The New Editors of the Star Trek Book Series

Well, I guess since the films have new overlords (although that happened in '07), I can see why someone might assume the books underwent a similar shake-up.

I'm not sure why the fact that Star Trek film adaptations have new producers at Paramount -- a separate company from CBS Studios, which owns Star Trek -- should mean anything for book adaptations over at S&S. You're talking about three different companies.

Well, I guess since the films have new overlords (although that happened in '07), I can see why someone might assume the books underwent a similar shake-up.

I'm not sure why the fact that Star Trek film adaptations have new producers at Paramount -- a separate company from CBS Studios, which owns Star Trek -- should mean anything for book adaptations over at S&S. You're talking about three different companies.
Actually, two companies. Simon & Schuster is owned by CBS, just as CBS Studios is. Paramount Pictures is still owned by Viacom. Corporate nepotism at its finest.

^No, it is three different companies, it's just that they're all owned by the same conglomerate. CBS Corporation and Viacom themselves are both owned by Sumner Redstone's National Amusements, so ultimately all three companies are under the same umbrella. But they're still three distinct businesses.

I am not going to name authors; but there are some books that just slowly drag you through and then there are others like Rise Like Lions, where you want to finish the book in one sitting.

I have found that personal circumstances can greatly affect a reader's response to a novel. If you're relaxed and on vacation, a book's storyline or characters might appeal to you - and the reading experience becomes all-consuming. If you're stressed and time-poor, even a highly-recommended page-turner can become turgid for you.

Doesn't always work that way, but it certainly seems to fit some of those books which polarize the readership.

^No, it is three different companies, it's just that they're all owned by the same conglomerate. CBS Corporation and Viacom themselves are both owned by Sumner Redstone's National Amusements, so ultimately all three companies are under the same umbrella. But they're still three distinct businesses.

Yeah -- though, minor quibble: National Amusements doesn't own CBS and Viacom. Rather, National Amusements owns controlling shares of both corporations.

Not that Redstone knows or cares who is editing the Star Trek novels . . . .

Which is the point: that there's no reason to assume that changes in who produces the movies would require a change in who edits the books, because those are different levels and different branches of the corporate hierarchy.

Heck, Tor and St. Martin's Press are owned by the same corporation and located in the same building, but, back when I worked in the Flatiron, I had almost no contact with the editorial staff at SMP, most of whom I could not have picked out of a lineup. And a big German corporation owns both publishers, but I've never actually spoken with one of the Germans in the twenty-plus years I've been editing books for Tor. I've never even laid eyes on one.

That all takes place on a much higher corporate level where the Powers That Be have bigger things to worry about who is editing tv tie-in novels . . . .

Last edited:
Does that mean that the Germans and the Jews (at simon and Schuster) have reached a new level of understanding?

Does that mean that the Germans and the Jews (at simon and Schuster) have reached a new level of understanding?

You've been told before not to bring this sort of things on the board, so here's your infraction. Comment to PM.

Sorry to dredge this shit up again, but my only problem with the editors --and it's a big one, dating from two years ago when a different editor was in charge anyway-- is that there are still no nuTrek novels and probably won't be until Bad Robot are through with the franchise. Other than that, they're doing a great job.

I do get a buzz when the icy Delta Vega's mentioned in Paths of Disharmony, or Geordi orders a Cardassian Sunrise in Indistingushable From Magic, or something that sounds just like Red Matter pops up briefly in Watching the Clock. Those were cool little references, and much appreciated by this nuTrek nut.

Also in Indistinguishable from Magic, Scotty's unfortunate "blond" period...heh.

Huh, that's fits Simon Pegg perfectly. But when I read it, I thought it was a nod at the old Gold Key comics, which frequently drew Scotty as a blonde in a green shirt.

Huh, that's fits Simon Pegg perfectly. But when I read it, I thought it was a nod at the old Gold Key comics, which frequently drew Scotty as a blonde in a green shirt.

^A blonde? That would be even funnier, since as a noun, "blonde" is always feminine (a man would be a blond).

Back