov

14. EnderAKH

EnderAKH Commodore Premium Member

The Georgia Forestry Commission?

15. Australis

Global Financial Crisis

16. Drago-Kazov

Australis posts:
    common interests make them cooperate all the time.

I don't thinlk Obama has that anymore, he is just an another politician in most peoples eyes.Blacks will show up because he is the first machiavellian supervillain among them who achieved the presidency. We will see what the rest will decide.

Obama made plenty of promises he could had kept like the ones about openess in the US government.

What do youu mean by that?

Mitt is an oppurtinist and Bush was a "compassianate conservative". I don't recall government shrinking under Bush.

17. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

This post contains nothing about The Newsroom, and you have expressed little interest in discussing or watching the show, preferring to pontificate at great length about your particular political hobbyhorses. While obviously politics are going to be discussed from time to time in conjunction with the show due to its subject matter, that's not what you're doing any more. Why not take the unrelated political discussion to TNZ and let the actual fans have their thread back?

I don't mod this forum, so that's not an order in any way (only a request), it's just kind of annoying that this entire thread has become about discussing your political views.

18. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

I agree. Whenever I see there's a new post in this thread I end up disappointed because they aren't about the show anymore.

On that note, are there any news about a Blu-Ray/DVD release? And how are you guys holding up now that we've entered the long time of no new episodes? I've become addicted to show-related posts on tumblr.

19. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Overall the first season was ok, not as good as "The West Wing" but better than "Studio 60...".

I really should do a TWW rewatch thread.

20. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

I've just rewatched my personal favorite episode.. the one where it's about the killing of Osama and i'm still amazed about the perfect balance of seriousness, relationship stuff and humor (i still laugh hard when the boss finds out that stoned Will McAvoy is sitting on an email for 20 minutes by Biden confirming the kill.. "Are you kidding me?" :guffaw::guffaw:).

Alongside House of Lies it is the discovery i made last TV season and just as with House of Lies, Californication, Game of Thrones or True Blood i make do not seeing them for nearly a year.

Actually it is a good balance between fall/winter TV shows which end usually in May, then a small gap until June/July and when the summer shows finish it's again a small 1-2 month gap until fall season again.

Still doesn't make it easy but seeing them again is so much fun that i forget about the dry spell.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012