The New Mutants -- news, rumors, opix, etc;

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

So the correct name would be Warpath, given that "Thunderbird" could refer to either one of them?

2. The Mighty Monkey of Mim

The Mighty Monkey of Mim Commodore Commodore

LIVE ON STAGE AT THE ALHAMBRA, ONE NIGHT ONLY!
    James Proudstar, known originally as the second Thunderbird and later as Warpath, is the character associated with the New Mutants. He was portrayed by Booboo Stewart in the Days Of Future Past film. His elder brother John, the first Thunderbird, was in the X-Men and was killed in the line of duty. He was never a New Mutant in the comics and has not been portrayed in any of the films thus far.

3. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  4. Turtletrekker

Well, the Maisie Williams rumor may have been false (or at least denied), but Williams is down for it. Also, note that she technically doesn't deny it, either. She's aware of the project and is familiar with the director. Hmmm...

Gibraltar likes this.
  5. kitik

kitik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

6. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Wait, so Warlock, but no Cypher? I know his power isn't showy, but its pretty useful, and with a good writer it can be interesting. Still, I'm excited and hope this movie turns out great.

7. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I liked the two as buddies. I will point out that this lineup is the lineup from right after the death of Doug in Fall of the Mutants.

8. Turtletrekker

9. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Probably McAvoy.

10. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Yep.

It's looking increasingly likely that New Mutants is the film that Kinberg was referring to when he said that the "next one will be set in the '90s".

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

If it is the '90s movie then McAvoy would be most likely, but the article does say it's rumored to be present day, so it could still be Stewart. Stawart is doing Wolverine 3, so he's obviously still happy to play Prof. X.

12. DigificWriter

That article uses the phrase "assumed to be set in the present", but that doesn't mean anything at all, really, because it's just an assumption and could easily turn out to be completely wrong.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's why I said rumored. We still don't know for sure if it is the '90s set movie, and the article did say it might be in the present day so I didn't see the harm in mentioning it.

14. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

A film, or film series, set in the 90's that lines up with the other 6 X-Men films could make for a very interesting franchise overall. Fox has films set in the 60's right on through present day with Wolverine 3 taking place in an unknown span of time in the future. Presumably linear from X-Men 3 & Wolverine 2.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Honestly, I thinking New Mutants will most likely be in the present, since the two spin-offs we've gotten so far, The Wolverine and Deadpool, were both set in the present while the main series has been continually covering the past.

16. Alidar Jarok

I hope New Mutants is in the present. If I had a choice, I'd have Colossus appear rather than any other as an adult character.

17. DigificWriter

We know Xavier is in New Mutants, and it seems more likely that it'd be James McAvoy's younger version than Patrick Stewart's older version since that version is already showing up in Wolverine 3.

18. Turtletrekker

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  19. Alidar Jarok

That was hinted at a while ago, so it should be no surprise. Really, the only issue was whether Doug was going to be there too.

20. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

No Cypher is annoying. I guess looking at some of the cooler, more unique uses of his power didn't defeat the attitude of "His power is language? LAME" :sigh: Warlock/Cypher together are a really big part of the team, but I guess its just easier not to write poor Doug. Also, I'm definitely no excited in the choice of writers. Still, I'll hold out hope. I like most X-Men movies (I even liked Apocalypse), so as long as New Mutants isn't as bad as Wolverine Origins (the only X-Men movie I really dislike), it should be at least ok.