The Man in the High Castle season 2

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Snick27, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Snick27

Snick27 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

[New Season 12/16/16] The Emmy nominated series, The Man in the High Castle, returns for a thrilling second season. As peace between Germany and Japan hangs in the balance, the urgency to find the man in the high castle becomes even more desperate. Meanwhile, the revelations about the films set our characters on a collision course, the outcome of which could have devastating repercussions.

2. Snick27

I loved the first season and hope im not alone. 3 months till the second season so hope this isnt too early. MIght go back and rewatch the first season.

3. Snick27

4. Hugo Rune

Hugo Rune Vice Admiral Admiral

Interested, but after the loss the S1 showrunner, Frank Spotnitz, I am wary of whether the quality will remain.

5. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Please tell me it starts with Joe and Julia dying in a fireball and we then concentrate solely on the much more interesting characters.

6. Snick27

7. Snick27

8. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Deadline reports that Stephen Root has been cast as the eponymous character, Hawthrone Abendsen. A clip of the character is in the link, which has spoilers (Hawthorne explains the nature of the films).

9. Snick27

Season 2 was released today. Anyone check it out yet? I will this weekend.

10. The Nth Doctor

Actually, it's released tomorrow.

I'll probably watch it sometime this weekend.

11. Snick27

No i started to watch some of it that last night. Said all episodes available.

The Tiger's Cave
    Release date: December 15, 2016

12. The Nth Doctor

Huh. Then I guess the Wikipedia page is wrong or Amazon decided to release a day early.

13. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

Yeah, Amazon released it early. I'm on episode 8. Season 2 is a bit better than season 1, though I'm sure people will disagree with that. It immerses you more in the world, and Tagomi gets a lot to do this year, as does Frank.

People have criticized this show in the past for being slow, but I just love the world-building. I find it fascinating.

14. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

It's definitely a lot better than the first season in that there are actual storylines that breathe -- the first season was conceived as a four-part SyFy miniseries that wound up being stretched for ten episodes.

15. Kahless the Unforgettable

Kahless the Unforgettable Captain Captain

Yeah, I'm only two episodes in and now that the foundation has been set via the first season, the second season is free to actually get into the meat of the story.

16. sttngfan1701d

On the last episode now. This season's story is pretty great. I love the extra detail and the Cold War parallels.

But I'm sick of the Resistance. They're total idiots. The show is about shades of grey and all, but really...in a world where the Axis Powers are heinous and evil and oppressive, and we hate them...the Resistance sucks just as much. I'm literally rooting for them to be destroyed as well. They're really annoying.

17. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, after recent events here in the US, this show is just not as much fun.

18. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What is it about these alt-history Nazis that they respect the Canadian and Mexican borders? From the imagery here and the map in Enterprise Nazi episode, it's just the United States that falls under Nazi/Axis rule.

19. sttngfan1701d

Huh? They show the world map twice during the second season, and it shows that probably 60% of the World is under Nazi rule. Canada is included in the Greater Nazi Reich. Parts of Mexico are under Japanese rule, while the rest is part of the "Neutral Zone" that divides North America and runs down through Central America. They've divided South America (Nazis have most, though). Japan has most of Asia. The Nazis have all of Europe, the Middle East, and Africa (though in the book, Africa has been completely destroyed by nukes). The bulk of Russia (Siberia) forms another Neutral Zone, while the Japanese have a slice near the Pacific and also control Alaska.

The Reich is so large compared to Japanese territory, and the gulf in technology is rather vast, both of which play into the fears on both sides that WW3 is inevitable. And that's why the "Cold War" storyline of season 2 is so interesting.

20. The Nth Doctor

Fascinating second season as the show splits further away from the novel (which was to be expected). While at first I didn't know what to make of it, I really enjoyed the quiet moments that Tagomi experienced in the alternate version of the world he visited. In fact, his experience and the suggestion of other crossovers reminded me of 1Q84 on a surface level.

I wasn't sure how I would feel about watching this season considering the events in the U.S. In fact, one of the things that stood out to me about the show is how relatively chummy everyone in the Nazi world seems to be. What I mean by that is I didn't feel a strong sense of racism, bigotry, sexism beyond the occasional statements of being the master race, the situation regarding Thomas' illness and the murdering of the boat Joe was on. Maybe it's just me, but the whole Nazi atmosphere felt rather vanilla now. Conversely, I felt far more hatred in general in the Japanese Pacific States than I did with any of the Nazi territories.

I also agree with sttngfan1701d that the Resistance come off very poorly all around and their nasty actions make them very hard to sympathize (beyond Frank, Juliana and Sara). I hope this is something that is improved on next season. One thing that I did love about the Resistance is how they have three Cylons involved. I hope this means Lucy Lawless will show up next season as an important leader.

We didn't get confirmation one way or the other, but I do hope at least Frank survived the bombing (Sara would be nice, too, but I'm not holding my breath). He's one of my favorite characters, both in the show and the novel.